Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:12 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Throwing or not throwing money at our education system is not the main cause of our problems. 1 2
That's true, but a minimum amount is necessary to keep the doors open, pay salaries and buy the books.

So, if throwing more money at education isn't the answer, what is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's true, but a minimum amount is necessary to keep the doors open, pay salaries and buy the books.

So, if throwing more money at education isn't the answer, what is?
Excellent question. I wish I had the answer.

The first link indicates, "How educated their parents are seems to play a bigger role. This next chart shows the portion of adults age 35 to 44 who had at least some college education, in comparison to students’ test scores. As you can see, the points are clustered more tightly around the line of best fit, showing that there is a stronger correlation between these two variables."

It could be extrapolated that how strongly education is stressed at home is a larger contributor to success. Therefore, the key to greater success lies within the home.

Again, I wish I had the answer.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post

Typical LIEberal hogwash. The communist DemoCRAP teachers unions work hoof in hoof with the Nazi universities and trial lawyer cabals to indoctrinate children into their Satanic witches covens.

This used to only happen in the godless public schools where we could house the undesirables, but now even our private schools aren't safe anymore. The teacher's covens are everywhere! WAKE UP AMERICA!!! Before it's too late!
Look folks, the voice of reason
You people make this far too easy, maybe you should try not talking so much and listening more often, you might actually learn something for once in your life. Jeeeez.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The program was an utter failure for everyone...except for Neil Bush who made millions on the program.

Bush's Family Profits from 'No Child' Act
Bush's Family Profits from 'No Child' Act
That is retarded, kids benefit from teacher's being held accountable. It's just plain common sense to anyone who doesn't have their heads up the rear ends of the unions of teachers.

What is evil about teachers being forced to teach.
To be held accountable.
To require kids to pass a class for real before graduating to the next class.

Go ahead, say what is wrong with what I said, I dare you to defend poor teachers and not educating kids.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes, let's look at the facts:
Who wats to cut education funds every chance they get: Not the Libs...
Who is against child labor laws: Not the Libs
Who is against minimum wages: Not the Libs....
We already spend more money per k-12 student than any other country but Switzerland.
K-12 Spending Per Student in the OECD | Mercatus

But we're not even in the top 20 in performance. So money is hardly the issue here.

Not only that, but I rarely hear calls from conservatives for cutting spending on K-12. What I often hear are calls for reforms such as vouchers, merit pay, teacher accountablity, etc. Do you have examples of such calls for cuts? Since it happens 'every chance they get' it should be easy for you to come up with an example or two.

As for child labor and min wage regulations, this is part and parcel of what has made it so tough for teenagers to get their feet in the employment door. Supppose you're an employer and required to pay $9.04/hr, and have a choice between a 16 year old kid and a 25-yr-old experienced worker who maybe has a kid and thus incentive not get himself fired. Who do gets the job, every time, when $9.04 is the lowest wage you can offer?

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
We already spend more money per k-12 student than any other country but Switzerland.

But we're not even in the top 20 in performance. So money is hardly the issue here.

Not only that, but I rarely hear calls from conservatives for cutting spending on K-12. What I often hear are calls for reforms such as vouchers, merit pay, teacher accountablity, etc. Do you have examples of such calls for cuts? Since it happens 'every chance they get' it should be easy for you to come up with an example or two.

As for child labor and min wage regulations, this is part and parcel of what has made it so tough for teenagers to get their feet in the employment door. Supppose you're an employer and required to pay $9.04/hr, and have a choice between a 16 year old kid and a 25-yr-old experienced worker who maybe has a kid and thus incentive not get himself fired. Who do gets the job, every time, when $9.04 is the lowest wage you can offer?
That is because we are not spending the money wisely, I never said I was against reform, but vouchers are not the cure, they only leave Millions of children in bad schools. Maybe we should look to Europe, OMG, and see how they are succeeding where we are failing. Oh and I would add get rid of the ZERO tolerance rules while we are at it, it only proves that justice is not the goal, being lazy is.
Examples: TEXAS, look it up and see the results of Perry's cuts, schools being closed, more stsudents per teacher in the classrooms, programs being cut. Has our education been improved by the cuts, NO but has been degraded.
Minimum wage is no where near $9.04 here, must be different where you are, is that a full time employee or a part time, it makes a big difference and most all teens work part time jobs. I would also add that eating establishments don't even have to pay minimum wage.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
To require kids to pass a class for real before graduating to the next class.

They're not. They're required to pass a TEST, which isn't the same thing.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

But, if you're that same employer and you can pay teenagers $4 an hour, that's all you'll hire, putting adult family wage earners on welfare.

Is that better?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
These Nazi propagandist told US investigators during the WWII war crimes trials that if you are going to tell a lie to the citizens make sure it's a BIG LIE.

If anybody claims the GOP is better for kids than Dems.....you'll know where that scam came from.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:17 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post

Typical LIEberal hogwash. The communist DemoCRAP teachers unions work hoof in hoof with the Nazi universities and trial lawyer cabals to indoctrinate children into their Satanic witches covens.

This used to only happen in the godless public schools where we could house the undesirables, but now even our private schools aren't safe anymore. The teacher's covens are everywhere! WAKE UP AMERICA!!! Before it's too late!
"communist," "Nazi," "Satanic" -- a bit shrill, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies