Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,233,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh.Yes.We.Do.

*cute* . NOT.
Were you there????

Or are you just going by what Zimmerman, who has already proven himself to be a liar, says?

Hopefully Trayvon gets to tell his side of the story - oh, wait, he can't......because he's DEAD.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,487,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And the "Something" he's charged with is 2nd degree murder. Possibly a conviction of manslaughter as a lesser included.

If you're interested in the legal aspects, this is a very good analysis of the laws pertaining to this case:

The Statutory Basis of the Murder Charge Against George Zimmerman and His Available Defenses Under Florida Law | The View From LL2
That's a good article. I read soon as you posted the link.

Reading the def of murder 2 again reminded me of how weak the affadavit was, which reminded me of why I think they'll want multiple lesser includeds.

I agree that the state has more than revealed. They'd better, or this prosecution for murder 2 is an abuse of the judicial system.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,883,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The things I wonder about are just how suspicious did Trayvon look.
I understand what you are saying. Basically, we just don't know. However, if he was doing something wrong, I think Zimmerman would gave been more specific. He described Martin as walking in the rain and looking around, but he never said he was looking into the homes. It was dark and began to rain, so it's possible he was lost and was using the clubhouse as a landmark. His father could have told him, if you get turned around, always go to the clubhouse, usually the largest building in a development, which is where he was when Zimmerman first made the call. It also started to rain and, since Martin was on foot, he also could have been trying to stay dry. I suppose we can think of many reasons he "acted suspiciously" if someone wants to paint a picture of a criminal. However, he was found without any weapons on him and phone logs prove he was chatting with a 16 year old girl in Miami. It's all perception. What I don't hear in the 911 call is that he's talking on his cell phone. Unless I'm wrong, the timeline indicates Martin was talking to Dee Dee during Zimmerman's 911 call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Manslaughter seemed to be the charge that best seemed to fit. But now the prosecutors have gotten suckered into this quagmire like the rest of us.
Not really. In Florida the jury can convict a person on a lesser charge if so instructed. Look at the Casey Anthony 1st degree murder trial. When the jury returned with its verdict, they found her not guilty of first-degree murder, aggravated manslaughter and aggravated child abuse. She was convicted on 4 counts of lying to the detectives who questioned her about the disappearance of Caylee and got time served. The 2nd degree murder charge might be to frighten Zimmerman so he'll cop a plea. Again, we just don't know.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:03 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
It's hard to take people seriously who don't even know the basic definition of stalking.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's hard to take people seriously who don't even know the basic definition of stalking.
Tell us, Edward, are you an attorney? Somehow I got the idea you were in finance?

Anyway. . .

Stalking

The exact legal definition varies from state to state, but all states now have some kind of law against stalking. Virtually any unwanted contact between a stalker and their victim which directly or indirectly communicates a threat or places the victim in fear can generally be referred to as stalking, whether or not it meets a state's exact legal definition.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
If they compromise, it will be on manslaughter. Clearly, like whogo, you haven't read the timeline link nor the link of possible charges that FF5000
posted, or you'd have a much better information base on which to base your opinions.
Neither ff5000 nor anyone else knows how many or which lesser included offenses will be in the jury instructions.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
LOL! "Railroading?" How do you railroad a killer? Anything that happens to a vigilante with hollow point bullets who kills a teenager is JUSTICE. There is no official report of Trayvon attempting to strike a bus driver; that would have certainly led to punishment. The rest of the post has no bearing on this case. That's common when one's losing a debate and has no concrete basis for their opinions.
Yes, you can railroad someone who kills in self-defense.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-29-2012 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: discuss the topic, not others

Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Tell us, Edward, are you an attorney? Somehow I got the idea you were in finance?

Anyway. . .

Stalking

The exact legal definition varies from state to state, but all states now have some kind of law against stalking. Virtually any unwanted contact between a stalker and their victim which directly or indirectly communicates a threat or places the victim in fear can generally be referred to as stalking, whether or not it meets a state's exact legal definition.
Fl. definition of stalking--- '(2) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person commits the offense of stalking...'

Gz didn't stalk tm under the legal definition.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,883,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
That's a good article. I read soon as you posted the link.

Reading the def of murder 2 again reminded me of how weak the affadavit was, which reminded me of why I think they'll want multiple lesser includeds.

I agree that the state has more than revealed. They'd better, or this prosecution for murder 2 is an abuse of the judicial system.
It's the same source I used to post the timeline of events earlier in this thread. The problem is that the law is never black & white..or maybe it is. Why would a man who shot an unarmed teenager to death be released on self defense, but this woman got 20 years for firing a shot into the air to scare her abusive husband?

[url=http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/27/stand-your-ground-plea-rejected-in-florida/?hpt=ac_mid]"Stand your ground" double standard in Florida? – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs[/url]

This woman shot her husband after he tried to strangle her, or so she claims. She might be lying, but he wasn't even injured. Maybe it's because she went back into the house? Still, 20 years seems like a very severe penalty if nobody was hurt.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Fl. definition of stalking--- '(2) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person commits the offense of stalking...'

Gz didn't stalk tm under the legal definition.
You didn't read my post.

Here is some more information about stalking.

Stalking legal definition of Stalking. Stalking synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.