Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
N

It is only an urban legend for those who don't work woth or are not exposed to these communities. Get your politically correct head outta yer arse and open your eyes.

I cannot speak to the op's situation, but I have 1000s of my own experiences.
Hey..go to the schools and see what cars the "free lunch" kids get dropped off from. Yeah..must be their rich uncle or aunt.

You'd think the school was upper middle class from the cars that drop off kids in the morning. In reality over 80% of the kids there are on free/reduced lunch. Don't forget we had the big "cash for clunkers" so they all must have traded them in.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I did too Big George. I thought that directly giving food over money would get the food to those that need it. Boy was I surprised at who came in there. I gave up donating the food and volunteering. Too much abuse of charity by the wrong people.
It's an experience that everyone should have, isn't it? "The needy" in America are a class all their own.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I did too Big George. I thought that directly giving food over money would get the food to those that need it. Boy was I surprised at who came in there. I gave up donating the food and volunteering. Too much abuse of charity by the wrong people.
That's the spirit.

Because not donating is definitely going to hurt that group of people who are abusing the system and do not need to go to the food bank and it will totally NOT hurt the people who have no other options at all.

Good idea!

Instead of fixing the system, lets just abandon those who actually need help in order to spite people who do not.

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
So today I am at the grocery store with only one woman in line in front of me. I think hooray my lucky day. WRONG! She is buying about 20 jars of baby food a couple boxes of dry baby cereal and several cans of baby formula. Then I see her hand the check out clerk several WIC checks.

If you have ever been caught behind one of these transactions it takes considerable time. Apparently each check is only good for a certain dollar amount and the clerk must seperate the groceries into groups for each check. ARRRG.
Well to top it off the woman is Hispanic and speaks little english. So my blood pressure begins to rise. I suspect I am witnessing another abuse of our government assistance system. Well she finally gets done and leaves ahead of me.
As I depart the store having used my debit card in a matter of seconds guess what I see. The youngish woman who appears to be in good health, loading her free food into a new Ford Expedition. On top of that she is parked in the handicap space and has a handicap placard hanging from her mirror. Oh and the Expedition had some very nice custom wheels on it.
This woman is playing the system for all she can. And it ticks me off to no end. When is the government going to tighten up the qualifications for all this free crap that we are paying for? She is probably getting housing assistance too.

She may have numerous identities as well.

Who knows how many checks she gets and for what.

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
These moms are making a choice of having their babies instead of getting an abortion. Should they have got an abortion. This is just what I don't understand about pro lifers. I'm not saying you are one. I'm just trying to understand. If the mom can't afford to have a child they go on welfare but then they are considered freeloaders.

And op the car probably wasn't hers or she was shopping for someone else. In our community we have poor pregnant moms that live in a group home. Someone that works there shops for all of them with a check for each order.
What is it with you pro abortion people? She can always GIVE UP THE BABY FOR ADOPTION, THAT IS AN OPTION AS WELL!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
N

It is only an urban legend for those who don't work woth or are not exposed to these communities. Get your politically correct head outta yer arse and open your eyes.

I used to live in two of those communities... ever heard of Hunter's Point in San Francisco or East Palo Alto? Most people here would mess their pants even driving through those hoods! And now I work in a community with one of the highest poverty rates in the country, not to mention demographics that are around 68% Hispanic. Try again!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
But...but...but think of the chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiildren!

Nevermind that she could have fed her kids for the next 5 years with the money she spends on that Ford Explorer and it's custom wheels, damnit, you are heartless and insensitive to even SUGGEST that she go for something more modest in price in order to feed her family.

How DARE you!

Oh and didn't you know, she has kids, that gives her the RIGHT to park in the handicap spot. Do you know how DIFFICULT it is to tote baby formula from the door of the store to her car? Cold! You are so. damn. cold!

(Adding this before the excuse makers come on board: "But it might be for someone in her family that she has the handicap placard!" It may be. But she is NOT so she shouldn't park there if that person is not WITH her!)
At least their story wasn't full of assumptions. WAit, it totally was.

Used to get WIC when I was a newly married soldier in the Air Force with a wife and baby. Gee, the taxes I paid... came back to help me out later in life. How strange.
So I guess i shall say to people that judge others without knowing the whole story ..can .. come at me bro. My family used to get free stuff, too. We got it because we were under the poverty level. Yay!!!???

COME AT ME BRO - YouTube

Old 04-14-2012, 07:52 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:
N

I was not only exposed to "these communities", I was apart of "these communities" growing up. NO ONE I knew who lived in public housing and got welfare/food stamps drove expensive cars, took expensive trips, wore expensive clothes (unless they were knock-offs), etc. NONE of them.

My sister lives in the projects, is on unemployment (looking for work for about 1.5 years) and she drives a Mercedes. If you saw her, you'd probably lump her in with the "abusing tax dollars" crowd. In reality, the car is a 1995 and was given to her by my Dad about 9 years ago.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM

32,058 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What is it with you pro abortion people? She can always GIVE UP THE BABY FOR ADOPTION, THAT IS AN OPTION AS WELL!
I am not pro abortion What I was trying to say is that if you're poor and keep the baby then you will likely be on welfare which is frowned upon by some. But yet they are against abortion.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,557 times
You know I used to work in the system many years ago, and yes you knew some people were using the system (although had trouble proving it). Others though do need the help. It used to get me mad, but no more. Here's why and this only applies to those using the system:

1. They will always live in crappy crime ridden neighborhoods
2. They will never be anything in their lives
3. The closest they will ever be to living like you is when they come begging to buy your unwanted stuff at garage sales
4. When the well does dry up for these leaches, they will be hurt the most by it

So dont worry...there lives will always be chit. The ones that do need help and use it temporarily until they get on their feet, thats the ones Im glad there is help for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies