Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
WHICH "native" American culture? Let's see: there was the Apache, Cherokee, Navajo, Mohawk, Sioux and many others.

Going by YOUR rules: why didn't Hispanics follow Aztec, Mayan, Incan and so on culture?
Well which Indian tribe was in the location where Europeans landed? It's not that complicated.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
wow, did they have any crusades or wars they named after the years it was fought, like the hundred years war????

War crimes? Anything like the Spanish Inquisition? Who invented the guillotine and things like the iron mask?

Yep, those Europeans were really peace loving peoples, they musta learned to torture and kill from those blood thirsty Indians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Well which Indian tribe was in the location where Europeans landed? It's not that complicated.
Does it matter? Had it NOT been the anglo or Hispanic white people; it would've been another group that did the deeds; maybe another stronger group of American Indians. No 1 here today was alive back then. I sure as hell DON'T hate the English or others who hurt my people, the Irish. Besides: many of my ancestors I would've NOT allowed into my house today if they were alive cause I don't like violent drunks.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Does it matter? Had it NOT been the anglo or Hispanic white people; it would've been another group that did the deeds; maybe another stronger group of American Indians.
Actually that statement is purely conjecture on you part. You have no proof that can back that statement. Other groups such as Asians or African had no interest in expanding their spheres of influence beyond their own continents. Since the 1400 there has been only one group of people setting out on a quest for global imperialism; Europeans.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Actually that statement is purely conjecture on you part. You have no proof that can back that statement. Other groups such as Asians or African had no interest in expanding their spheres of influence beyond their own continents. Since the 1400 there has been only one group of people setting out on a quest for global imperialism; Europeans.
Again, does it matter? You and I weren't there so it doesn't matter.

"Leif returns in the following year to Greenland, but the sagas state that a few years later an Icelandic expedition - led by Thorfinn Karlsefni - establishes a new settlement at Vinland. The settlers survive only three winters, before being discouraged by the hostility of the native Americans - called in the sagas Skraelings, or 'savages'. "
[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/...#ixzz1u9U1OXgP

The Vikings and American Indians were close in weapons. The Spanish had better weapons. So did the English. Tough to fight against guns with bows and arrows.
[/LEFT]

Old 05-06-2012, 11:52 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
Yep, keep telling yourself that, you have been watch too many westerns. You cannot be further from reality, the natives of the Americans had a very organized society here.
Really? . What was the name of the state? Where were the borders

Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
I guess if I used your rationale the Pilgrims and settlers of Jamestown should have all adopted Native American language and culture.

After all when you come to a new place shouldn't you adopt the culture of the people that live there?
Ehh. The natives were conquered through violence and disease. Not really the same scenario.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I would say that black Americans are distinguishable from white Americans but they still speak English and are assimilated to American culture. I don't see them waving the African flag and idolizing or showing loyalty to Africa or some other black dominant country or speaking some African dialect.
And yet you still manage to hate them as a group

Old 05-07-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:

If you have ever tak en the time to study American Indian history and culture at any length you'd know that they had their own tribal councils and other forms of government.
I had that's why i don't understand your point. The keyword is tribal. Northern American Indians had a primitive tribal structure but never developed Indian society, state or government. That's a very primitive state of organization.

Quote:
The reality is that American Indian culture was different. Who is to say European culture better?
You are right. Its a choise. You can give up civilization, go to the Amazon and live with the Indians without electricity, medicine, telephone, books, computers and internet. If you think this is better - be my guest!

Quote:
I notice how you conveniently life out how most of these Latin American immigrants come from place where the vestiges of European colonialism have deprived them economic and educational opportunity
No it gave a chance to skip few hundred years of development from a primitive tribal societies to modern ones.

Quote:
Also by your rationale if another group of people came and conquered America either military, economically or otherwise you'd be happy speaking another language?
You just don't understand English, do you?
Let's try this way: try immigrating from let's say Brazil to Mexico and demand Mexico provides you with education, government documents and social services in Portuguese. Good luck again.
Again nobody forced anybody to immigrate to the US but if you here have a decency of learning the language of the land and put your stinking flags in the attic.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
wow, did they have any crusades or wars they named after the years it was fought, like the hundred years war????

War crimes? Anything like the Spanish Inquisition? Who invented the guillotine and things like the iron mask?

Yep, those Europeans were really peace loving peoples, they musta learned to torture and kill from those blood thirsty Indians.
If it wasn't for those Europeans you would still be living in a tent.?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Pilgrims came from more advanced civilization so there was no point in going backwards and adopting Indian civilization. Most hispanics come from a stinking, poverty ridden sh1tholes so its obvious what culture is more advanced what culture and should they adopt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies