Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

[quote=freightshaker;23925294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post

Prove YOUR case and maybe you can actually change my mind and I'll say.... oh yeah, YOU'RE right! Again... I have no more burden of proof than do YOU
I'm not trying to change your mind at all. You are the one wanting to change the rules so you need to prove your case for wanting that. My question again is... how many elections have been changed because of people voting without ID's. Which elections???? That's all I'm asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
So lets see...Do you get actual money that you can count when you cash that check so you know they didn't cheat you? And does the person who wrote the check get a statement from the bank? Do you get a seat on a plane after going through TSA? Do you get a car and a receipt when you buy a car and buy alcohol?

How about when you vote, can you be sure that if you voted for Joe Smoe that your vote will be counted as a vote for Joe Shmoe and not for Joe Blow? If you vote using a paperless voting machine not really, you just better hope that the guy who programmed that machine is honest
What does a paperless voting machine have to do with showing a photo ID ?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
What does a paperless voting machine have to do with showing a photo ID ?
He is saying that a paperless voting machine can be calibrated to create a false vote or can eliminate votes that are for a given candidate.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
He is saying that a paperless voting machine can be calibrated to create a false vote or can eliminate votes that are for a given candidate.
Well, that's an issue of a different sort I think.

I don't see how showing an ID affects the integrity of a paperless voting machine. I wonder if people who are opposed to photo ID's have a problem with paperless voting machines too?

If they don't care who is doing the voting - why should they care how the paperless voting machines are recording and tallying the votes?

Maybe the people who program the voting machines shouldn't have to identify themselves either.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
I guess that you truly are disenfranchised and out of luck then ... if your state votes to require Real ID.

A new birth certificate will cost you less than $20.

Instead of farting around on City Data you should probably be working. Then you could afford a birth certificate.

If you have cable TV - have it shut off - unless you need that to eke out a living too.

No cable TV here, the only paid media here is internet.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM

No arguement here....

Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Maybe when you get your tax return you could buy a new birth certificate.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I don't have cable either.. In fact I don't have television at all... I only am able to get on the net when I find wifi, but, I have no objection to giving my ID as well as providing my registered birth certificate, even if I have to pay the county clerk to give me a certified copy... I guess the concept of voting is more sacred to some than others.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Maybe when you get your tax return you could buy a new birth certificate.

I never get a tax refund because the Dept of Education always grabs it.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Prove there is NOT a problem. It would be easy and fast legislation that would require little in the means of funding. If there is NOT a problem, then what is your objection? I think I know, but I doubt seriously that you will come out and state it....
Inasmuch as you can't prove a negative, that's a little difficult. However, having been on these threads for some time, no one has ever proven that there IS a problem of any magnitude, either.

Quote:
I have no more burden of proof than you do.. I see a potential problem that can be eliminated... You have no problem with anyone voting.... To me, that is the problem at hand.
Talk about wasting government money!

I would like to ask all of you who are so in favor of draconian ID laws, have you ever been turned down to vote b/c someone else voted in your name? If this were a huge problem we should be hearing all sorts of stories, and we're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies