Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
They are also part Black.
The majority are not.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The majority are not.
The majority of Mexicans have some measure of subSaharan African ancestry whether they acknowledge it or not...its there.

African Blood In Mexico | Documenting Mexico's strong African legacy - Los Angeles Times

Eva Longoria has 3% sub Saharan African ancestry (as determined by DNA on the PBS documentary)
George Lopez has 4% sub Saharan African ancestry (as determined by DNA on his own show)

Mariah Carey on Lopez Tonight Interview pt 2 - YouTube

Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
The majority of Mexicans have some measure of subSaharan African ancestry whether they acknowledge it or not...its there.

African Blood In Mexico | Documenting Mexico's strong African legacy - Los Angeles Times

Eva Longoria has 3% sub Saharan African ancestry (as determined by DNA on the PBS documentary)
George Lopez has 4% sub Saharan African ancestry (as determined by DNA on his own show)

Mariah Carey on Lopez Tonight Interview pt 2 - YouTube
Mariah Carey is Puerto Rican, not Mexican.

Eva Longoria is from Spanish roots but was born here. She is...... 70% European, 27% Asian/Indigenous, and 3% African.[56] Specifically, her indigenous American ancestry is Mayan.[57 She is not Mexican.

George Lopez was also born here so he isn't Mexican either.

65% of Mexicans are Mestizos. The majority of Mestizos are white from their Spanish ancestors and native indian. Nice try, but no cigar.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Mariah Carey is Puerto Rican, not Mexican.

Eva Longoria is from Spanish roots but was born here. She is...... 70% European, 27% Asian/Indigenous, and 3% African.[56] Specifically, her indigenous American ancestry is Mayan.[57 She is not Mexican.

George Lopez was also born here so he isn't Mexican either.

65% of Mexicans are Mestizos. The majority of Mestizos are white from their Spanish ancestors and native indian. Nice try, but no cigar.
I know that the idea of Mexicans having African ancestry is disturbing to you but facts are facts.

Mariah Carey is not Puerto Rican; she is of Irish, African American Venezuelan descent.

Eva Longoria and George Lopez consider themselves Mexican American....and both have subSaharan African ancestry.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/facesofameri...va-longoria/8/

Afro-Mexican - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In colonial Mexico, Africans far outnumbered Europeans, with the estimates of the number of Africans brought to Mexico ranging as high as 200,000, mostly in the 17th century. From the mid 16th to mid 17th century, Mexico had the most African slaves.[4] A major reason that African population outnumber the Spanish was that many Spanish women or families would not go to the new colonies because of the lack of security. This strongly limited the growth of the Spanish population. The African origin population in 1553 estimated at over 20,000. In 1570, the black population was three times that of the Spanish. In the 1640s, the African population was over 35,000, about 2.5 times that of the Spanish. By the 1740s, the number declined to about 16,000 but African descendents outnumbered the Spanish descendents until 1810.[1]
There have been no official figures on the numbers of Mexicans of African descent since 1810, when a census found that African descended people made up 10 per cent of the total population.[6] Between 1895 and 1930, only the 1921 census contained questions about race. Racial indicators remain in marriage licenses until 1940. In 1930, over ninety percent of those who identified as “afro-mestizo” married within their own group. In 1940, this number drops to fifty percent, with most instances of marrying outside the “afro-mestizo” group is to mestizo women.[2] Estimates of their numbers today range widely from 200,000 up to about a million.[7]
[8] or between two and nine percent of the total population.[9] Many indigenous groups are much better counted and conceded to be larger.[4]
There is no record that large numbers of Africans or African descendents died or migrated out of Mexico.[4] The main reason for the low numbers despite Mexico’s history of African slaves is that most of these descendents have been so intermixed that those with strong African features or cultural elements only exist in a few places in Mexico.[5] While Veracruz is considered to have the largest black population and does have distinct African elements in its culture, the largest number of visibly African-descended people live in the Costa Chica region in the states of Oaxaca and Guerrero.[6][10] There are also some small communities in the north of the country, especially Coahuila, which were the result of escaped slaves and free blacks migrating from the United States

Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I know that the idea of Mexicans having African ancestry is disturbing to you but facts are facts.

Mariah Carey is not Puerto Rican; she is of Irish, African American Venezuelan descent.

Eva Longoria and George Lopez consider themselves Mexican American....and both have subSaharan African ancestry.

Eva Longoria | Faces of America | PBS

Afro-Mexican - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In colonial Mexico, Africans far outnumbered Europeans, with the estimates of the number of Africans brought to Mexico ranging as high as 200,000, mostly in the 17th century. From the mid 16th to mid 17th century, Mexico had the most African slaves.[4] A major reason that African population outnumber the Spanish was that many Spanish women or families would not go to the new colonies because of the lack of security. This strongly limited the growth of the Spanish population. The African origin population in 1553 estimated at over 20,000. In 1570, the black population was three times that of the Spanish. In the 1640s, the African population was over 35,000, about 2.5 times that of the Spanish. By the 1740s, the number declined to about 16,000 but African descendents outnumbered the Spanish descendents until 1810.[1]
There have been no official figures on the numbers of Mexicans of African descent since 1810, when a census found that African descended people made up 10 per cent of the total population.[6] Between 1895 and 1930, only the 1921 census contained questions about race. Racial indicators remain in marriage licenses until 1940. In 1930, over ninety percent of those who identified as “afro-mestizo” married within their own group. In 1940, this number drops to fifty percent, with most instances of marrying outside the “afro-mestizo” group is to mestizo women.[2] Estimates of their numbers today range widely from 200,000 up to about a million.[7]
[8] or between two and nine percent of the total population.[9] Many indigenous groups are much better counted and conceded to be larger.[4]
There is no record that large numbers of Africans or African descendents died or migrated out of Mexico.[4] The main reason for the low numbers despite Mexico’s history of African slaves is that most of these descendents have been so intermixed that those with strong African features or cultural elements only exist in a few places in Mexico.[5] While Veracruz is considered to have the largest black population and does have distinct African elements in its culture, the largest number of visibly African-descended people live in the Costa Chica region in the states of Oaxaca and Guerrero.[6][10] There are also some small communities in the north of the country, especially Coahuila, which were the result of escaped slaves and free blacks migrating from the United States
You used these three people as examples of Mexicans. None of the three are Mexicans. Mexican is a nationality not a race.

Why would I care if anyone has "some" black genetics? Why would it trouble me? I have nothing against blacks. My problem is with your distortion of the facts. Neither of these three are Mexicans and the fact remains that those who are Mexican are Mestizos.... a combinaton of white (Spanish) and native indian. I never said that some don't have black genetics.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You used these three people as examples of Mexicans. None of the three are Mexicans. Mexican is a nationality not a race.

Why would I care if anyone has "some" black genetics? Why would it trouble me? I have nothing against blacks. My problem is with your distortion of the facts. Neither of these three are Mexicans and the fact remains that those who are Mexican are Mestizos.... a combinaton of white (Spanish) and native indian. I never said that some don't have black genetics.
Reading comprehension is not your strongest asset I see. Eva Longoria and George Lopez are both Mexican American. Sorry if you are unable to comprehend that they both have roots in Mexico.

The population in MEXICO has African ancestry. African slaves were brought to MEXICO. They didn't vanish. They were absorbed into the population. The people still have some measure of African ancestry.

http://www.isteve.com/2002_where_did..._blacks_go.htm

Blacks in Mexico | Our Weekly - Black News | African American News | Black Entertainment | Black America

MEXICO'S HIDDEN BLACKS | More Intelligent Life

FYI, I have cousins who are half Black half Mexican that have zero physical African features...it doesn't mean that they don't have African ancestry

Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Reading comprehension is not your strongest asset I see. Eva Longoria and George Lopez are both Mexican American. Sorry if you are unable to comprehend that they both have roots in Mexico.

The population in MEXICO has African ancestry. African slaves were brought to MEXICO. They didn't vanish. They were absorbed into the population. The people still have some measure of African ancestry.

Race Now: #3: Where Did Mexico's Blacks Go? by Steve Sailer for UPI; Vicente Guerrero, Emiliano Zapata, Ted Vincent, Mark. D. Shriver, Ricardo Cerda-Flores, genetic, mestizo, mulatto, zambo, African, La Bamba

Blacks in Mexico | Our Weekly - Black News | African American News | Black Entertainment | Black America

MEXICO'S HIDDEN BLACKS | More Intelligent Life

FYI, I have cousins who are half Black half Mexican that have zero physical African features...it doesn't mean that they don't have African ancestry
Sorry but I don't believe in hypenated Americans. If you were born here you are an American and nothing else. You are only of the nationality of the country you were born or naturalized in. What country your parents or ancestors came from is not YOUR nationality.

You seem to be the one with the reading comprehension problem because I never said there weren't any Mexicans with black genetics. I just said that the majority do not. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

How can one be half black and half Mexican? Again, you are mixing up race (genetics) with nationality (a country). They are two separate things.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Sorry but I don't believe in hypenated Americans. If you were born here you are an American and nothing else. You are only of the nationality of the country you were born or naturalized in. What country your parents or ancestors came from is not YOUR nationality.

You seem to be the one with the reading comprehension problem because I never said there weren't any Mexicans with black genetics. I just said that the majority do not. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

How can one be half black and half Mexican? Again, you are mixing up race (genetics) with nationality (a country). They are two separate things.
Your stance was that Mexicans were soley of European and indigenous ancestry which is false. The majority of Mexicans (and Mexican Americans) have some percentage of African ancestry. I did not comment on the quantity of the percentage of African ancestry, only that it is present in their DNA admixture.

And as to my cousins, well, their father (my uncle) is Black (African American) and their mother (my aunt by marriage) is Mexican American.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:

I'm gonna say that a REAL Mexican is a citizen of Mexico; no more or no less. Not all Mexicans are even part or all Indian; some are white and a few are straight up Black or Asian but ALL are Hispanic.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
White people? WTH are you talking about? We have an American culture not a white people culture. American culture derived from the melting pot. English was adopted as our national language. Sounds like you have a problem with that and if you think that only white Americans drink beer and smoke you're not dealing in reality. Hispanics typically do not want to speak English and English is a part of our American culture like it or not.
HAHAHAHAHA.

Melting Pot? Give me a effin break.

And stop with your effin stereotypes. Hispanics typically do not want to speak English...get off it.

Go back to school and learn what American "Culture" is. It's white people who speak English and see themselves as the norm. Everyone else is different. Your ancestors fought hard to take over this land little by little and remove everyone in their way. You ancestors got a bunch of slaves to make them rich and build up this new land. So you feel a sense of entitlement. I get it.
But you do know it's all BS, right?

Melting pot is a tern invented by Liberal "open minded" hippy liberals.

We are NOT a melting pot. Not as long as whites like many on this board have a problem with people being different and embracing their cultures.

Hispanics are not the Irish, Germans and Jews of the 19th Century. Hispanics do not have to loose their culture to be in America or American.

GET OVER IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies