Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,920,471 times

Advertisements

Per the CDC there was one suicide in the US every 15 minutes. OP's pathetic little game is over.

http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePreventio...ataSheet-a.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,920,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why do you critisize people for buying the ribbon? If you have better ideas, then why don't you share them. I don't know what you think you will accompish by trying to tear down people who bought the ribbon thinking it would help the veterans.
I agree.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM

76,914 posts, read 47,227,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Because those bumbling idiots think that their responsibility towards our troops is done if they show off a stupid ribbon on their gas guzzler.
People who extend financial support are bumbling idiots How do you know what else they have done to support veterans? Your attitude it pretty nasty, to be honest with you.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 AM

958 posts, read 2,126,306 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/op...qc9pHuzTI3lwXQ

How is that foreign policy of endless wars working out for you? Oh, and let me guess - you have a pink ribbon sticker on your car which says "Support Our Troops". Yes, that should do it.

Just curious, What are you doing about it other that *****ing on a message board?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,804,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
People who extend financial support are bumbling idiots How do you know what else they have done to support veterans? Your attitude it pretty nasty, to be honest with you.
I am more offended by your apathy than you are with my attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Where are the numbers reporting this during this election year? The liberals should really still care about the military and deaths no matter who is in control!
But we all know they don't it was just a political stunt.
I am not a liberal. You do not have to be a liberal to be anti-war. You just need to be compassionate and have common sense. Actually, when it came to crunch, the so-called "liberals" didn't come through, because guess what? They are still voting for Warmonger-in-Chief Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Per the CDC there was one suicide in the US every 15 minutes. OP's pathetic little game is over.

NYT was quoting defense.gov. So if there is one suicide every 15 minutes, doesn't that actually make the situation even more worse? You sound as if that information discredits the whole spirit behind the post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Just curious, What are you doing about it other that *****ing on a message board?
Voting for the only candidate in the race who is for ending the wars - Ron Paul.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM

17 posts, read 191,207 times
I can't Imagen how hard some of of a life some of these Veterans must of had, I guess im not very surprised the suicide rate is high.
http://best-books-reviews.hostoi.com/sig.jpg

Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,454,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

So you think 1 every 80 minutes is acceptable?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 PM

294 posts, read 190,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
So you think 1 every 80 minutes is acceptable?

Not acceptable, but FAR less often than the NORMAL average US Citizen.

So basically a non issue.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,995,018 times
I wouldn't worry about the color of the ribbon.

I'd suggest talking to the vets to see if there are any kind of "red flags" that might indicate they're on the verge of suicide. I'm very sure the color of the ribbon has very little to do with it. For that matter, the ribbon doesn't even come into it at all.

But you might talk to them about the people they befriended, that came home early with a flag draped over their coffins. You might find a way to tell them they really do belong here, rather then with the buddies that gave their lives in the name of your freedom. You might give them the freedoms they were ready to give their lives for, rather than chiselling them (freedoms) away through legislation, regulation, and codes. Explain to them why their "pursuit of happiness" is restricted by codes because it might offend someone that never had a shot fired in their direction. You might check to see if they are obeying one of the concepts this country was founded on...

"LIVE FREE OR DIE."

And then again, maybe it's something else. Maybe a dream that was within grasp before their service, that became impossible due to the lapse of time spent in protecting life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Certainly, it would have nothing to do with the sense of helplessness, knowing what they risked for the country and seeing the direction the country is going in, without any chance of one person changing it's course for the better. It wouldn't have anything to do with the greed that manifests itself in so many ways, and they keep finding it more and more difficult to make ends meet.

During Vietnam, how many guys died within weeks, or even days, of returning home, just after receiving a "Dear John Letter" at MAIL CALL. Everyone has something that reaches the very depths of their soul. And Vets are no strangers to death. The lucky ones are the guys that didn't make it. Their suffering is over. The guys that made it back... The "survivors"... They are the ones that keep on paying nightly instalments on the freedoms you get to enjoy, in the memories they carry all the days they live. Many times, that becomes a burden.

The Veteran's Administration has a "hot-line" for the guys to call if they are considering ending it all. But to get the benefit from it, the vet has to first realise it's that bad. For many, it will only take a small trigger, the straw on the camel's back, and it's over in seconds. Because, many have been living on the edge ever since they were discharged from active duty. Even then, you'll have to give him "something" to, at least, be curious about regarding some point in his future, in order to have him make that call. And, do not expect him to tell you what his intentions are. He's well aware that if he hints at it, you're going to try to stop him.

I would imagine that for most, it's not just one thing, but things and situations, one after another, that build up over time, and the final one is too much to bear. The answer is not the color of the ribbon. It isn't walking up to a vet, shaking his hand and saying "welcome home - Have a good day", then go on your way without a glance back at them. It isn't providing them with what YOU think they need.

"In the next three months, you're going to forget everything your mother taught you and you are going to learn fight and kill." (boot camp) And after that has become second nature, it isn't easy to leave that behind when you rejoin society. What they've learned in place of what their mothers taught them is not acceptable in a civilized society. Reactions that came so quick and easy no longer have any place in their lives. And those reactions that are always just below the surface. If they lose control at any point in time, someone may die. Some may feel it is better that they should die than rather than kill anyone else because they've lost control for a split second.

Vets are no strangers to death. It's fast and it's easy. On the front lines, it happens in the blink of an eye and it's all over. Many have already accepted it. And it's a very short distance from accepting death to crossing over.

I spent 35 years with a loaded weapon under my pillow for just one purpose. I certainly do not need it to defend myself. Five years ago, I unloaded it and locked it up. This is the very first time I've ever mentioned it to anyone. I'm PROUD of my service. I keep finding it more and more difficult to be proud of my country.

Now, keep your American History alive by preventing their suicides.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,388,965 times
Quote:
I am more offended by your apathy than you are with my attitude.

I am not a liberal. You do not have to be a liberal to be anti-war. You just need to be compassionate and have common sense. Actually, when it came to crunch, the so-called "liberals" didn't come through, because guess what? They are still voting for Warmonger-in-Chief Obama.

NYT was quoting defense.gov. So if there is one suicide every 15 minutes, doesn't that actually make the situation even more worse? You sound as if that information discredits the whole spirit behind the post?

Voting for the only candidate in the race who is for ending the wars - Ron Paul.
The death count was up on the liberal msm's until obummer was elected then it stopped! Even though they were still over there but the deaths were no longer was important as it was just a political ploy from the liberals against Bush.

But I want to know why there are no death counters this election year?
Where Are the Daily Headlines Counting Military Deaths Under Obama?

Last edited by Miborn; 04-16-2012 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies