Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times

Advertisements

How Texas became a State timeline | Timetoast timelines

When Mexico won its independence from Spain in 1821, Mexican Texas was part of the new nation. To encourage settlement, Mexican authorities allowed organized immigration from the United States, and by 1834, over 30,000 Anglos lived in Texas, compared to only 7,800 Mexicans.

You would think basic history would be well known but I forgot that CD is an abomination ignorance along with faulty reasoning.

The cause of the Texas Revolution:

TEXAS REVOLUTION | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
The seeds of these differences were planted in the national habits and experiences of Mexican rulers and Anglo-American occupants of Texas. Misunderstanding was aggravated in the minds of Mexicans by the conviction that the United States government was not above making use of the colonists to cause trouble in the hope of acquiring Texas by purchase or revolution.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:11 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, because the white European Spaniards migrated here. It has nothing to do with Mexicans per se.
Since most Mexicans are mixed European-Indian (with the European, i.e. mostly Spanish, component being the dominant one), I don't think it makes much sense to say Spaniards have nothing to do with Mexicans.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
And the Hispanics aka the Spaniards from Europe took the land from the native indians prior to that so what is your point?
My point is that it is only fair that people living in those SW states speak Spanish and native languages as well, maybe in addition to English.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
Yes, because the white European Spaniards migrated here. It has nothing to do with Mexicans per se.
"Hispanic" relates to those Spaniards, no?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
And North America just like ever other continent formed individual countries with their own ruling governments. Those American Indian tribes that settled within our bounderies are all full fledged citizens of OUR country. No native indian tribe or tribes owned the entire continent at any time.

What does that have to do with it? That mean an invader of Europe can take Europe because no one group owned all of Europe?

Most of the Indians died, and Europeans occupied it. Its that simple. You cannot justify it with your miserable idea that they played by European rules and just decided not to claim it.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 04-18-2012 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
My point is that it is only fair that people living in those SW states speak Spanish and native languages as well, maybe in addition to English.

What's fair got to do with it? Speak it or don't speak it, what ever floats anyone's boat. What I don't want to see is SWPL social engineering that need not even go beyond knowing that SWPL central planners are an abomination spat up from hell. I will not tolerate the sniffling, whining travails in the face of La Raza, phonified faux-historical rubbish. Its a guilt industry . Find something to represent, like a victim group real or imagined, and receive federal grant money. dats da game.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What does that have to do with it? That mean and invader of Europe can take Europe because no one group owned all of Europe?

Most of the Indians died, and Europeans occupied it. Its that simple. You cannot justify it with your miserable idea that they played by European rules and just decided not to claim it.
I am not justifying anything so why are you so hostile? The past is the past, good or bad. It is what it is. Wars have been fought throughout the history of the world and the spoils go to the winner. Those people are all dead now. The fact remains that the descendants of the tribes indigenous to this country are citizens of this country today. The past doesn't justify Mexicans or any other non-citizen of this country to come here at will in violation of our immigration laws.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
SA is a completely different case. All I am saying is that there is a reason why so many old cities and towns in the SW of the US have Spanish names. It was Hispanic territory before it became Anglo-Saxon... The Hispanic heritage also shows in architecture and other things.

Repeat , the Anglos vastly outnumbered "Hispanics" in Texas. Mexico just revolted from Spain which vastly changed the nature of the relationship including Santa Anna wanting more central control of Mexican "states". I'd like to know why Mexico can revolt but Texas cannot?

Oh right there was that "Architecture". Yeah, I have been to some of those little missions in the state parks myself, a really hopping metropolis like Madrid.

Based on your logic Canada is ours, its got Anglo all over it.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,469 times
Quote:
Since most Mexicans are mixed European-Indian (with the European, i.e. mostly Spanish, component being the dominant one), I don't think it makes much sense to say Spaniards have nothing to do with Mexicans.
It was the Europeans that migrated here and the Spaniards were also Europeans were they not? Yes, most Mexicans are of mixed Spaniard and native indian blood. I have never said otherwise but their Spanish half were just as much so-called invaders as the Anglo-Europeans were.

The country of Mexico lost a war against the U.S. and they sold certain southwest territories to the U.S. It is a done deal. Why are some Mexicans today still whining about something that happened way back in the 1800's and they weren't even alive back then? Why aren't they whining about losing Guatamala a long time ago?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I am not justifying anything so why are you so hostile? The past is the past, good or bad. It is what it is. Wars have been fought throughout the history of the world and the spoils go to the winner. Those people are all dead now. The fact remains that the descendants of the tribes indigenous to this country are citizens of this country today. The past doesn't justify Mexicans or any other non-citizen of this country to come here at will in violation of our immigration laws.

I am hostile to your idea that Indians are our citizens because they made no claim to the land. I am also not particularly fond European culture with respect to its land costumes either. I detest unoccupied claims to land.

I agree that the present is much more important than the past.

Take note I am firing shots in many directions, but they are in fact all aimed at one thing, legal justifications for unoccupied claims of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies