Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Unlike some people on this forum, I don't have to make things up. What I do know is that you were not there, you don't know, I do. Too bad if you don't like the reality that people abuse the crap out of the system constantly.

There are more people that abide by the rules than there are those who do not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
BS, just because YOU didn't verify income doesn't mean PHA's don't routinely do so. Talking to a friend, a retired section 8 administrator with CMHA, the oldest PHA, they verify income, period.

http://portal.hud.gov:80/hudportal/H...hiip/uivsystem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I worked for HUD for 3 years. We did NOT check income data with the IRS, because we there was no way to do so. The IRS and HUD are two separate federal Departments, autonomous, with legal concerns about privacy, and the IRS does NOT provide information to HUD. Even if it were legally and bureaucratically possible today, the time it takes the IRS to respond to ANY request would prohibit requiring their verification before approving applications for aid.

Also, many who applied for HUD aid had not filed tax returns in many, years, because they were not legally require to do so--they did not have enough income reported to the IRS, so this did not trigger any inquiry or audit.

At HUD we accepted the applicant's application and asked for whatever verification they could (wanted to) provide. As long as we had something in the file, that was good enough. I was told that our mission was to provide federal money to applicants, and not to file (or report on) anything that would disqualify the application. In my 3 years, not once did I deny an application for housing aid, though the individuals who applied had generally already received other HUD money and knew the routine. Had the program I administered not existed, local homebuyers would have saved a significant tax on their mortgages, and not a single truly needy person (in my opinion) would have missed out on financial aid.

I could not agree more that HUD should be eliminated. It was the most corrupt of all the government agencies I worked for, and staffed with the most corrupt administration. This Department was utterly without redeeming qualities, and was in large part responsible for my current Libertarian beliefs.

Last edited by buzzards27; 04-18-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Section 8 isn't destroying neighborhoods. Few people actually have section 8 vouchers. They are very hard to get.

The problem is that once you get one, if you follow a few rules, you get to work as little as you want for the rest of your life.

Take two equal, low-income families, living in two equal apartments. One lives in an apartment and pays $800, so the person or persons working have to work a fair amount to afford it. The other one is lucky enough to have a section 8 voucher, so the head of the household works 8 hours per week, pays 1/3 of that for rent (maybe ~$50), and the federal government picks up the rest of the $750 tab.

This is ridiculous. I'd 100% support some sort of temporary rent assistance fund over this crap.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:31 PM

69 posts, read 67,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
It doesn't really matter much to me what some politician says, I will NEVER - under ANY circumstances - rent to a Section 8 tenant. It's a 100% guarantee that they're going to destroy the house.

I'll sell all my properties before I'll EVER do that.
I was a section 8 voucher tenant for a few years in a private residence. Landlord still brags to others on what a great tenant I was and still say they will never, ever find a tenant as good as I was. Paid my share of rent 6 months in advance. Did most of my own repairs. Kept the house cleaner than any other tenant before or since.

You, Big George, are very ignorant and don't know whereof you speak.

Last edited by Al Zymers; 04-18-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Zymers View Post
I was a section 8 voucher tenant for a few years in a private residence. Landlord still brags to others on what a great tenant I was and still say they will never, ever find a tenant as good as I was. Paid my share of rent 6 months in advance. Did most of my own repairs. Kept the house cleaner than any other tenant before or since.

You better watch out. According to all the people on this forum you once was a gang-banger and a freeloader who wanted to live off the government for your whole life.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
You better watch out. According to all the people on this forum you once was a gang-banger and a freeloader who wanted to live off the government for your whole life.
Nope, I never signed up for government cheese......

Some of these forum folk will also despise you if you ever, ever received food stamps.

They will say you are destroying America.

Last edited by Al Zymers; 04-18-2012 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 04:04 PM

723 posts, read 2,192,944 times
Quote:
Paid my share of rent 6 months in advance.
Is 1\3 of rent x6 even that much tho? If you can do 1\3 for 6 why not do 2 at full price?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Is 1\3 of rent x6 even that much tho? If you can do 1\3 for 6 why not do 2 at full price?
More complicated formula than that. Rent + utilities could not exceed 30% of income. Six months rent portion was easier to pay.

Was also on disability. Not a big income with which to pay full rent.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:15 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
I like my revision better:
I hope Mitt Romney abolishes neighborhoods nationwide.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:

Oh great an anecdotal story to disprove the data cited in the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies