Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh? Courts should go by what the polls say? ......LOL

I was under the impression they go by what the law says? But you call that an "activist" court. ....LOL

Typical right wing ideology. Turning truth on it's head. And telling huge lies.
those are 2 different point
the Supreme court doesn't interpret the laws in Israel they make the laws.

my point was it could never pass the Knesset so the the most activist court of any country did this disastrous decision.
don't worry with Israels growing Orthodox population this will end there relatively soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
There is a lot of exaggerated rhetoric happening here from a number of people, which is generating much more heat than light. NY Jew in particular seems to think someone who is liberal is by definition anti-Israel. This is a fallacy--no it is a lie.

My husband, an Israeli, is a huge Obama supporter. He served in the Israeli army for three years. Then, after that until age 41 he served miluim(reserve duty). That's 23 years of active duty in the Israeli army. How many years in the Israeli army did you and your ultra-orthodox pals in Borough Park serve. My husband had to leave me, our babies and his work at the Weizmann Institute for a full month every year to go into the West Bank and Gaza. He hated it.

He and our other very liberal, Meretznik friends all served in the Israeli army for years. Our very left-wing brother-in-law who lives on a kibbutz, suffered a bad back injury during the Six Day War. He was a paratrooper.

All of these people deeply love Israel, and they all think Bibi Netanyahu is a disaster. Furthermore, none of them thinks Barack Obama is communist or somebody who is against Israel.

Repeating a non-truth over and over doesn't make it true.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
There is a lot of exaggerated rhetoric happening here from a number of people, which is generating much more heat than light. NY Jew in particular seems to think someone who is liberal is by definition anti-Israel. This is a fallacy--no it is a lie.

My husband, an Israeli, is a huge Obama supporter. He served in the Israeli army for three years. Then, after that until age 41 he served miluim(reserve duty). That's 23 years of active duty in the Israeli army. How many years in the Israeli army did you and your ultra-orthodox pals in Borough Park serve. My husband had to leave me, our babies and his work at the Weizmann Institute for a full month every year to go into the West Bank and Gaza. He hated it.

He and our other very liberal, Meretznik friends all served in the Israeli army for years. Our very left-wing brother-in-law who lives on a kibbutz, suffered a bad back injury during the Six Day War. He was a paratrooper.

All of these people deeply love Israel, and they all think Bibi Netanyahu is a disaster. Furthermore, none of them thinks Barack Obama is communist or somebody who is against Israel.

Repeating a non-truth over and over doesn't make it true.
please tell me who do you think American Citizens who regularly vote National Union (clearly the most Zionistic party) voted for McCain or Obama?

anyone who votes for Meretz is more anti Isreal (at least the Jews who live there) than someone from the Eidah.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
I much rather all the public schools be Christan and all Jewish children in Yeshiva then the opposite.
I agree 100% with this. Let the public schools be Chrstian - the public schools are not a proper place to educate your dear little Jewish children. If your Jewish child is not receiving a minimum of 4 hours of pure Jewish education every day (Sun to Fri), then you are failing your children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
and your also backwards because in 100 years time almost all Jews will be Orthodox so get with the program, your behind the times.
NY Jew may not have said this fact in a soft and nice way, but sadly he is entirely correct. If you would prefer to see this as fact and not just words, this link will clear it up for you:

Will Your Grandchildren Be Jewish?

It causes me terrible sadness to say, but the majority of Jews in America will one day be attending their grandchildrens' baptizm ceremonies, due to the choices they are making with their yiddishkite today. But it's never too late to do T'Shuvah! Look inside a Chumash. Find a Rabbi to sit and learn Gamara with you. And you just may possibly save the Jewish neshamas of your grandchildren one day.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I agree 100% with this. Let the public schools be Chrstian - the public schools are not a proper place to educate your dear little Jewish children. If your Jewish child is not receiving a minimum of 4 hours of pure Jewish education every day (Sun to Fri), then you are failing your children.

NY Jew may not have said this fact in a soft and nice way, but sadly he is entirely correct. If you would prefer to see this as fact and not just words, this link will clear it up for you:

Will Your Grandchildren Be Jewish?

It causes me terrible sadness to say, but the majority of Jews in America will one day be attending their grandchildrens' baptizm ceremonies, due to the choices they are making with their yiddishkite today. But it's never too late to do T'Shuvah! Look inside a Chumash. Find a Rabbi to sit and learn Gamara with you. And you just may possibly save the Jewish neshamas of your grandchildren one day.
This is a topic for another thread--probably another forum.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
But this conversation is why young adults are running from Judaism as fast as they can. I am the product of an inter-religious marriage, but was raised Jewish. That is, until I went to a Jewish college and met people like flipflop and NYJew who do everything in their power to run me out of Judaism. Why bother when I can never be good enough?

If supporting Obama's candidacy and holding a socially liberal view makes me a bad Jew, then I wish you luck as you push Jews into extinction. Why would I want to raise my children to believe as you do? Or be subjected to your children?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But this conversation is why young adults are running from Judaism as fast as they can. I am the product of an inter-religious marriage, but was raised Jewish. That is, until I went to a Jewish college and met people like flipflop and NYJew who do everything in their power to run me out of Judaism. Why bother when I can never be good enough?

If supporting Obama's candidacy and holding a socially liberal view makes me a bad Jew, then I wish you luck as you push Jews into extinction. Why would I want to raise my children to believe as you do? Or be subjected to your children?
Charolastra, I hear you. I'm sure it doesn't feel so good to be called less than Jewish, when you feel 100% Jewish. But the solution is Jewish education, eventually followed by Jewish observance. Once you get good at lighting candles on Friday night, consider making your home a place where only kosher food is served. Take baby steps. It gets easier. And if you'd prefer not do these "observances" and just remain culturally Jewish, that will work for now. But the link above proves it's not a long term strategy for Jewish survival. The only proven strategy to ensure your children and their children will be Jewish is to follow the 613 mitzvahs found in the Torah.

To come back to the Obama thread... I think you'll find 90+% of Torah Observant Jews will not vote for him. Some use socially conservative views to drive this prefernce (gay marriage for instance). Many religious Jews don't trust Obama's rhetoric on Israel - which is ironic, as religious Jews tend to be anti-zionist. And we Observant Jews get so frustrated with liberal Jews who flock to Obama, even though he draws a moral equivalency between Israel and Hamas. He critisizes Israelis for building hospitals, roads and schools in the "West Bank" with the same vigor as Hamas murdering innocent school children with indiscriminant bombings in Southern Israel. There is no moral equaivalency, and the only reason I can come up with for Obama taking this stance is that his sympathy lies with the terrorists. And for my fellow Jews to side with the terrorists breaks my heart. (If you don't believe this last statement, go view the "rosters" of the BDO movement trying to deligitimze the Israeli government - it's filled with Goldbergs, Silversteins, Kleins, etc - and I can assure they all voted for Obama, and not a one of them has ever heard of Rashi or the Rambam).

Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:

From a Talmudic perspective, a Jew, whether as observant as Rabbi Schneersohn (MHRIP) or completely secular, is equally a Jew. Nobody has a right to claim that one Jew is better than another Jew, and to do so is a religious offense.

Expanding that to claim that only Jews who vote a particular way are really Jews, is just moronic.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Except the socially liberal ones are the ones that are disappearing the conservative ones are growing drastically.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From a Talmudic perspective, a Jew, whether as observant as Rabbi Schneersohn (MHRIP) or completely secular, is equally a Jew. Nobody has a right to claim that one Jew is better than another Jew, and to do so is a religious offense.

Expanding that to claim that only Jews who vote a particular way are really Jews, is just moronic.
you do realize that there is a huge difference between being a good jew vs being a jew.
yes certain jews are better then others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies