Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 PM

7,527 posts, read 5,771,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You didn't answer my post about Marissa Alexander, a 31 year old Florida mother of 3, who fired a warning shot to fend off her abusive husband, and got 20 years under Florida's 10-20-Life mandatory sentencing law. It's clear that in Florida you can shoot a teenager and go home that night, but if you fire a warning shot (not injuring anyone) you get 20 years. If your 2 year old baby is found buried in the mud only yards from your home with duct tape over her tiny face, you also are acquitted of all charges, including manslaughter and child abuse. Look at a photo of Casey Anthony, Trayvon Martin, and Marissa Alexander and tell me what you notice.
The reason she got twenty was she left the room to get a weapon and came back. She should have and could have left the residence.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,916,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That has nothing to do with Zimmerman.

Corey also pressed the ridiculous charges against Marissa Alexander.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,962,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
The reason she got twenty was she left the room to get a weapon and came back. She should have and could have left the residence.
I understand that, and she was also offered a plea bargain, but don't you think 20 years is a little harsh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That has nothing to do with Zimmerman.
Yes, it does, because if shows a wide discrepancy in the laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Corey also pressed the ridiculous charges against Marissa Alexander.
True, but why aren't people outraged about this case? Selective justice?

Edit: So because she didn't leave the residence, her sentence of 20 years in prison is just, but Zimmerman follows a person, gets out of his car, does not wait for the police, and he's not guilty because it was self-defense?? I'm not saying he's guilty, only asking why someone who could have stayed in his car is not responsible for the death of a teenager, but a woman who didn't kill anyone gets 20 years.

Last edited by justNancy; 05-20-2012 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: see last sentence added

Old 05-20-2012, 01:27 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,080,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
In the 911 tape the operator told him to STOP following him and go to the mailboxes the cop would meet him there.

Why do you guys keep defending this wanna be thug.

I went back and listened to the recordings a few times and YES it does seem like Zimmerman was already following Tray when he was on the phone, this does NOT change the fact he was told to stop following him(we don't need you to do that) and go to the mailboxes to meet the cop, which he didn't do.

I can't believe anyone can say if someone that had been following you comes up to you in the dark they wouldn't do whatever they needed to defend themselves, I wonder what kind of neighborhood some of ya'll are from.

If Zimmerman had followed the instructions given him, Tray would be alive and he would be home.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,916,577 times
Quote:
I understand that, and she was also offered a plea bargain, but don't you think 20 years is a little harsh?
It was a mandatory sentence. The judge had no choice in the matter once the jury came back with a conviction.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,519,528 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my post about Marissa Alexander, a 31 year old Florida mother of 3, who fired a warning shot to fend off her abusive husband, and got 20 years under Florida's 10-20-Life mandatory sentencing law. It's clear that in Florida you can shoot a teenager and go home that night, but if you fire a warning shot (not injuring anyone) you get 20 years. If your 2 year old baby is found buried in the mud only yards from your home with duct tape over her tiny face, you also are acquitted of all charges, including manslaughter and child abuse. Look at a photo of Casey Anthony, Trayvon Martin, and Marissa Alexander and tell me what you notice.
One thing I notice is that Angela Corey is the prosecutor for gz and Alexander. 'Corey has something to say to those who have expressed outrage over the prosecution of Marissa Alexander: they are misguided, and missing the point... None of the physical evidence corroborates her story'

Angela Corey lashes out at critics of Marissa Alexander prosecution

I guess you bring up Anthony because a jury acquitted her ? Or because the state will prosecute white, black, and hispanic people ?

Old 05-20-2012, 01:37 PM

39,889 posts, read 26,566,286 times
Quote:
And yet, if you're a black man, and a white man walks in front of your vehicle and you nearly run him over, you can shoot him from the safety of your vehicle and never be arrested. Or even have your name released.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:41 PM

39,889 posts, read 26,566,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I went back and listened to the recordings a few times and YES it does seem like Zimmerman was already following Tray when he was on the phone, this does NOT change the fact he was told to stop following him(we don't need you to do that) and go to the mailboxes to meet the cop, which he didn't do.
If you listen to the tape, it's pretty apparant that he stopped following him when told to do so (labored breathing and sounds of running footsteps stops). And he continues his conversation with dispatch in a normal tone of voice for another 1 1/2 minutes. And he was returning to his vehicle, which was parked by the mailboxes, when Martin approached him.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,962,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
One thing I notice is that Angela Corey is the prosecutor for gz and Alexander. 'Corey has something to say to those who have expressed outrage over the prosecution of Marissa Alexander: they are misguided, and missing the point... None of the physical evidence corroborates her story'

[url=http://www.thegrio.com/specials/trayvon-martin/angela-corey-lashes-out-at-critics-of-marissa-alexander-prosecution.php]Angela Corey lashes out at critics of Marissa Alexander prosecution[/url]

I guess you bring up Anthony because a jury acquitted her ? Or because the state will prosecute white, black, and hispanic people ?
No, everyone is missing my point. Angela Corey is a tough prosecutor who is justified when she prosecutes a woman who didn't kill anyone, uses Florida 10-20-Life mandatory sentencing to give her 20 years, but then she's called a political hag who is only charging Zimmerman because she is politically motivated. People can't have it both ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And yet, if you're a black man, and a white man walks in front of your vehicle and you nearly run him over, you can shoot him from the safety of your vehicle and never be arrested. Or even have your name released.
Did this happen in Florida?

Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 PM

19,860 posts, read 12,142,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is possible the tooth fairy gave Martin the jewelry but in all probability he stole it.
Maybe he was friends with the tooth fairy? His answer when questioned about the jewelry was that a friend gave it to him. He declined to name
the friend. Multiple suspensions paint complicated portrait of Trayvon Martin - Trayvon Martin - MiamiHerald.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies