Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
I think it should be a Crime to burn the American Flag while in America! (Exception of the American Legion who 'retires' the flag in a ceremony by burning them, and thats the only exception).

People fought and died for the Symbol of Freedom that the Flag stands for! I served in the Military myself, way back in the 70s, and I swore and allegiance to that Flag that I am proud of. To see it desecrated by idiots who have no self esteem for themselves, or Country, really bothers me to no end!

Sure, I can understand the idiots in other Countries who burn our flag in protest, because they hate the 'great Satan' that they think America has become, but, if you ask any one of them, they would give thier right arm to come to America and enjoy its freedoms!!! Go figure!

Flag burners? Give them a one way ticket to any Country that they choose and dont let them come back!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Oh the irony. We're a "free" country but if you hate our flag/government you're going to be shipped off to another country. Yeah, freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 AM

23,542 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Default Our flag

The stars and stripes represent the people that fought and died in the service of our country as well as the people for whom the sacrifice was made. It represents a morality and principle that stands aside from the laws which spring from its tennants. Live by the law die by the law. Without the moral basis for law, law alone, is inadequate to maintain the original concept which the flag represents.

To believe the flag represents a political party or the current flavor of government policies is to be ill informed. The formal government is to be driven by the people not the people driven by the government. Having issue with the government is a citizens' duty. Leave the flag alone as it is the vessel in which the constant stuggle for a government by the people takes place.

Desecration of the flag should be a remedial offense with the option of leaving the US or comply with providing volunteer service to a local veteran's home for as many days as there are stars on the flag.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
I get a lump in my throat every time I see one flying. I do love this country. I just am ashamed of the government and how it's been acting or allowed to act for the last thirty years or so.
But the american public hasn't got a gut full of it yet,if they ever do. And it will continue to get worse.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:54 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I wonder how many know about the old civil flag as opposed to the military flag: The Mystery of the Forgotten U.S. Flag

Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
It might be apocryphal, but I once read of a meeting of American and European leaders where the American Flag came up as a topic.

As I recall (assuming the validity of this story), Teddy Rosevelt was president at the time. A German official said something along the lines of "The American Flag looks like a peppermint stick."

Roosevelt looked him full in the face, and replied "That may be so, sir, but I assure you will never lick it."

Classic.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:47 PM

53 posts, read 151,520 times
It's a great symbol of the American people. I agree with other posters here that it should not be confused with the current government. However, I do accept that some people will still do so, and that should not be a punishable offense. As such, since I believe people have a right to speak out against their government, I don't think desecrating the flag should be punishable either.

I am in the military, and I love the flag. But what I love about that flag is what it represents, a free people. Making a law about the treatment of a symbol of FREEDOM completely misses the point.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
The flag is alright. The national anthem sucks. Give us a new one that the average person can sing and that isn't so long.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 PM

947 posts, read 2,399,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
It might be apocryphal, but I once read of a meeting of American and European leaders where the American Flag came up as a topic.

As I recall (assuming the validity of this story), Teddy Rosevelt was president at the time. A German official said something along the lines of "The American Flag looks like a peppermint stick."

Roosevelt looked him full in the face, and replied "That may be so, sir, but I assure you will never lick it."

Classic.
Good one!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:52 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,985 times
I like the American flag. The visual symbol of the flag is so intertwined with how we see ourselves as Americans that it's difficult as an American not to like it. I definitely would never change the flag, except for maybe the adittion of stars if new states were ever admitted.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
It think the american flag is ugly ! just my opinion but I'm a little embarrassed when I see it next to all the other counties flags! now spain has a nice flag. russia I like. italy's is nice. even mexico's looks better then ours. we may have the ugliest flag on the planet. can anyone think of one thats uglier than ours?

if not, its time to redesign it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies