Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:57 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
A few weeks ago someone chased a burglar from their house and down the sidewalk before they killed them. Still didn't get any charges filed and I personally support that 110%
I'm no liberal by any means, but you know damn well he/she commited murder. Nice to know who's in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 06:06 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
you talking about the actual numbers of murders?
No, of course not. Murder RATES.

The national murder rate - the average of all homicide in the United States - is about 5.6 murders per 100,000 people per year. Texas's rate has fluctuated in recent years between 5.9 and 6.1 - higher than the national average. To compare, Canada's national rate is 2.1. The UK's is 1.1.

I'm just wondering why that is. Only a few days ago, three Texas police officers were gunned down in a single incident. Not long before that, several good samaritans who stopped to help a stalled motorist in Dallas were randomly gunned down. People seem to "pop off" violently in Texas quite often, for whatever reason.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:08 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I did leave one detail out, while the homeowner was chasing the intruder, he turned around in a threatening manner..

in Texas it's all in how you word the story and I still support it 100%.. one more criminal down and unfortunately many more to go...

Old 09-15-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
No, of course not. Murder RATES.

The national murder rate - the average of all homicide in the United States - is about 5.6 murders per 100,000 people per year. Texas's rate has fluctuated in recent years between 5.9 and 6.1 - higher than the national average. To compare, Canada's national rate is 2.1. The UK's is 1.1.

I'm just wondering why that is. Only a few days ago, three Texas police officers were gunned down in a single incident. Not long before that, several good samaritans who stopped to help a stalled motorist in Dallas were randomly gunned down. People seem to "pop off" violently in Texas quite often, for whatever reason.
ha, oops, I should've seen rate the first time.

That's an interesting statistic and I could speculate a few reasons off the top of my head, but none would be factual. I do know I get a lot more mean in the summer though and I firmly believe heat contributes to violent crime.. We have plenty of heat down here too... another speculation would be the illegal immigrant population. I don't have numbers to back me up, but I can't see how anyone that breaks one law would be satisfied at just that.. it's like crossing the border illegally is their gateway crime, the marijuana of crimes for lack of a better term..

Old 09-15-2007, 06:13 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
well dang,jgussler,I stand corrected then.My state FL,as well as Texas you cannot do that and I assumed all states were like that.2 years ago I bought a 1886 Winchester I saw on the website Guns America from a store in Arizona and they also said I had to have it shipped a FFL dealer in my state.
You'd think they'd get more into federal laws instead of state on something like this. However, that can be bad too. We don't need New York City ethics deciding how we do things in Wyoming. Know what I mean?

Old 09-15-2007, 06:15 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Well, I just wonder what happens if you get arrested with a stolen/unlicensed concealed/illegal firearm in Texas, as a lot of gang members probably are. Do they end up going to trial and serving the full ten year max for illegal possession? Or are they allowed to plead out, serve a couple months (or just probation) and get pushed right back out onto the streets?

I lived in Detroit for a while, and this was a huge problem. The state had no money to prosecute mere possession cases. You could get nabbed with a cache of stuff, but unless the feds decided to step in, you'd probably just be able to plead out, serve a month or less, and get a couple years of poorly-monitored probation.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:17 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
wow, can someone please tell me where I can mail order an AK-47 for under $200? I've been looking for one for a while, but the prices here are WAY higher..
and since when can you get weapons through the mail? Seems like that would be illegal...
As far as I know mail order guns were stopped when JFK was killed in in the 1960s
because the riffle used was mail order.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
MIAMI — The spray of bullets that killed a police officer and hurt three others this week came from something increasingly common on this city's streets: a high-powered assault weapon, fast becoming the gun of choice for gang members and violent criminals.

Moderator cut: do not post copyrighted articles

FOXNews.com - Assault-Weapon Attacks on Rise in Miami - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News (http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Sep15/0,4670,AssaultWeaponAttacks,00.html - broken link)
police need assault rifles. but more important, citizens (and police) need self defence rights to use fire arms. they dont have em in california. self defence rights and property rights have been "redefined" by the court system.
i salute texas for having functional self defence and property rights.
when the good guys have guns, it makes the job of the bad guys much much more difficult.
stephen s
san diego ca

Last edited by Yac; 12-11-2007 at 02:42 AM..

Old 09-15-2007, 06:23 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
well dang,jgussler,I stand corrected then.My state FL,as well as Texas you cannot do that and I assumed all states were like that.2 years ago I bought a 1886 Winchester I saw on the website Guns America from a store in Arizona and they also said I had to have it shipped a FFL dealer in my state.
But you should blocked out your tracking number

Old 09-15-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, I just wonder what happens if you get arrested with a stolen/unlicensed concealed/illegal firearm in Texas, as a lot of gang members probably are. Do they end up going to trial and serving the full ten year max for illegal possession? Or are they allowed to plead out, serve a couple months (or just probation) and get pushed right back out onto the streets?

I lived in Detroit for a while, and this was a huge problem. The state had no money to prosecute mere possession cases. You could get nabbed with a cache of stuff, but unless the feds decided to step in, you'd probably just be able to plead out, serve a month or less, and get a couple years of poorly-monitored probation.
that is a very real problem and unfortunately my Judge Dredd solution is always laughed at.. I'm dead serious though.. Just make me ruler of the world for one day and I guarantee you more than half of the criminals will be taken care of in just one day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
police need assault rifles. but more important, citizens (and police) need self defence rights to use fire arms. they dont have em in california. self defence rights and property rights have been "redefined" by the court system.
i salute texas for having functional self defence and property rights.
when the good guys have guns, it makes the job of the bad guys much much more difficult.
stephen s
san diego ca
I always liked San Diego when I lived there, but never understood how it could be next to all those other whacko cities on the coast..

great post man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies