Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Norm Wolfinger no re-election bid: State Attorney Norm Wolfinger won't seek reelection - Orlando Sentinel

"Wolfinger made the decision early in his current term, his office said. He wants to spend more time with his family, spokeswoman Lynne Bumpus-Hooper said."

Maybe he doesn't want an investigation now that all eyes are on the way he conducts business? Just thinking out loud. Does everyone really believe the Black community has this much influence and Chief Lee, Attorney Wolfinger (and who knows who's next) are stepping down? Wolfinger had previously announced he would run in November.
Maybe not the local Black community alone but the local Black community allied with the DOJ, Al Sharpton and the NAACP certainly does.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Shooting a gun at someone is a serious thing for most people. Life isn't a video game.

Your point actually helps Zimmerman. It shows that on some level he showed restraint while getting beaten.

As for your other questions they are irrelevant he's no officer he doesn't have to identify himself or that he has a gun. How come Trayvon couldn't keep his hands to himself?
I find your response very odd. He doesn't have to identify himself, but he can chase someone in the dark? So, I guess if you have a daughter, you must tell her if a stranger follows her, she should take off her clothes and do whatever he says? As I said, your comment is truly bizarre.

By the way, once a police officer rang my doorbell, in uniform, and I still asked for identification. You never know what kind of kooks are running around.
Quote:
Maybe not the local Black community alone but the local Black community allied with the DOJ, Al Sharpton and the NAACP certainly does.
You must not live in Florida, since it's apparent you don't know who runs this state. I do agree with you, however, that politics might be influencing this case.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There will be more people who with nothing to support their conspiracy theory will claim gz's father has influence over the FL. legal system.

Come up with something, anything. When judge Lester brushed it off, was he under the father's invisible influence. Are other people arrested under similar circumstances Not given misdemeanor deals. Were the father, the prosecutor, and police chief poker buddies. What ?
One would have to be familiar with small towns and rural areas to understand this. It isn't a conspiracy, it's what is commonly called the "good ole boy" network. The Sanford PD knew Zimmerman from dealing with him as the NW captain, and no doubt saw him as a "good guy." It's hard to believe that Zimmerman wouldn't have mentioned his father's position at some point, just when shooting the bull.

Recently, the niece of a dear friend was killed. Her SO is a dispatcher at their local PD, and they are stonewalling the family. You may Google "Angels for Molly" and see what the family has to say. I could list many more instances that I've witnessed personally over the years, like the woman who was beheaded by a meat slicer and it was ruled a suicide.
That's physically impossible, but the verdict stands. Or the doctor's son
that beat his girlfriend so badly that her face required reconstructive surgery on her face. No arrest. It works the same way with getting certain jobs...it's all about who you know. No convoluted plots or complicated theories involved, just business as usual in places where everyone knows everyone else.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I am trying to understand it. As stated that I have a "white" looking friend who says she is black due to black heritage. She doesn't have black features or black skin, maybe black hair but it is hard to tell because she wears it cose to her head. She seems to think as most do that any black blood makes you black...(think Obama)!?
What is the point of bringing up Obama? People have the right to identify themselves any race, color or creed they want without people questioning their integrity. Who cares what color Obama is? Let's focus on his character.

Some people will say anything to try to prove their opinion.

Now, get back to the original issue instead of talking politics and Obama.

Last edited by KayAnn246; 04-27-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 03:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I find your response very odd. He doesn't have to identify himself, but he can chase someone in the dark? So, I guess if you have a daughter, you must tell her if a stranger follows her, she should take off her clothes and do whatever he says? As I said, your comment is truly bizarre.

By the way, once a police officer rang my doorbell, in uniform, and I still asked for identification. You never know what kind of kooks are running around. You must not live in Florida, since it's apparent you don't know who runs this state. I do agree with you, however, that politics might be influencing this case.
That happened to me once, too. I called the police b/c of an obscene phone call. (This was all before caller ID.) He said the only other person to ask him for ID was another obscene call complaint.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:24 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
He can follow anyone he likes.
This is the attitude that got him fired from a job, get you into a fight with police officers and beat up by a teenager that has lead to 2nd degree murder charge.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
One would have to be familiar with small towns and rural areas to understand this. It isn't a conspiracy, it's what is commonly called the "good ole boy" network. The Sanford PD knew Zimmerman from dealing with him as the NW captain, and no doubt saw him as a "good guy."
He also took students on tours to police stations, jails and firing ranges in Seminole County. The reason I first had the information about his parents is from his application for the Citizen's Police Academy. I don't think it's available on the official web site any more. However, you can find it online.

[url=http://www.scribd.com/heidi_vries/d/87064208-George-Zimmerman%E2%80%99s-application-for-the-Citizens-Police-Academy-in-2008]George Zimmerman[/url]

I can't copy & paste from it, but in my entire adult life I never mentioned my parents in an application for anything, even a volunteer position. We can't say for sure if it helped him get out of jams, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Recently, the niece of a dear friend was killed. Her SO is a dispatcher at their local PD, and they are stonewalling the family. You may Google "Angels for Molly" and see what the family has to say. I could list many more instances that I've witnessed personally over the years, like the woman who was beheaded by a meat slicer and it was ruled a suicide.
That's physically impossible, but the verdict stands. Or the doctor's son
that beat his girlfriend so badly that her face required reconstructive surgery on her face. No arrest. It works the same way with getting certain jobs...it's all about who you know. No convoluted plots or complicated theories involved, just business as usual in places where everyone knows everyone else.
I know - very suspicious. How can someone run across a room and throw herself on a meat slicer and it decapitates her? There have been "suicides" of a few people found hanging by a rope that are also questionable. One had a gunshot wound to the head. So which did he do first? Hang himself or shoot himself in the head?

I don't want to get reported for going off-topic, but I posted this to agree that we don't live in a perfect world where there's equal justice for all.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:39 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
Quote:
I know that you meant women are "maternalizing" Trayvon Martin; I think that there are many men who "paternalize" him as well. To be fair, those things that you see as transgressions on Martin's part are minor when compared to Zimmerman's past; Trayvon only did what many teens, Black, white, Asian and Hispanic do. His twitter handle is harmless and irrelevant.
Zimmerman assaulted a police officer and when informed of that fact said, "I don't care...f**k you." Yet he was let go...amazing. No doubt his mother would be displeased, but a term like "F a b***h" is far less offensive than Zimmerman's record of domestic violence. Like it or not (and I'm not a huge fan), the lyrics to some modern music are filled with such phrases...the rapper Eminem uses the same language, and he's white. Defacing property? Paint is easily covered over...how many of us older folks carved our names or initials into the wooden tops of desks at school? I did. As for the pipe and residue, the fact is that marijuana has long been part of American life. The brilliant conservative William F. Buckley was arrested with friends on his yacht for possession. Someday it will be legal. When Zimmerman assaulted the police officer he was drunk;
who knows how often he drinks, or how much? Do you have a link that
confirms that Martin can't account for the jewelry? Or that he was arrested for possession of stolen property? If not, that's irrelevant as well.
As for the three suspensions, IIRC those were for truancy and tardiness;
those are, again, victimless actions...he was still reported to be an A-B student. The fact that he's 6'3" is completely irrelevant...so is my husband. Being tall doesn't make a person into some criminal. What I know is that, in spite of these things that so bother you, it was Zimmerman who took someone's life...that's as serious as it can get. And while I agree that young men cause most of the trouble, that holds true for every ethnicity.
If I passed Trayvon on the street, I'd probably smile at him...I'm not afraid of people based on how they look, but rather how they act. Trayvon had no record of violence against females...Zimmerman did. I have lived and worked in racially mixed areas and the only problem I ever had was with an older white woman, so I'm not one who sees people that don't look like me as "other." I just see them as other people. Until they show me by their actions that they're jerks, I don't have a problem with other people.
And racists and bigots are jerks...they cause more discord than any other group of people in America.
Well said.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:47 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Lucky, It's not an issue of him shooting a kid he thought was going to rob a house at 7pm. It is an issue of self defense because he was attacked according to the available evidence.
There is no evidence on who attacked who. We only have the evidence from the guy that killed the kid. Wonder if he had any reason to lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies