Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should one be required to be fluent in the English language before becoming a USA citizen?
Yes 134 61.47%
No, but they should be required to speak at least a little English 43 19.72%
No, there should be no language requirement 38 17.43%
Don't know / Undecided / No opinion 3 1.38%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And how is this deaf, dumb, and blind person going to work for a living after immigration here?

That's the whole problem, our immigration policies are now about making the USA into the giant flop house of the world. It should be about people who have some ability to work for a living, those who can provide for themselves, not about everyone coming here for the very generous welfare system we have here.

We're importing the world's worst illiterates who don't learn English because they haven't got the ability nor the desire. The welfare office speaks to them in their own language, so why bother to learn anything?
I had two jobs deaf-blind. I could speak but often chose not to because many people had trouble understanding that being able to speak and being able to hear aren't connected. I often had to turn my voice off because as soon as I spoke, people assumed I could hear.

Again, don't assume what others can do. You don't know how someone else might find a way to function in society, using techniques you never dreamed of possible.

I immigrated here from Russia in 1993. I wonder if you consider me welcome here (not that I would actually let that stop me or anything).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I had two jobs deaf-blind. I could speak but often chose not to because many people had trouble understanding that being able to speak and being able to hear aren't connected. I often had to turn my voice off because as soon as I spoke, people assumed I could hear.

Again, don't assume what others can do. You don't know how someone else might find a way to function in society, using techniques you never dreamed of possible.
No -- don't get me wrong -- I admire you because you truly had something to overcome and were very motivated to work. Many people with physical obstacles want nothing more than to work and be a productive member of society.

However there are people who have zero physical limitations who are very content to lay around and have babies to live off welfare handouts -- including perfectly able bodied illegals who are using childbirth to game the system. Many illegals come here while pregnant and never worked a day in their lives here. I see them all the time.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Ever heard of gestural communication? Many of the Deaf people who do not use their voices to speak do the things you listed independently.

If someone is unable to do those things without speaking English, it's because they have mental limitations on possible ways to communicate. When I was deaf (and I'm still blind), I not only did my own banking and went to the doctor regularly, I also held two jobs and had a meaningful social life.

Just because you can't imagine how some people might function differently from the way you do, doesn't mean that they can't do it.
There is also more to communicating than "speaking" the language. Deaf people can effectively communicate through written language. A Spanish-only speaker cannot communicate with an English-only speaker via spoken or written communication, now can they?

By the way, my posts were not directed at or towards the Deaf community, but it's been a longstanding controversy in your community as to whether integration with the hearing community should be a priority or to be avoided. Many deaf parents of deaf children choose not to implant their kids because they don't feel that having their hearing impairment is any sort of hindrance to being a functional member of society and don't see it as any sort of disability. That's their prerogative, but I don't see them as demanding that everyone in society cater to their needs either as such with the Spanish speaking contingents in our country.

If you were fluent only in Spanish, would you be communicating on this message board? That's my point.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What about Puerto Rico?
They got in because we took PR from Spain. Same thing with the Navajo and so on Rez's.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
True. How does one support his/her family when incapable of ever learning English?

We should give immigration preference to those who have already prepared themselves to come here, not to a bunch of people who will end up on welfare handout programs.
You're right. Check out the rural South, the land where old gloreeee flies above the trailers. Dey don know how to speek english corrxly. Many never done lernt how to read english. But dey don need much book lernin to unnerstand NRA and NASCAR. Dey done have hard tahmes tryin' to find a job, den they be put on welfare. But, ah hope y'all don't be plannin' to takes away they citizenship. Doggone it, they be born and they done growed up in the USA.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 AM

867 posts, read 498,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Should one have to speak English, or do so fluently, to become an American citizen?
Language is one of the few factors that a people have in common that binds them together sufficiently to creat a "country. Prior to that, they are just a bunch of people in the sam geographic area, aka tribes.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Again, don't assume what others can do. You don't know how someone else might find a way to function in society, using techniques you never dreamed of possible..
But, that all depends on how you define "function". I would venture to say that many of them are not functioning in society. Getting by in life relying on the assistance of English speaking family members/friends (if any), being able to press 2 for Espanol, having all government forms (and many other forms) translated into Spanish, or relying on (company or government) paid translators is not functional. Yes, they can and do get by, but as I said, there is an economic cost to society and a personal cost of potential isolationism. Our country caters to Spanish speaking individuals, so they don't have the same motivation to learn the language that many previous generations of immigrants did.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
No -- don't get me wrong -- I admire you because you truly had something to overcome and were very motivated to work. Many people with physical obstacles want nothing more than to work and be a productive member of society.

However there are people who have zero physical limitations who are very content to lay around and have babies to live off welfare handouts -- including perfectly able bodied illegals who are using childbirth to game the system. Many illegals come here while pregnant and never worked a day in their lives here. I see them all the time.
I understand your point, but in that case, it's their lack of contribution to society and mooching off the system we should be complaining about, not their language competence. Enforcing English fluency isn't going to turn lazy people into hard workers. There are plenty of born-and-bred Americans whose fluency in English doesn't stop them from having the same attitude.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Goes back to my point of why do I have to choose english on an ATM machine, or press 1 to continue in english on the phone? Why do I have to choose my language within the US. Society makes it too easy these days to not have to learn english. Immigrants in the early 1900s were forced to learn some sort of english because you could not get away with not learning it.

This post is not towards the deaf community or those whom sign. This is for those that immigrate and want to be an American but dont want to speak the American language.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
Competent, but not necessarily fluent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies