Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,293,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Just another example of the parasite class making things worse for real Americans.

I say end ALL Welfare.

........And further immigration for ungrateful foreigners and their kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,571,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Their relatives? Friends? Charity organizations?

Section 8 is a scam to shift the riff raff (I used to be one of 'em, btw---Elyton PJs represent!!!) to surrounding areas, while taking former PJ property and turning into high-end condos. Read up on Cabrini-Green, that's how these progressive "leaders" roll. Sweet talk you in your face and then stab you in the back for a quick buck.
Are you from Chicago? Ever been in Cabrini Green?

Old 04-17-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Many Churches do deal with it already. But it's obviously not enough.

But I still ask the question, what are "we" going to do with all the people on Section 8, who suddenly don't have a place to live? I'm certainly not saying there are no abuses in the system, but I'm sure that the program (like all of the Evil Welfare Programs,) helps more people then those who abuse it.

In this very thread people are complaining about over crowded schools and crime rates around Section 8 areas, what do they really thing will happen when thousands of people are suddenly left homeless? No... these people are not going to go off in a corner and die behind a dumpster.

The Universal Truth of Humanity is that we'll do anything to survive, and to keep our children alive. Crime rates WILL increase as people who already have a hard time making ends meet suddenly find that they need even more money to keep that roof over their head. Or they will spiral into despair, turning to drugs and alcohol to make themselves feel better.

This is going to result in the need for more police, more prisons, more children in Foster Care, and more taxes in the long run. Fix the Section 8 and all Welfare programs, I 100% agree with that. But realize that eliminating them without any sort of safety net is simply going to increase the problem.

I don't care what your politics are, but the continued short-sightedness of many people in this forum specifically is frustrating beyond all reason.

They are just simply following the orders given to them via faux and the koch brothers through the media and through many of their own prejuiced eyes. Whenever you are stupid enough to vote against your own best interest either now or in the possible future you are mentally deficent to some degree

Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think blacks in this country generally are very well networked socially. When a waiting list opens up the first person to find out starts telling their friends. The news goes viral quickly. One black person aware of an open waiting list can get hundreds of people to sign up for it.

Low-income whites, on the other hand, generally are networked poorly if at all. Twenty white people aware of an open waiting list might not get 100 people to sign up.
Has it ever occured to you that the whites that you speak of, know but are hesitant about applying? Or how about the fact they may have other resources? You tend to give blacks who by the way are not the majority of people that use section 8 alot of credit for networking for housing that many of them have been waiting for months or even years

Old 04-17-2012, 02:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
3] They can swallow a bit of pride and share living accommodations with others. Since when is it illegal to share housing? I shared housing with 2 others while pursuing my undergraduate and graduate degrees, and then shared housing with one person and then finally I had worked and saved enough money (by uh, you know, sharing housing) that I could afford my very own place.

It is not a crime to share housing and as a point of fact, if they had been sharing housing, then they wouldn't be, uh, "homeless" (snicker)
"homeless" (snicker) $10, a brown-bag lunch and a parachute and kick their goat-smelling asses out the back of the C-130 as its doing a drag run over Somalia or Afghanistan or some other place.

Actually it IS a crime in many communities to share housing with others who are unrelated.

I lived in a town where the maximum unrelated occupancy of a dwelling unit was TWO. This ordinance was specifically intended and designed to prevent unrelated individuals from affording local rents by sharing housing.

Currently I live in a house with four other unrelated individuals - it's legal here - but we need that density to afford the rent.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,367,578 times
I can only speak of my personal experience, so here's what I have. I've been in my house for 4 years. The first year I was there, I had no problems. It was a nice neighborhood, homes were only about 4 years old at that time. About a year after we moved in, my city made a deal with the city of Oakland to take a bunch of their section 8 housing to fill the empty houses in our city. Since then: My tailgate has been stolen off my truck. Dents in my truck from kids throwing rocks at it. Trash in my yard and sidewalk daily. My son was beat up by 3 kids at the park. 3 houses down became a pot "grow house", someone was shot in the house over it. Neighbor 2 houses down was stabbed in the face after a fight were 50-60 people were fighting in the street, complete with guns and knives. A bloody sweatshirt from the incident was found on my front lawn. Kids from one of those families were playing in the back of a pick up that didn't belong to them, when the lady asked through her window for them to get out of her truck, one of the men told her to watch her mouth or he'd drag her out of her house and beat her ass. Kids, anywhere from 10 on up, roaming the neighborhood and at the park until 2/3 in the morning constantly. Call the cops, they don't even show up. Constant scenes with yelling and screaming late at night. 4 families that where there when I first moved in moved out because of this crap (and yes, I talked to them and they told me why they were moving).

I'm moving at the end of next month.

So to those of you defending section 8, I understand it's purpose and know it's a complicated issue. But what is your advise to people like me? I have the option to move, but many who are upside down in their mortgage do not.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,995,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
As best I can gather from these forums, they're expected to magically be able to 'save' enough money to go back to college, rack up huge debts, and then "get a better paying job."

Oh, and live within their means while never having any bad luck, driving an older car, and no medical problems at all.
And the other alternative is what? Having everyone else to continue subsidizing their living preferences for them? How am I, or any other citizen responsible for another person's irresponsibility?

Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
If push comes to shove, and we are stuck with programs like this----I think these folks should rent next to the politicians who support this. Food for thought.
Or better yet let them move next to the whiny liberals on this board.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,473,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ok, eliminate Section 8 assistance.

Now what? Where do those people live? Where do you think they'll go?

Get roomates, move in with relatives. Ya know, the same things that people who dont qualify for it do when they are down and out.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,473,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Yep, 77 year olds with bad backs, bad eyes, and unable to drive should be working more not less, the GOP solution to everything, work harder, til you drop. All that is missing is the bullwhips and chains.

Didnt you claim to score enough off of ford stock to be " set for life" ? Yet you want the taxpayer to house your own family. You must be so proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies