Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've been trying to figure that one out for years.
That's why I call Pro-lifers, "Pro-Fetus until born, anti-women".

They don't care about the fetus after it's actually born, seeing as they whine daily about the social net that's there to help all those unwanted children. They don't want to allow gays to adopt, to help take kids out of abusive orphanages, and they want to force women to go through invasive procedures, be lied to by their doctor, or have it be illegal to have an abortion even if she's about to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why do you think abortion "doesn't affect" society? Says who?

Tell me, how does a girl you have never known, who aborts her baby you didn't even know about, affect you?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Tell me, how does a girl you have never known, who aborts her baby you didn't even know about, affect you?
Great question. Carrying a child to full terms and giving birth is a very personal decision. There are way too many unwanted and unloved children born to women for profit and various other unsavory reasons. There are far too many so called men who have the freedom of walking away and for whom paying child support or helping to raise the child is optional.

I say this as a single parent with no family to help or support me who alone raised a child, worked full time, owned and took care of my own home, paid all of the bills and fortunately, my son and I have a great relationship and he has become a successful adult. That being said, I am still exhausted from it all. The toll it takes on women who have no choice but to do it all is beyond belief.

Thus, I say to those who judge women (particularly men) who decided to do otherwise, judge not less ye be judged.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 04-21-2012 at 12:03 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 12:20 PM

858 posts, read 707,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
That's why I call Pro-lifers, "Pro-Fetus until born, anti-women".

They don't care about the fetus after it's actually born, seeing as they whine daily about the social net that's there to help all those unwanted children.

How true. We here the arguments all the time...OMG, we have to save the children and stop abortion and contraception. Then as soon as it's born, we here those same people crying 'it's not my kid so why the heck do I have to pay for it. It's not my problem.'

Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
No it's the easy way out.
I wish I could agree with you. However, as evidenced by the millions of physically, mentally and emotionally abused and abandoned children that have been brought into this world as a source of income I disagree. Giving birth does not instantly make a woman qualified to be a mother.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:03 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
I wish I could agree with you. However, as evidenced by the millions of physically, mentally and emotionally abused and abandoned children that have been brought into this world as a source of income I disagree. Giving birth does not instantly make a woman qualified to be a mother.
Agreed.

Adding to the abuse that often befalls unwanted children is the fact that simply being pregnant can put a woman at risk for domestic violence.

Quote:
In a household survey, it was found that pregnant women are 60.6% more likely to be beaten than women who are not pregnant. Violence is cited as a pregnancy complication more often than diabetes, hypertension or any other serious complication. (“Battering and Pregnancy” Midwifery Today).
http://www.paho.org/english/ad/ge/vawpregnancy.pdf

The common theme I keep seeing in anti-choice threads and posts is a seething (and possibly unconscious) disrespect and distrust of women--mostly by men, none of whom will ever be pregnant. Somehow, in the 21st century, women are still having to fight for the right to choose their own destiny and to claim sovereignty over their own bodies...

...something we tend to criticize when the women are in other patriarchal societies.

This is all about control.

Last edited by rayneinspain; 04-21-2012 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Agreed.

Adding to the abuse that often befalls unwanted children is the fact that simply being pregnant can put a woman at risk for domestic violence.

http://www.paho.org/english/ad/ge/vawpregnancy.pdf

The common theme I keep seeing in anti-choice threads and posts is a seething (and possibly unconscious) disrespect and distrust of women--mostly by men, none of whom will ever be pregnant. Somehow, in the 21st century, women are still having to fight for the right to choose their own destiny and to claim sovereignty over their own bodies...

...something we tend to criticize when the women are in other patriarchal societies.

This is all about control.
It is definitely about control and options. So many men feel that they have a right to choose whether or not to be a father to their children or the choice to walk away. Additionally, many feel that when the intimate relationship with the mother of their children ends, their duties of fatherhood become optional.

Just as having a baby does not make a woman a mother, donating sperm does not make a man a father. Yet as women we are ridiculed for wanting to have a choice in the matter of our bodies and our futures.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:00 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
It is definitely about control and options. So many men feel that they have a right to choose whether or not to be a father to their children or the choice to walk away. Additionally, many feel that when the intimate relationship with the mother of their children ends, their duties of fatherhood become optional.

Just as having a baby does not make a woman a mother, donating sperm does not make a man a father. Yet as women we are ridiculed for wanting to have a choice in the matter of our bodies and our futures.
^^^Precisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies