Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
If you say so. I think a lot of people might just say "I think that dress looks good, so I'm gonna buy it"

Isn't that what I said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
If you say so. I think a lot of people might just say "I think that dress looks good, so I'm gonna buy it"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Isn't that what I said?
Well, no, in order to argue that almost every advertisement has a direct or indirect sexual undertone, you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Those women look sexy in those outfits, I think I (or my girlfriend/wife)will too ... Says the average urban outfitter customer.
My argument is that some people think, "The outfit itself looks good". Not everyone buys clothing so that they will "look sexy". So either way, whether we're talking about it being two women kissing (a chaste kiss, someone called it and I agree) or the dresses they're wearing, it's up to the viewer whether sex is in any way associated with this particular ad. Obviously, some advertisements are blatantly making use of the "sex sells" precedent, but not this one.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Well, no, there's plenty in the picture to suggest they're lesbians...
I've seen plenty of hetero women greet each other with a smooch. It's not all that uncommon in my social circle.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I've seen plenty of hetero women greet each other with a smooch. It's not all that uncommon in my social circle.
What, with one holding the other's waist while she holds the first one's face gently and their eyes are closed?

Old 04-21-2012, 02:13 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
What, with one holding the other's waist while she holds the first one's face gently and their eyes are closed?
God willing, yes.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:19 PM

639 posts, read 828,375 times
I'm protesting all the catalogs that don't have chicks making out

Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM

215 posts, read 308,010 times
Quote:
It IS okay, whether it's a choice or not. All I want my kid to learn about sexual/romantic relations is that monogamy is best and full commitment ("Take it slow, until you know") is key. In my view, the picture is indicative of love, not sex and not making out with other girls because it's "cool" or "fun". If someone had have been standing behind them, bible or no, I would've thought it was a wedding. No joke!

And how do you feel about the vast majority of depictions in the media being of heterosexual behavior? I'm sure there are gay and lesbian couples with children who feel the same way about the fact that every time they turn on the TV, it's "always" a man and a woman together. They may believe it's all teaching their kids they should be heterosexual. Same difference. While I sympathize with the want to prevent them from being influenced by depictions of lesbians as "sexy" or lesbian activity as "cool", I feel just as strongly about the media pushing sexuality through images of heterosexual behavior, which I see a lot more often.
More and more today, sexual provocative images-gay or straight, are invading public space-space shared by children. Enough is Enough! Plain & simple...our children are seeing too much, too soon.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
More and more today, sexual provocative images-gay or straight, are invading public space-space shared by children. Enough is Enough! Plain & simple...our children are seeing too much, too soon.
Sounds like a local issue to me. What's accepted in West Hollywood, CA, might not be accepted in Topeka, KS. I don't want prudes deciding what West Hollywood can look like.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
Agreed. And so long as we're in agreement that the picture referring to in the OP is not an example, we're on the same page.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,856 times
I think if women are going to kiss it should not be in public and they should alway's be naked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies