Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times

Advertisements

Some teachers don't like kids period. They are there for the paycheck and good union to back them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspar in Dallas
That is because we are not spending the money wisely, I never said I was against reform, but vouchers are not the cure, they only leave Millions of children in bad schools. Maybe we should look to Europe, OMG, and see how they are succeeding where we are failing. Oh and I would add get rid of the ZERO tolerance rules while we are at it, it only proves that justice is not the goal, being lazy is.
Examples: TEXAS, look it up and see the results of Perry's cuts, schools being closed, more stsudents per teacher in the classrooms, programs being cut. Has our education been improved by the cuts, NO but has been degraded.
Minimum wage is no where near $9.04 here, must be different where you are, is that a full time employee or a part time, it makes a big difference and most all teens work part time jobs. I would also add that eating establishments don't even have to pay minimum wage.
I'm not up on Texas ed spending but found this with a few seconds on google.
Analyzing Rick Perry
As I expected it looks like the devil's in the details. Texas addad about 875,000 students from 2000-2010 due to population influx. Total ed spending was going up, but because of the additional students, spending per student declined. Is this really a cut? To me, no, because total spending has not been cut. It depends what the meaning of 'cut' is.

The minimum wage here (WA)is $9.04 and it applies to all workers 16 or over, including restaurants and part time. Friends of mine who have teenage kids tell me that it is tough to impossible for them to get jobs.
Minimum Wage

Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
"communist," "Nazi," "Satanic" -- a bit shrill, no?
No, it simply means that do not know what any of the words mean and they were simply flinging out their typical hateful rant, it what some are best at. Always consider the source

Old 04-20-2012, 12:23 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
National Debt has increased more under Obama than under Bush - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

There you go Mr this is data and all.... since you are a complete partisan and support one side the facts are as the OP stated..... over 15 trillion in debt and counting and no end in sight. When do you think we should slash spending?

As far as those math test scores,here in America, despite all that spending....
Per Capita State and Local Education Spending, 2007 - Just The Facts

more spending does not equal success.... look up college readiness stats and you will see that.... more $ income and race play a huge part in this arena.... unfortunately
Ok, let's pursue this.

If your claim is that Obama did something to increase the national debt more than under Bush, what did he do, exactly, to spend so much?

As the Republicans are fond of crowing, the government hasn't had a budget in years. Therefore, the budget priorities are essentially the same as under Bush. So, where is the big spending that you are claiming?

Also, Bush left office on January 20, 2009. This is what the CBO projected two weeks earlier:

Quote:
$1.2 trillion deficit looms
Housing collapse and financial turmoil leads to steep rise in estimated U.S. shortfall for '09, Congressional Budget Office says.

By Jeanne Sahadi, CNNMoney.com senior writer
Last Updated: January 7, 2009: 5:00 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The U.S. budget deficit in 2009 is projected to spike to a record $1.2 trillion, or 8.3% of gross domestic product, the Congressional Budget Office said Wednesday.
You can't be saying that Obama caused a $1.2 trillion deficit two weeks before he was inaugurated.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's true, but a minimum amount is necessary to keep the doors open, pay salaries and buy the books.

So, if throwing more money at education isn't the answer, what is?
Abolishment of Teachers' Unions.

Encouragement of intact, two parent, involved families.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'm not up on Texas ed spending but found this with a few seconds on google.
Analyzing Rick Perry
As I expected it looks like the devil's in the details. Texas addad about 875,000 students from 2000-2010 due to population influx. Total ed spending was going up, but because of the additional students, spending per student declined. Is this really a cut? To me, no, because total spending has not been cut. It depends what the meaning of 'cut' is.

The minimum wage here (WA)is $9.04 and it applies to all workers 16 or over, including restaurants and part time. Friends of mine who have teenage kids tell me that it is tough to impossible for them to get jobs.
Minimum Wage
Rick Perry's Education Policies Bring Mixed Results In Texas

Rick Perry's Budget Cuts Will Leave 49,000 Teachers Without A Job And 43,000 College Students Without Financial Aid | ThinkProgress

Analyzing Rick Perry

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...jEJJ_blog.html

No Miracles: Rick Perry’s Record on Jobs and Education | NEA Today

I found those in less than 30 seconds, most of the things mentioned have turned out to be the truth.

My 16 year old niece found a job on the second day she went looking, maybe we are better off in Texas when it comes to jobs.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Obama retroactively caused the recession that started before he took office? The drop in gross receipts and increase in people using government programs. That's all his doing? Was he secretly Pres for a few years before he became President?

In terms of where the unions donate money, do you think that they would donate money to the party that's looking to destroy them? Seriously, think about that. It's like expecting MADD to donate money to Coors. It makes all of 0 sense.

In terms of the 'liberal' agenda, have a look at math scores by country.

Math test scores across 29 nations

All of those countries above the US and most of them have MORE liberalism. Canada, the closest thing to compare to the US, has socialized medicine, subsidized colleges, more generous social systems, higher tax rates and stronger environmental regulations. It's 5. The US is 24.

You're on a site called city DATA. Go find some data before you post an opinion. I'm not here defending liberalism. I don't have to even if I wanted to. You haven't made an argument that holds muster and you've given 0 data to back it up.
......And a population around 30 million people. Being a neighbor to the United States has given Canada the free-ride that no other country on the planet can enjoy (including Mexico). If it DIDN'T get its social construct in order with that few people to take care of while also being neighbor to the worlds richest economy, then i'd say they're pretty ****ing worthless.

Your point is exactly moot.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
But, if you're that same employer and you can pay teenagers $4 an hour, that's all you'll hire, putting adult family wage earners on welfare.

Is that better?

It's not that simple. I had a job working at a restaurant back when the minimum wage was about $3.00/hr. There were plenty of teenagers but also plenty of adults, who made more than the kids. The kids tended to be able to do only certain jobs as opposed to the adults who had more experience and could do any an every job. The kids tended to be less reliable, more prone to horse-play, and not available during certain hours (e.g. school hours).

Back then there also was not much immigration from Mexico, at least where I was. Now the majority of restaurant workers in my area are Mexican immigrants. THis is obviously another huge factor in teen employment.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Debt is an irrelvancy if the economy is tanking. I'd happily see the government take on twice the current debt if it was able to turn things around. Allah knows the 'job creators' aren't doing anything.

If you're really concerned, though, blame GWB for starting two expensive wars and then cutting taxes.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
The Lege raids different pots all the time, finding ways to put money into the general fund whenever they can. The quickest example of that is how the lottery "funds" education.

The truth is that if it's just an accounting problem, that can be easily fixed....if they want to.
No it can't. You have UE, food stamps, welfare, medicaid and other programs expanding and costing more.

States don't have printing presses and have to stay within their budgets.

There is no magic bullet here...you can't spend money you don't have.
And everyone cries they all need their money and won't offer up cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies