Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:53 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,875,608 times

Advertisements

aside from the inappropriate use of that term, I think that gays in the US should be afforded the same respect as anyone or anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,395,525 times
Thanks to the American flag, i can spot a Perkins from a long distance.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,175 times
The US flag is pretty awful. It has 64 parts and you can't change the number of states without changing the flag. I have come up with some improved designs. We may need one if we have another civil war or revolution.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,028,562 times
I like the American flag a lot because it doesn't yet have a cross, praying hands or "In God we Trust" on it.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,028,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Flowers View Post
The US flag is pretty awful. It has 64 parts and you can't change the number of states without changing the flag. I have come up with some improved designs. We may need one if we have another civil war or revolution.
Okay, I'll bite and give you your first rep points. Of the 4, I like the 3rd and 4th ones.
Nice work!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,856,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
This is an interesting one. I really like seeing the pictures of suburban American streets with loads of houses with the Stars & Stripes hanging outside because it's a symbol of how proud those people are of their country. About a year ago though I saw a picture of an American squad liberating an Iraqi village and the guy on top of one of the tanks was waving an American flag around. That to me gave off more a sense of "We've conquered you" instead of "We've liberated you".

The only area of the country where loads of houses fly the US flag is the Northeast. Just google street view any suburban area of Dallas, New Orleans, Atlanta, LA, Portland, etc. etc. You barely see American flags flying. Then streetview the suburbs of Philly, Boston, New Jersey, etc. and you will see flag after flag. The media is centered in the Northeast and makes it seem like it is common. It isn't. It is only a Northeast thing.

Check out this interesting article from a proud Southerner. I doubt he wants to flag the US flag.

PoP's Southern American: FLY "THE" FLAG: OUR STATE FLAGS.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 AM

994 posts, read 1,232,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
AMEN. I couldnt agree more with you. Those that desecrate the flag should be punished.
Surely, desecration of the flag, however lamentable, is an act of free speech, and to punish somebody for it would be a betrayal of the principals the flag stands for?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Okay, I'll bite and give you your first rep points. Of the 4, I like the 3rd and 4th ones.
Nice work!
Thanks. People get amazingly attached to their flag, even if it is hideous or a boring tri-color that no one can remember. They almost never change it without war or revolution. Canada is the exception. But their new flag barely passed and was widely hated at the time. Today, it is a huge success and recognized by everyone in the world.

I have also redesigned the other world flags that need it. BTW, there's no point using any ratio other than 3:5 since that's what all flag manufactures use. It's a pleasant proportion and just a little wider than the Golden Mean. Simplicity + recognizability + tie-in to nature or history = a good flag.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:01 PM

893 posts, read 1,202,153 times
I guess the one thing that the flag has going for it is that it's not as terrible as most state flags.

Aside from a few decent ones (such as Maryland, Colorado, and Arizona) individual states seem to have some of the worst flags you will ever see in the entire world.

*I keep editing this post because I can't decide which state flags are the worst.

On one hand, you have stuff like Hawaii, which has the Union Jack in its corner and a terrible red/white/blue stripe pattern. Or Georgia which just looks weird only having three stripes, 2 of which are shorter than the last.

On another hand, you have garbage like Nevada where it's mostly just a blank flag with a lame logo in the top corner. Or Alaska which is just a picture of the big dipper... wtf?

Then you have the vast majority of them with just a stupid logo, no stripes or any other meaningful symbols at all... and some of the logos are just god awful too.

And then you have others who "out do" that and actually put TEXT on the flag, which is just terrible...

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 09-23-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 02:01 PM

48 posts, read 54,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarleton View Post
Just when did America liberate England during WWII? If it hadn't been for Great Britain and her Commonwealth Allies this world that we inhabit would be totally different. Without the stance that this small nation took against a tyrannical and ferocious enemy the world would have been plunged into the dark ages.
No so America didn't liberate England. Great Britain fought her corner and saved America.

The UK needed US men, material, and money. Lend lease and the Marshall Plan saved England after Our boys did.

Sorry mate. Your story makes for good Masterpiece Theater, but not accurate history. Stiff upper lip and better luck next time ol chap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies