Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,129,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It might not seem so "out there" if all the people weren't smiling and laughing in the pictures. It's like they're making fun of the woman represented by the cake.
It's "art"!

Don't be so sensitive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,153,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"I think all "art" is beautiful"...says the lefties when it's not insulting their protected class.
Other than mutilators of girls' vaginas, who is being insulted?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,638,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Other than mutilators of girls' vaginas, who is being insulted?
How is that cake and its cutting insulting female genital mutilators exactly? Isn't it more likely that the insult is to the women who have actually been mutilated, having your brutalization turned into something to laugh at, for starters?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,153,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
How is that cake and its cutting insulting female genital mutilators exactly? Isn't it more likely that the insult is to the women who have actually been mutilated, having your brutalization turned into something to laugh at, for starters?
Huh? It's an indictment of the practice of female genital cutting and an attack against those who engage in the barbaric practice - not a belittling of those who have been mutilated.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,818,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You need to take an art history class, or an art appreciation class.

Or perhaps a class on social interaction, it doesn't seem like you comprehended the audiences reaction.

I can definitely see the artistic essence and message the artist was trying to convey.

Mind you, the fact that you're horrified and offended is exactly what he/she is aiming for.

Speaking of critical thinking, I heard if you stare at the sun for five minutes you can begin to read people's minds........

Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,107,306 times
Wow Calipoppy, you sure have got yourself a corner there.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 PM

37,199 posts, read 42,457,939 times
Haha. People are so weird.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
You need to take an art history class, or an art appreciation class.
Oh, yes. The artistic essence. Uh huh. Oh yes, now I see. The ear to ear grins as the Minister cuts off the clitoris is just sublime.

Give me a break.

Quote:
Or perhaps a class on social interaction, it doesn't seem like you comprehended the audiences reaction.
So the people who were gathered around the cake laughing were the only audience? Really? Talk about a need for critical thinking.

Quote:
I can definitely see the artistic essence and message the artist was trying to convey.
Yes, nothing is funnier than female mutilation. But personally I prefer a cake that depicts a brutal rape. Much much funnier.

Quote:
Mind you, the fact that you're horrified and offended is exactly what he/she is aiming for.
Well then I guess you and others on the thread are the ones that need the art appreciate class.

Quote:
Speaking of critical thinking, I heard if you stare at the sun for five minutes you can begin to read people's minds........
Was that suppose to be funny? Try harder next time. You set the bar low enough that you should be able to come up with something.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,873,801 times
That is one ugly ass cake.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Huh? It's an indictment of the practice of female genital cutting and an attack against those who engage in the barbaric practice - not a belittling of those who have been mutilated.
That may have supposedly been the artist's intent but authorial intent is typically for crap as ultimately it's the audience that makes meaning (see, for starters, Barthes' "Death of the Author" if you are interested).

And do you honestly think that if someone who had been mutilated saw that cake and the spectacle surrounding its cutting, that that would be the interpretation? Come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies