Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Millions of us can afford to live in the neighborhoods we grew up in. In fact, millions of us live in much much nicer neighborhoods than where we grew up. That's because the American Dream is alive and well.
I think a lot of that depends on where you live. Like I mentioned, I live where the OP does and the average house price is around half a mil and the average wage is around 36k. Basically, to live here you have to be a retired millionaire or have a bunch of roommates. I know multiple families (married, 2 or 3 kids) that still have roommates because of the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If you are completely priced out of the area, why are you there now?
Because I happened to find a place that was fairly inexpensive. Unfortunately it's a trailer in the middle of nowhere with horrible roommates, the place is falling apart and I've already had two pieces of antique furniture destroyed by leaks during rainstorms.

Since it's so cheap (and it's a college town...not the most discerning of tenants) she never has a problem filling the rooms regardless of issues.

I'll be moving in August to northern California for school, so we'll see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,497,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not a "liberal" thing. It's all about money.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,995,079 times
Actually,I think that the OP is having a bit of a crisis situation with his slipping grades while in school attempting to learn about urban planning.
He has just begun to realize that he is in over his head and is probably not in the right major or school.
Plus, it just hit him how his entire outlook on new urbanism v. sprawl is completely at odds with the finite amount of land we have in the world and the continuing population growth.
He just can't handle it.
We were all just subjected to a study break rant of ADHD proportions, I'm afraid.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Actually,I think that the OP is having a bit of a crisis situation with his slipping grades while in school attempting to learn about urban planning.
He has just begun to realize that he is in over his head and is probably not in the right major or school.
Plus, it just hit him how his entire outlook on new urbanism v. sprawl is completely at odds with the finite amount of land we have in the world and the continuing population growth.
He just can't handle it.
We were all just subjected to a study break rant of ADHD proportions, I'm afraid.
Land isn't really the issue - water is the biggest issue associated with sprawl.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,719,945 times
I'm going to try to stay away from the mudslinging in this discussion. I'll just give my experience:

I was born in a fairly sprawling exurb Boston. Now I live in Cambridge, MA, a city with roughly 16,000 ppm. Instead of driving to work, I walk. Instead of having lots of land, I live in a small apartment; however, I can walk to a beautiful park by the water or to one of the many parks dotted around the city. I no longer drive a car because I can walk most places I need to go, ride my bike for longer distances, take the train for even longer distance and, if necessary, rent a car for the day to get to the countryside.

I don't miss paying for gas, maintenance or taxes on a car. I don't miss living in an area where "walkers" are yelled at by redneck out of their truck windows.

I also know that I'm not the only one, and the free market has dictated that more homes/condos/apartments are wanted because prices for homes in the cities are quite high. A densely populated city like Cambridge, and its sister city Somerville, have very low vacancy rates. Also, both cities didn't lose much in the recession.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,760,686 times
16,000 ppm of what molecule?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Cambridge MA has a population of 105K.

Cambridge, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,719,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oy veh...People Per Square Mile!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,118,730 times
What are you rambling about guy? The housing prices are going down in California (has been for the last few years) and at least in Los Angeles there has been a redevelopment strategy in downtown. Not because the planners are neglecting suburbia but because of the dismal condition of our downtown area. What it comes down to is community developers pulled back because of the recession and unemployment rate. Not because of some liberal conspiracy. It might be time to take the tin foil hat off…

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
There is plenty of sprawl and suburban development, but the lack of new housing and infill developments and making suburban areas denser is raising prices for housing.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM

25,804 posts, read 16,451,635 times
I think there is going to be another age of enlightenment in the future. I think birth rates will drop drastically and the US population will settle at around 200 million. Most people will return to smaller towns and rural living. People will work at home mostly. People will live closer to the farms where their food is grown and they will have less stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies