Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 AM

11,796 posts, read 12,030,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
His issues stem from the pot. And at this point, I know him better than anyone. I see the difference of sober vs. under the influence, and what effects it has.
You do know him better than anyone. However, do you know for sure that there weren't pre-existing/underlying issues that drove him to using it, versus him just deciding one day to do it and now what's wrong with him comes from pot use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
I quit reading this thread after page 6 due to the fact that Paint It Pink and Supernaut are too misinformed to qualify for an opinion.
"Misinformed" being the typical qualifier potheads used to describe people who've had bad experiences with other potheads. I think they are taught to parrot it when they go to NORML rallies.

Honey, let me tell you something: I worked in the field of drug rehab right out of college, and I did so for many, many years. You don't know what you're talking about. Pot can be addictive, and yes, it can cause some people to act violently. I am pretty sure that the only time I was "misinformed" was when I didn't know how much money my ex was stealing from me to spend on weed.

So I am not "misinformed" about jack. I suggest you put down the bong, do a little research and admit that other people have had bad experiences with your kind in the past.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 AM

349 posts, read 616,225 times
You know what is a true huge waste of resources and time?

Pro-users trying to convince non-users that it's perfectly fine and acceptable.

To some, it may be. But not everyone. Stop trying to convince people otherwise.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
"Misinformed"

Honey, let me tell you something: I worked in the field of drug rehab right out of college, and I did so for many, many years. You don't know what you're talking about. Pot can be addictive, and yes, it can cause some people to act violently.
So I am not "misinformed" about jack. I suggest you put down the bong, do a little research and admit that other people have had bad experiences with your kind in the past.

Yes pot can be psychologically addictive but not physically,
Alcohol is more addictive than marijuana. Addiction researchers have consistently reported that marijuana is far less addictive than alcohol based on a number of factors. In particular, alcohol use can result in significant and potentially fatal physical withdrawal, whereas marijuana has not been found to produce any symptoms of physical withdrawal. Those who use alcohol are also much more likely to develop dependence and build tolerance.

Show your work. Can you cite a medical paper that states it makes you aggressive.

---------
Though a connection has been made between cannabs use and criminal and/or aggressive behaviour in people, it is not the substance that causes the violence.

The two most recent studies into the connection between cannabis and aggressive behavior carried out in New Zealand in 2000, were interpreted by some as proof that cannabis causes violent behavior.

Dr Louise Arseneault, lead author on the studies said: "We found that people dependent on cannabis were more likely to commit violent crime. But to say our studies showed that cannabis itself caused violence is wrong.

"We found it was not the substance that caused the violence, it was because heavy users were more likely to have a history of anti-social behavior, bad parenting, failure at school, thieving and involvement in the illegal drug market.

"To say the paranoia created by smoking cannabis makes you more likely to be violent is a very big claim," she says, "there is no evidence for this."

So no, cannabis does not cause aggressive and delinquent behavior.

Last edited by snofarmer; 04-18-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:

Thank you!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,028 times
Quote:

I agree 100%.

All that this thread is missing is the standard NORML company line about how the criminalization of pot hurts us as a country because it prevents its use in industry - for paper, clothing, fuel, medicines, food, etc. Pot can save the world, don'tcha know! Or maybe those uses have already been mentioned in the preceeding 18 pages of mush, I don't have time to look.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM

Were waiting.....

Show your proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
"Misinformed"

Honey, let me tell you something: I worked in the field of drug rehab right out of college, and I did so for many, many years. You don't know what you're talking about. it can cause some people to act violently.
but while we are waiting hers is some other info that disputes your so called experience.

Alcohol use increases the risk of injury to the consumer. Marijuana use does not. Many people who have consumed alcohol or know others who have consumed alcohol would not be surprised to hear that it greatly increases the risk of serious injury. Research published this year in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, found that 36 percent of hospitalized assaults and 21 percent of all injuries are attributable to alcohol use by the injured person. Meanwhile, the American Journal of Emergency Medicine reported that lifetime use of marijuana is rarely associated with emergency room visits. According to the British Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, this is because: "Cannabis differs from alcohol … in one major respect. It does not seem to increase risk-taking behavior. This means that cannabis rarely contributes to violence either to others or to oneself, whereas alcohol use is a major factor in deliberate self-harm, domestic accidents and violence." Interestingly enough, some research has even shown that marijuana use has been associated with a decreased risk of injury.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,614 times
Quote:

But ... but ... pot is the answer to cancer and world peace!

Just ask anyone!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 AM

supernaut112., I see your ignoring the pink elephant sitting in the room.

lol

Safer for the Community

• Alcohol use contributes to aggressive and violent behavior. Marijuana use does not. Studies have repeatedly shown that alcohol, unlike marijuana, contributes to the likelihood of aggessive and violent behavior. An article published in the Journal of Addictive Behaviors reported that "alcohol is clearly the drug with the most evidence to support a direct intoxication-violence relationship," whereas "cannabis reduces the likelihood of violence during intoxication."
  • Alcohol use is a major factor in violent crimes. Marijuana use is not. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism estimates that 25-30% of violent crimes in the United States are linked to the use of alcohol. According to a report from the U.S. Dept. of Justice, that translates to about 5,000,000 alcohol-related violent crimes per year. By contrast, the government does not even track violent acts specifically related to marijuana use, as the use of marijuana has not been associated with violence. (Of course, we should note that marijuana prohibition, by creating a widespread criminal market, is associated with acts of violence.)
  • Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic abuse and sexual assault. Marijuana use does not. Alcohol is a major contributing factor in the prevalence of domestic violence and sexual assault. This is not to say that alcohol causes these problems; rather, its use makes it more likely that an individual prone to such behavior will act on it. For example, a study conducted by the Research Institute on Addictions found that among individuals who were chronic partner abusers, the use of alcohol was associated with significant increases in the daily likelihood of male-to-female physical aggression, but the use of marijuana was not. Specifically, the odds of abuse were eight times higher on days when men were drinking; the odds of severe abuse were 11 times higher. According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) website highlights alcohol as the "most commonly used chemical in crimes of sexual assault" and provides information on an array of other drugs that have been linked to sexual violence. Given the fact that marijuana is so accessible and widely used, it is quite telling that the word "marijuana" does not appear anywhere on the page.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 AM

11,796 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Yes pot can be psychologically addictive but not physically
But isn't the addiction still bad, whether physical or psychological? Someone who thinks" they need it to cope and function and get through life still has a problem, whether or not their body has a physical dependency to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies