Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 AM

341 posts, read 902,568 times

Advertisements

Interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
People are emotional for the most part, from all races. There are also too many hard feelings between the races. Race is such a hot button subject because of history. People won't look at anything rationally, and this is my perspective on it. Many African-Americans, especially me, feeling like we're going to be judged according to those stats. We have an idea that alot of Black neighborhoods are violent and poor. There is a reason my father raised me and my siblings mainly in suburban and rural areas. He didn't want to raise his children in the neighborhood that he lived in as a child. We know this. I think sometimes people don't feel comfortable talking about it publicly. I think alot of African-Americans don't want to confirm any stereotypes by talking about these problems publicly. I think when Bill Cosby made controversy back in 2004, it wasn't because of what he said. It wasn't that Blacks disagreed. I agreed and many Black people agreed with him. I think this was main issue. It was like airing out dirty laundry for everyone to see. People are trying to fight stereotypes, not confirm them, especially when it's their race that has to deal with it.
Now, here is a question to look at: How did African-American urban culture become so dysfunctional? Where did the cultural dysfunctions come from? Where are its origins? That is often one question most people never ask.
Yes, that's an important part of the dialogue. I've heard it expressed, though maybe in an overly simplistic way. Rightwingers blame it on welfare reducing the incentives for work and marriage, while leftists blame it on the destruction of families in slavery, and the result of centuries of oppression and contempt.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Just to shift the topic a little.

There has been a drive lately in my area to raise the manditory school age up to 18. My thoughts have always been that if a student is not getting anything from school, then he needs to be free to go to work until he is.

BUT...there are those child labor laws. So my question is, would any "child" be better off learning how to work for his own paycheck earlier? I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I think the boy or girl that MUST stay in school when school isn't teaching anything useful to him/her, would be better off if they would be allowed to get jobs.

There's something very nice about getting your very own pay check. Even sweeping floors or putting up stock is worth something.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 PM

One of the problems with that, Padgett, it that the kids are screwing up their main chance of getting ahead in life ...... and another problem is that earning a lot of money is associated with being able to afford drugs.

Kids have to be forced sometimes to do homework etc - they mostly don't naturally want to do that. A high school degree is a base requirement for most jobs: even if you want to be a janitor and have maintenance skills, they will likely require a high school diploma to get the job, because not having one could be seen as a sign of a quitter.

I've seen a study claiming that kids who work more during high school tend to use more drugs, and that does make some sense. Drugs cost money, sometimes big money for the best kind. We all know that ghetto people of any color use a fair amount of drugs (and have lower graduation rates), and that has to be supported either by robbery or a job.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
One of the problems with that, Padgett, it that the kids are screwing up their main chance of getting ahead in life ...... and another problem is that earning a lot of money is associated with being able to afford drugs.

Kids have to be forced sometimes to do homework etc - they mostly don't naturally want to do that. A high school degree is a base requirement for most jobs: even if you want to be a janitor and have maintenance skills, they will likely require a high school diploma to get the job, because not having one could be seen as a sign of a quitter.

I've seen a study claiming that kids who work more during high school tend to use more drugs, and that does make some sense. Drugs cost money, sometimes big money for the best kind. We all know that ghetto people of any color use a fair amount of drugs (and have lower graduation rates), and that has to be supported either by robbery or a job.
I agree with you....it's one of those things that is sometimes yes, and sometimes no. But our biggest problem is that "Kids have to be forced to do homework" Who will supply the force? Father? Probably doesn't know who he is. Mother? She didn't finish school and can't see the point in making the child study.

That leaves "The Villiage" to raise the child..And it doesn't seem to be doing a good job of it. What do we need to change?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 PM

I dunno.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Just to shift the topic a little.

There has been a drive lately in my area to raise the manditory school age up to 18. My thoughts have always been that if a student is not getting anything from school, then he needs to be free to go to work until he is.

BUT...there are those child labor laws. So my question is, would any "child" be better off learning how to work for his own paycheck earlier? I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I think the boy or girl that MUST stay in school when school isn't teaching anything useful to him/her, would be better off if they would be allowed to get jobs.

There's something very nice about getting your very own pay check. Even sweeping floors or putting up stock is worth something.
I used to live in Germany. They have a tiered school system. They recognize that not every student has the desire or aptitude to go to college, so they don't try to prep ever student for college the way that we do here on America.

In the upper tier, high school goes to grade 13. These students study the hard sciences and higher maths. These are the children that go on to be doctors, engineers and scientists. Basically, it's the high IQ tier.

The middle tier is designed for those that will move into management, law enforcement, administration and other types of fields suited for intelligent but not genius level persons. This tier goes to grade 12.

In the lower tier, students learn basic math and reading, but focus is on trades and practical life skills. This tier only goes up to 10, but many students do one or two year apprenticeships before moving onto a job.

The German system is far more efficient than America's school system. It recognizes that students have differing abilities and desires. Those that aren't geared for higher education are prepped for entering the work force. It makes more sense than the one size fits all system we see mostly in America.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Local media is mainstream and national outlets pick up their stories from local media. Also the internet is mainstream media so anything you find out about is known and was not hidden from you.
Nothing disagreeable here.

Quote:
You did not answer other topics I discussed, how white youth and white perps are not paraded about on TV to the degree that black people are.
Do you have any type of evidence for this? The reasons simply could be that Blacks are concentrated in major media markets and frankly commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime and if memory serves correctly most of the violent crime where the offender is not known to the victim is committed by Blacks. These types of crime will always generate an out sized media interest since it conveys the message that this to can happen to you.

Quote:
Also blacks have not all the sudden started attacking whites in the past few years since Obama was elected. Crime was much worse in the 80s and 90s than it is today.
True but much of it was internal fueled by the drug wars. The average citizen didn't have to worry about flash mobs, knock out games, beatdowns at fast food joints, getting mugged and beat stumbling out of a club etc. all of these events have been shown prominently on the net and in the news. Most if not all involving Blacks.

Quote:
Black people have been labeled as criminals for years and years, even as crimes committed by blacks have decreased. I doubt "youths" will ever not randomly beat anyone, let alone "caucasoids" (which made me giggle LOL!).
Prime example of what I refer to, the high tolerance of foolishness and criminality that exist in the African American community. Believe it or not most cultures would find it unacceptable for kids to randomly beat on people and would clamp down hard.

Quote:
The media is a beast and they report what will make people watch their channel. Most national MSM outlets don't even actually report "news" IMO anymore, they just spew the opinions of their commentators and attempt to scare people, similar to what many do here on CD.
Of course that's what grabs ratings. I was somewhat stunned when Jim Vance went on to detail "The Talk".

2012-03-23 - Vance's View - NBC4 Washington - "The Talk" and Stand Your Ground - YouTube

Quote:
Also there is no reason to create terms for crimes that already have a criminological label. "Flash mob" is something that someone coined in order to scare people like you into thinking that black people are out to beat you up or murder you or steal from you on a large scale. If someone is getting beat up, it is called an assault or attempted murdered. If you are robbed at gunpoint it is armed robbery, etc. Why the need to coin new terms about something that is not a new phenomenon unless you are just trying to shock and scare people unnecessarily.
We can call it whatever we like. Groups of people assaulting others for no reason is a problem. Stop minimizing it.

Quote:
Many even here on CD have used other sorts of crimes and labeled them "flash mobs" in order to scare people more. It is just ridiculous and honestly all of you parallel the disgusting things that national MSM supposedly does.
Story telling. Fix your community and stop whining.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Backlash against President Obama, I don't like it. However, it won't surprise me too much. Backlash against Blacks in general is what I am more worried about. Against one individual, it won't be pretty, but it isn't as scary as backlash against an entire ethnicity. As a Black man, I don't want to be held responsible for some teenage rioters who I have nothing to do with, have never seen before simply because we share the same skin color. I know if there is any backlash, my life could turn really hard.
I believe the President shouldn't have made his 'If I had a son he would look like Trayvon' statement as it was somewhat polarizing, and likely to rile up those who don't think things through and act impulsively.

Regardless of this, the incident, and subsequent backlash is going to set race relations back decades.

Matthew Owens Of Alabama Allegedly Beaten By Mob In 'Justice For Trayvon' Rage

Quote:
Alabama police are trying to track down a mob that beat a man into critical condition -- leaving their battered victim with the words, "Now that's justice for Trayvon."

Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
"In Chicago, after weeks of racial violence where the newspapers refused to mention the crime was almost exclusively black gangs on individual whites, the Superintendent of the Police said he knew what was causing the violence: Sarah Palin."

I like how people are making this sound like Blacks are going to destroy the united states and everything is about to burn.

There are no race riots going on. I live in Newark,NJ, which is over 50% black, barley anything has stirred up here. The only things that have happened are peaceful protest for the martin case.

Funny how they don't mention the black teen that was attacked by whites in Chicago.

How come I don't hear about white rioting?
You must be new here. They like to post lies and inflammatory remarks, and pass them off as "news".

White rioting doesn't get reported. Remember all the riots when schools and the University of Mississippi were integrated by federal law? Whites burned down their own universityrather than see one black student admitted. Mass hysteria. That's not even in the history books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies