Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,696,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
one thing's for sure - that is one hideous, ugly-ass cake. i'm surprised anyone could retain enough of an appetite to eat any of it.
No kidding, and then you read this part in the story:

The Swedish minister cut pieces from the black cake, which had blood-red sponge and was designed to highlight the issue of female genital mutilation

So who gets to eat the part of the cake below the waste? Wow, what an incentive that would be to get to the party early, so as not to be last in line for cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM

52,791 posts, read 34,690,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I always find it quite interesting that White people never make caricatures of themselves. This is disgusting

yeah. i bet you can't find a single white person on this page

Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,696,967 times
Quote:

Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,123,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I saw the photo in the link, and thoughts of racism did not come to mind, but thoughts of "WTF are they doing, eating a cake shaped like a person" came to mind.

Who the hell orders a cake that is made to look like a person, much less eats it with a smile on their face?

If a person hated pork, because of personal or religious reasons, would you order a life-like cake of a pig, and would you then eat it the pig cake???? So why would a person who hates black people eat a cake that looks like a black person??????
Nobody ordered a cake. This was a performance art exhibition for World Art Day at a modern art museum in Sweden.

The Swedish minister of culture, Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth, had been invited to come and give a speech on artistic freedom of expression and the provocative power of art. During the reception, she was asked to participant in the art exhibition (to cut the cake), and she obliged.

Last edited by hammertime33; 04-19-2012 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,224,535 times
People also laugh when they are embarrassed or in an uncomfortable situation. Honestly, I think that the cultural minister was more embarrassed than laughing at black women. The situation was incredibly unique and one of a kind event which was supposed to bring attention to female circumcision in the African countries.

And it's not as if the Swedish government or this minister designed or ordered the cake. And if anyone wants to feel outraged, be outraged at those practicing female circumcision. Otherwise, take a chill pill about this ugly cake that I'm guessing was inspired by pictures of tribal African women of the kind found in National Geographic magazines.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,869,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Knowing who the artist is (including his or her race) absolutely plays a role when evaluating art and the meaning behind it, especially social-issue art such as this.
So if it turned out that a black guy and a white guy collaborated on this, would there be racist implications for one but not the other?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,869,761 times
Quote:
Wonder if there's any way to tell whether the people who drew these caricatures are black or white? Why would it make any difference?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:10 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,123,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So if it turned out that a black guy and a white guy collaborated on this, would there be racist implications for one but not the other?
No, most likely not.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,311,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
But yet...you care enough to read the thread and make the effort to actually comment on what I think.
Yep, it's a forum. I (and you) can make a comment on our
beliefs, however earth shattering, or boring they may be.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I LOVE the hypocrisy of the left.

A crucifix in a jar of urine at an "art" exhibit, a statue of our Blessed Mother inside a vagina, a picture or statue of Jesus smeared with elephant dung are all called "art".

We're told by the left to "suck it up....it's "art"!

Guess what?

Suck it up!

It's "art"!

Funny how the left wouldn't DARE use a symbol of islam for their "art"!
Who on this thread has supported that stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies