Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
3 years, homie...............
Try reading, the dude said for the first year things were fine but since the city began filling empty houses (who lives in a neighborhood full of empty homes and isn't concerned) with section 8 criminals.... Where are you getting this was a slow build up? I got all help broke loose the day his city made a deal with Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Lol, neighborhoods don't "transform" like that in a year.. you either missed the signs of trouble while moving into a bad area or you're embellishing your story a bit. Not saying poor people out of work aren't a social problem but you're making it sound like someone flipped a switch and Beverly Hills became Calcutta overnight.
I stated the story exactly as it happened. You don't believe it, that's your problem.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:33 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Try reading, the dude said for the first year things were fine but since the city began filling empty houses (who lives in a neighborhood full of empty homes and isn't concerned) with section 8 criminals.... Where are you getting this was a slow build up? I got all help broke loose the day his city made a deal with Oakland.
I moved here before the housing bubble genius. Once that hit, half the houses here were empty. And yes, when they made a deal with Oakland is when this city went to s#*t. Sorry you have a hard time believing that. Truth hurts I guess.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I stated the story exactly as it happened. You don't believe it, that's your problem.
I'm sure you did, what you didn't do was properly characterize your neighborhood BEFORE you lived there and during that first year.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
I believe SimpleMan only because I also live in a city where people from Oakland have been relocated to fill empty units because in our area, which is conisdered affluent, the people don't meet the low income requirements. Since we are in the same county as Oakland and other low income areas they bring them from where the most poor people are. A large amount (not all, but the more than I'm comfortable with) of our crime problems can be directly traced to poor people from Oakland and I'm not even going to mention race...but it's a fact no matter how much we don't want it to be. Sorry. I hate it. But you can't pretend it's not real when you live it. Good people do want to get away and live in a nice place but problems follow and everyone knows this.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You make a strong case for renting instead of buying. If you are renting i can see why you are outta there, if you own the house how is the new neighbors affecting your house value and your ease of selling it?
Neighborhoods see an increase in crime and the schools start to suffer. The word spreads through reputation.

Who wants to live in crime areas with bad schools ?

You get flight of the middle class to safer areas and more homes / apartments then get shifted to Section 8. I see it in several neighborhoods near me.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
This thread is a good fit to post this:

"You'll mellow out with a little age. Not everyone is blessed with the talents you have. Their burden is to suffer, yours is to work hard and share a little. Squeeze some room into your heart for benevolence and grace, you'll live longer."--ProjectWeenie (poster from the Houston Chronicle)
That's great but I'll make a contribution to my church or charities.

I don't want the Govt taking it from me or telling me how much I should give.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:39 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I can only speak of my personal experience, so here's what I have. I've been in my house for 4 years. The first year I was there, I had no problems. It was a nice neighborhood, homes were only about 4 years old at that time. About a year after we moved in, my city made a deal with the city of Oakland to take a bunch of their section 8 housing to fill the empty houses in our city. Since then: My tailgate has been stolen off my truck. Dents in my truck from kids throwing rocks at it. Trash in my yard and sidewalk daily. My son was beat up by 3 kids at the park. 3 houses down became a pot "grow house", someone was shot in the house over it. Neighbor 2 houses down was stabbed in the face after a fight were 50-60 people were fighting in the street, complete with guns and knives. A bloody sweatshirt from the incident was found on my front lawn. Kids from one of those families were playing in the back of a pick up that didn't belong to them, when the lady asked through her window for them to get out of her truck, one of the men told her to watch her mouth or he'd drag her out of her house and beat her ass. Kids, anywhere from 10 on up, roaming the neighborhood and at the park until 2/3 in the morning constantly. Call the cops, they don't even show up. Constant scenes with yelling and screaming late at night. 4 families that where there when I first moved in moved out because of this crap (and yes, I talked to them and they told me why they were moving).

I'm moving at the end of next month.

So to those of you defending section 8, I understand it's purpose and know it's a complicated issue. But what is your advise to people like me? I have the option to move, but many who are upside down in their mortgage do not.

Sounds like a tough situation. 3 years is fairly rapid, was there no way to band the community and local LE to address the situation before it got out of hand?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
A community destroyed by Section 8.

Quote:
Morton, 32, is now an independent filmmaker based in Los Angeles. The rapid transformation of the north St. Louis County community he calls his hometown, though it has never been incorporated, forms the basis of his documentary, "Spanish Lake."

"I really wanted to research all the dynamics that went into the phenomenon of white flight in Spanish Lake," Morton said in a recent telephone interview from Los Angeles. "I came away convinced that this is not an issue of race but of class and opportunities."
Morton said he hoped the movie will start discussions nationwide on white flight and the effects of government-subsidized housing on neighborhoods.
The movie combines interviews with former and current residents with archival government documents and news reports to chronologically trace Spanish Lake's history.

Read more: A son of Spanish Lake returns to do a movie about changes there

http://youtu.be/uFZjtTbx16U

Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
There was a poster on here awhile back who was Section 8 in Ohio and wanted to move to CA, specifically Santa Monica, CA.

Talk about a sense of entitlement. I have lived in Southern CA for 20 plus years and never lived that close to the water...LOL. Santa Monica for the most part is upscale but does have some limited Section 8 housing.

This poster didn't seem to get that people who rely on the govt. to pay their way shouldn't be moving to the most expenisive part of the country. How are you ever going to get ahead if you're already financially strapped and you increase your expenses by moving where the COL is higher?

There was also another poster who lived in TX and wanted to move to San Diego...LOL, also Section 8.

I don't think people who are having a hard time making it states that have a lower cost of living should be able to transfer their Section 8 to a part of the country where COL is higher.

You want to move to another part of the country, then save your money and try and line up employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies