Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM

744 posts, read 811,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Pot, meet kettle.
You have no credibility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
What is true is that the ultra-orthodox Jews believe very much like the conservative Christians, i.e. against abortion and contraception. In addition, they also have a distorted view that Republicans are better for Israel -- a belief that is not consistent with the facts. Obama is as pro-Israel as any modern president. Ultra-orthodox Jews will often live in conclaves so they can be walking distance from their synagogue.

Less orthodox Jews, conservative Jews and Reformed Jews are generally more liberal and widely support President Obama. Less orthodox Jews are more dispersed geographically.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
please give me the ED number in Boston that is majority Jewish.

I can give you many that are majority jewish that voted for McCain.
I repeat the best McCain district in the country was most likely 100% Jewish.
No way could that many Jews be that gullable........ Probably the good old Jewish humour and they said they voted for McCain as a joke......

Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
The city that is in FOURTH place in Jewish population is my city, Philadelphia - with a Jewish population of about 300,000. The top three are New York, Los Angeles and Greater Miami. In fact Philly is in the top 8 cities in the world in regards to Jewish populations.

Philadelphia has a much more influential Jewish community than Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, Cleveland, or places like Seattle, Denver, Milwaukee, Phoenix, or Atlanta. The local joke is that Jews actually RULE Philly ... everything in this town is named after Jews: The Kimmel Center Of Performing Arts, the Perelman Center For Cancer Research And Advanced Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, the Mann Music Center, the Annenberg Center for Performing Arts, the Rosenbach Museum, etc.

Philly has The National Museum Of American Jewish History.

I only bring this up because Philly is such a staunchly Democrat city. Remember our Jewish mayor Ed Rendell, Mayor of Philadelphia and then Governor of PA? Or going back years ago when Milton Shapp was our Jewish Governor?

It would be interesting to see more Jews involved in the Republican Party but quite frankly I do not see it happening yet.

We don't see Catholics totally supporting one political party, or Asian-Americans, for that matter.

To give credit where credit is due, the Republicans have been trying to win support with American Jews by being pro-Israel. However, I think they sabotage their own efforts by wooing the Evangelical Christians too much ... I don't know a politician who was more despised by my Jewish neighbors and friends than Rick Santorum.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:57 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Jews aren't some hive mind that act in some collective unison. They don't en masse back candidates.
They do, en masse, back one ideology.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why would the people running Jewish Virtual Library do that?
they're not the ones that do the polls they just report the polls from other people who do that.
they're doing it because they want all jews to be liberal.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Let's go through those.

Monsey has more than 30% of its population beneath the poverty line, with almost 40% of those people being children.

In Teaneck, Democrat Barack Obama received 72% of the vote, defeating Republican John McCain, who received around 27%, with 82% of registered voters participating.

You're right about Lakewood polling 69% for McCain versus 30% for Obama. Once again, the large ultra-Orthodox population has created a situation where almost 40% of children are below the poverty line. That's a full 10% leap from 2000 when the Orthodox population was comparatively smaller.

Brighton Beach aka Little Odessa has a Democratic state assemblyman (who is also a Soviet Jew).

Beverly Hills was 70%-29% for Obama.

Miami Beach voted by a majority for Obama.

I wasn't sure if you meant Prospect Heights by Park Heights. In any case, Prospect Heights, Park Slope, and Flatbush are in the 11th District which went 91% for Obama in 2008. Not to mention Haitians are the largest group in Flatbush. Try again.

Borough park did most likely vote for McCain, but I can't find solid statistics on it. However research did bring this article: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knickerbocker/religion_seeps_into_borough_park_rg12tyteCnOQULXBY n98 (broken link). I certainly am glad I wasn't raised among those sorts of Jews - they are no better than the Christian fanatics who tormented me as a child.

I strongly suggest you do your research before you say things that aren't true. It's not becoming to lie and think that it will be ignored. That's certainly not the Jewish way.
do you the difference between an ED and a whole town. for example in Teaneck only the northern part of town is majority Jewish and guess who they voted for. other parts of Teaneck are majority black so you can guess who they voted for.

Park Heights is a neighborhood in Baltimore where in some part Jews are the majority.

what I said by Flatbush is a area that is south of where you're referring to and is referred to as Flatbush by almost every old time NYer. that area had a few 90% McCain ED. you can find it as Midwood and Gravesend.

Brighton Beach has a 80% McCain ED in it.

the EDs (not towns) in all the areas I said that are majority jewish voted for McCain

I strongly suggest you learn a lot before attacking someone who know way more then you.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
No way could that many Jews be that gullable........ Probably the good old Jewish humour and they said they voted for McCain as a joke......
look up the EDs in Lakewood and come back to me with your nonsense
and just like you aren't smart enough to figure out that McCain's best ED was Jewish your also not smart enough to figure out that Obama is terrible for the country and more specifically Jews.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What is true is that the ultra-orthodox Jews believe very much like the conservative Christians, i.e. against abortion and contraception. In addition, they also have a distorted view that Republicans are better for Israel -- a belief that is not consistent with the facts. Obama is as pro-Israel as any modern president. Ultra-orthodox Jews will often live in conclaves so they can be walking distance from their synagogue.

Less orthodox Jews, conservative Jews and Reformed Jews are generally more liberal and widely support President Obama. Less orthodox Jews are more dispersed geographically.
So the less Jewish you are the more you support Obama? What happens when some Jews get so super liberal that they no longer practice the faith..that would make them secularist liberals...what do they do then...class being Jewish as a race rather than a religion?

So far Obama does not seem loyal to groups or any particular race...not even his own...If I were a Jew--I would not trust this guy as far as I could toss him..The only reason most non-Jewish American politicians support Israel and Jews in general is not that they love them so much...it is because of some out of date stereotypical idea that Jews are this secretive powerful group that have influence...Those days are gone...They decline of this perception ended when Greenspan stood up and said...I did all I could...worked all my magic and sorry..this old wizard you so admired is not the God of money.

It was astounding how congress would worship Greenspan....Once the the AMERICAN OUT POST of Israel becomes of little use to America..they will have to fend for themselves...Americans are only loyal to those that they benefit from...Like loyalty to those jerks in Saudi Arabia..what the hell is that about?

Old 04-24-2012, 06:17 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
do you the difference between an ED and a whole town. for example in Teaneck only the northern part of town is majority Jewish and guess who they voted for. other parts of Teaneck are majority black so you can guess who they voted for.

Park Heights is a neighborhood in Baltimore where in some part Jews are the majority.

what I said by Flatbush is a area that is south of where you're referring to and is referred to as Flatbush by almost every old time NYer. that area had a few 90% McCain ED. you can find it as Midwood and Gravesend.

Brighton Beach has a 80% McCain ED in it.

the EDs (not towns) in all the areas I said that are majority jewish voted for McCain

I strongly suggest you learn a lot before attacking someone who know way more then you.

I have yet to be shown how you know more than I do. Cite your sources.

You keep saying that more Jews supported McCain than Obama. That is absolutely false. So then you backtracked and narrowed your scope to the ultra-Orthodox Jews who separate themselves from society and yet suck off the government teet willingly (unlike people who I fight for who fall upon government help on hard times) in order to support the number of children they have but cannot support (Kiryas Joel and Lakewood being two of the biggest examples of that in the country).

I can't find a resource that breaks down Jewish EDs, so I got off of greater districts. Futhermore, the vast majority of Jews left the enclaves around the same time they moved out of the shtetls, so I don't know why that is the most compelling argument that you can muster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies