Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Articles of Confederation had a version written in... German. Just don't bring up the subject to my extended family members who mostly reside in Hill Country, Texas...
Beautiful country! I've spent many a weekend driving the back roads of the Texas Hill Country when I lived in San Antonio.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I didn't sit and read all 183 pages, so forgive me if the discussion has turned a different direction and I am off topic, but my feelings toward legal or illegal Hispanic people are this:

I have no ill feelings toward Hispanic people, legal or illegal. They are doing what they must do to support their families and have a better life. It doesn't bother me if they don't know English, however, many of the Hispanic people I have encountered speak Spanish AND English.

They are hard workers, usually well groomed and presentable, and seem to be good people for the most part.

No problems here.
I have no ill feelings towards Hispanics who come here legally, assimilate and respect our immigration laws but as loyal Americans we should all object to them or any other immigrant coming here illegally. Being a hard worker, etc. is irrelevant to our laws. They all don't fit your positive stereotyping anyway. Many commit other crimes after coming here like stealing ID's or using fake documents to work here or even worse crimes. And you ok with that?

They may be coming here for a better life but illegal aliens are stealing jobs from Americans and using tax funded services that should rightly only belong to American citizens. In short, they are downgrading the lives of Americans. Why do you not care about that? You don't think that foreigners Hispanic or not should follow our immigration laws? You think it is ok for the employers that hire them to fatten their wallets by using cheap, illegal labor on the backs of the American worker while they pass their social costs on to us?

Why don't they stay in their own countries and create a better life there? Simple, it is easier to violate our laws and borders and get in on all the freebies that our stupid government allots them. They have no remorse about taking American jobs and benefits and these are the people you admire?

Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Hey YOU'RE the one that said the federal government controlled education, guess that makes you the crazy one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Dude, are you crazy? Bilingual program for Spanish kids is funded by state government, with taxpayers money. Federal government spends money on printing government documents and forms in Spanish cause some Mexicans are too lazy to learn the language of the land they chose to immigrate to?
My points is that never before immigrants received so much help from both the federal and state governments as do Hispanics today. Get it?
Ever hear of facts? Amish speak their own form of LOW GERMAN that is closely related to Dutch. The Amish migrated here from regions that spoke Dutch and Low German. Both languages are closely related and my Afrikaans speaking friend could easily make out what those boys were sawing.

low German and high German are further apart than dutch and low German.

Finally, the Amish ARE NOT German because when the left Europe germany did not exist. The Amish, Hutterites and Mennonites now located in the eastern counties of Pennsylvania and elsewhere in North America did not really come from "Germany" in the modern sense of the word, so it is not entirely accurate to refer to them as German.
Quote:

Ever heard of misnomers? LOL Amish speak German, to be exact Swiss dialect of German. It has nothing to do with Dutch as spoken in Holland. Pennsylvania Dutch are.... German lol
Pennsylvania German language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow. You are such an expert... I never heard of of secondary languages... I wonder what is the secondary language in France? What is it in Germany? Wow. You are such an expert

German was never a secondary language in the US although German immigration was very extensive. Where did you get this knowledge from, kid? LOL
Must really suck being wrong so much. America has always had secondary languages. In the 1700's the legislature was one vote (a German American voting no) from publishing the federal laws in English AND German.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I didn't sit and read all 183 pages, so forgive me if the discussion has turned a different direction and I am off topic, but my feelings toward legal or illegal Hispanic people are this:

I have no ill feelings toward Hispanic people, legal or illegal. They are doing what they must do to support their families and have a better life. It doesn't bother me if they don't know English, however, many of the Hispanic people I have encountered speak Spanish AND English.

They are hard workers, usually well groomed and presentable, and seem to be good people for the most part.

No problems here.
I DO have bad feelings towards illegal aliens and I have REAL bad feelings towards people who help out illegal aliens get around our laws.

Like I said earlier; it's time to really slow down legal immigration for maybe 40 years till we get our own house in order. No more giving Mexicans a special deal to come here; let them stand in line like Brits, Irish, Argentines, Nigeria and so on and wait their turn.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

Ever hear of facts? Amish speak their own form of LOW GERMAN that is closely related to Dutch. The Amish migrated here from regions that spoke Dutch and Low German. Both languages are closely related and my Afrikaans speaking friend could easily make out what those boys were sawing low German and high German are further apart than dutch and low German.
Finally, the Amish ARE NOT German because when the left Europe germany did not exist.Must really suck being wrong so much.
OK. Hete is Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_dutch

Pennsylvania Dutch refers to immigrants and their descendants from southwestern Germany and Switzerland who settled in Pennsylvania in the 17th and 18th centuries. Historically they have spoken the dialect of German known as Pennsylvania Dutch or Pennsylvania German.

That was wiki. You realize Amish come from the South of Germany far, far away from Holland and... the Dutch. None of them spoke Dutch they spoke Deutsch which is German for... German. Lol. Dutch speaking Swiss. That's a good one. Lol

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-16-2012 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
[quote=rebel12;24321010]Wow. Do you Invent this as you go? All you have to do is google or check Wikipedia. C'mon kid.

[quote=buzzards27;24318212
Finally, the Amish ARE NOT German because when the left Europe germany did not exist.

Wow. Now you are reinventing history of the world. I guess Poles who immigrated in XVII century were not Poles because Poland was not on the map at that time?

[/QUOTE]

Deutschland not Germany. This is the state of affairs when the Amish began to leave.

German Confederation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-16-2012 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They all don't fit your positive stereotyping anyway. Many commit other crimes after coming here like stealing ID's or using fake documents to work here or even worse crimes. And you ok with that?
I know all Hispanics aren't good people, just like all Americans aren't good people. As a collective group I think Hispanics are good, hard working people.

I'm not ok with anyone committing crimes, not even Americans.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM

249 posts, read 194,002 times
This is possibly one of the dumbest threads. First off CN lives in a place that was colonized by Spain and was part of Mexico. The city names are in SPANISH. Shall we change Los Angeles to The Angeles? What about Corona, CA? Is that now Circle, CA? Of course to claim that we do not have any Spanish heritage in our culture is painfully ignorant and oblivious.

Another point. ChicagoNut has pointed out that she does not hear English spoken in public by Hispanics. There are Hispanics typing this out...in ENGLISH. ENGLISH. At what point is the obvious not fully smacking people in the face?

Let's not also forget the nebulous disrespect argument that essentially states that the first amendment should be upheld...but only in English? That clearly is in contradiction of the first amendment.

C'mon? Really? This is painfully ridiculous.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
This is possibly one of the dumbest threads. First off CN lives in a place that was colonized by Spain and was part of Mexico. The city names are in SPANISH. Shall we change Los Angeles to The Angeles? What about Corona, CA? Is that now Circle, CA? Of course to claim that we do not have any Spanish heritage in our culture is painfully ignorant and oblivious.

Another point. ChicagoNut has pointed out that she does not hear English spoken in public by Hispanics. There are Hispanics typing this out...in ENGLISH. ENGLISH. At what point is the obvious not fully smacking people in the face?

Let's not also forget the nebulous disrespect argument that essentially states that the first amendment should be upheld...but only in English? That clearly is in contradiction of the first amendment.

Well for one the First Amendment was written in English. The refusal to assimilate pretty much means they will not read the First Amendment as it was written because it wasn't written by one of their own and in their language.

You're all over the place on this. In some posts, you're exclaiming how wonderful life is in the hispanic countries -- but you don't explain then why are these people fleeing them by the millions to come live in this English speaking nation.

You claim that hispanic immigrants are poor because resources aren't turned over to them, yet ignore the cultural problems of having many children you can never afford and a lack of education which is a cultural trait.

It's actually true that Mexico's middle class is growing and Mexico is not a poor country, but there are subclasses in Mexico that will not become part of Mexico's growing middle class. Yes, in Mexico if one finishes school (the equivalent of high school here), does not start having children at at age 13 or 14 but delays starting a family until after completion of school, a job and marriage, one has an excellent chance of joining Mexico's growing middle class --- and those are not the people sneaking over the border.

We're getting those who cannot make it in their own country in spite of it's wealth and growing middle class precisely because they chose not to stay in school, chose to start having children at age 14 or 15 and do not choose to limit family size to what they can afford. If they come here, they require Medicaid, food stamps, WIC because the cost of living is much much higher than it is back home.

Fine about First Amendment rights -- but we're having to subsidize their refusal to learn English. Even welfare offices must provide Spanish speaking social workers to help them obtain their welfare handouts.

To come to this country to live here forever and never want to learn any of the language here shows a serious lack of intellectual curiousity.

And I would say the same thing of Americans who planned to relocate to France, or Germany or Spain or Mexico and never learn anything of the languages of those countries. Why relocate to another country if you intend to hold onto your own cultural ways and language forever? It's not about First Amendment rights -- yes you can go live in Japan if you like and insist on having everything in English for yourself there and never adapt to the culture there -- but why do it?

Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post

Racists tend to be ridiculous. I try to ignore them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies