Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

yes they are a new priesthood.
probobly not high priest however. that would be supposed experts on the economy, high priests of voodoo economics.
as to science. what is disturbing is they keep rejecting evidence that does not agree with their current default theories.
scientific method stopped being used some time ago.
science is driven by the political machine that controls the media. your findings much be "correct" for you to continue to get grants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 02:57 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well since my species is the same as yours - I see that you are describing yourself.

Interesting...
I was referring to "Homo Irrationalis" -a subspecies within the genus Homo that has definitely outlived its usefulness and overstayed its welcome. Adios. Bueno suerte en tu vida.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:24 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I agree with only your 2nd Commandment (which I follow religiously) and I like your main prayer!

However I think you need to be prayed for rather than prayed to.
Lol.

You cherry picked. How "religious" of you.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes they are a new priesthood.
probobly not high priest however. that would be supposed experts on the economy, high priests of voodoo economics.
as to science. what is disturbing is they keep rejecting evidence that does not agree with their current default theories.
scientific method stopped being used some time ago.
science is driven by the political machine that controls the media. your findings much be "correct" for you to continue to get grants.
This one says science is a religion because we reject evidence meanwhile in another thread it is getting bashed as because we are always "adjusting" theories.

Btw the only "science" that rejects evidence is ID.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Some people must have faith in an absolute. The rest of us are OK with a set of testable theories based on observation. The first is religion and the latter science. The latter is good enough for me.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Does anyone else find it amusing that the science-hating, fact-denying, definition-contorting religionists attack science by calling it religion?

It seems so odd to attack something one hates by likening it to something one follows unquestioningly.
Astute observation.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Some people must have faith in an absolute. The rest of us are OK with a set of testable theories based on observation. The first is religion and the latter science. The latter is good enough for me.

The scientific method is ok with a hypothesis that consistently tests successful to its suppositions, has its failures properly explained for their divergence, and can be consistently replicated by independent groups. That is science, everything else is just a sales pitch to a given conclusion.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This one says science is a religion because we reject evidence meanwhile in another thread it is getting bashed as because we are always "adjusting" theories.

Btw the only "science" that rejects evidence is ID.
Nothing wrong with adjusting a hypothesis, or later a theory or even a law if we discover new information that invalidates them. The problem is not adjusting them in favor of forcing the data to fit that given assumption. That is the problem.

Science is a process of continuing discovery and failure is the tool for such. The ones we should be skeptical of are those who cling to a given assumption in the consistency of its failures.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Science is based on clear, repeatable observation of the phenomena under consideration. If the observations are not in agreement with the theory the theory must be questioned and revised to include the new information.

For example the theory that Light moves in a straight line was questioned by Dr. Einstein. Many physicists were critical of his proposal and were not convinced until astronomic observations revealed that the solar gravity field did distort space enough to effectively bend light into a curved path. This observation resulted in a revised concept of the nature of reality that has found wide spread acceptance.

Answering any question about anything with the statement “God made it that way” is religion not science.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
It's calculated, you can see the details here if you're interested. Bottom line, the calculations puts the creation of Adam at 3924 BCE, as it's now 2010 CE, that puts the age of humanity, the earth, and all of the universe at precisely 5,934 years. Or close enough to call it 6k for brevity and margin of error.

Of course, we know that to be a laughably wrong idea, but that's what the "infallible word" says.
But... I bet they didn't count the ancestry of the people living in Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel's neighborhood at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies