Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 10:21 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
In a hand to hand situation I can draw and fire my weapon with my right hand in about a second, it's something I've practiced and improved for years.

My experience tells me that George Zimmerman was knocked down and ended up on his back with Trayvon on top of him delivering a beating. At some point Zimmerman decided his life was in danger and he went for his weapon. That's something Trayvon probably saw take place and he likely fought for control of the gun. My guess is Zimmerman maintained control of the gun long enough to fire a single round, Trayvon might have even had a hand on the gun when it fired, that's something forensics will tells us in the trial I'm sure.

GZ's situation was close to the worst possible scenario for a concealed handgun carrier, the worst case is to have your concealed handgun taken and used against you.
I heard the investigator say to O'Mara that Trayvon did have stippling on his sweatshirt, I understand stippling can be present from a gunshot of 6" or less...the forensics will definitely tell a story...GSR, trajectory, etc...

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
I heard the investigator say to O'Mara that Trayvon did have stippling on his sweatshirt, I understand stippling can be present from a gunshot of 6" or less...the forensics will definitely tell a story...GSR, trajectory, etc...
It wouldn't surprise me at all, a loose sweatshirt would hang down if he's on top of Zimmerman. For an "on the back situation" I'm conditioned to draw and push the weapon forward all in one fluid motion. My training would cause me to push the weapon forward while firing a round or 2 depending on what's taking place, that would put the gun at point blank range against the attacker's chest when the first round is fired.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:

GZ's situation was close to the worst possible scenario for a concealed handgun carrier, the worst case is to have your concealed handgun taken and used against you.
A scenario he would not have had to worry about if he simply stayed put as 911 suggested.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
I thought I'd post a few more quotes from various Sheriff Departments around the country. To those of you who keep bringing up politics and 2nd Amendment rights, we all know how liberal and anti-gun folks in Wyoming are, right?

From Pine Haven, Wyoming

"Neighborhood Watch is not a vigilante program. It doesn't give people the authority to act like law enforcement officers, take risks or try to be heroes. And it's not an excuse to poke your nose in other people's business. It is an obligation to look out for each other as neighbors and to inform law enforcement whenever something is going on that seems to require the help or intervention of law enforcement officers."

From Ada County Idaho

"An alert and cooperative neighborhood is the best defense against crime.
Neighborhood Watch is a group of neighbors working together to reduce and prevent crime.
Neighborhood Watch is not a group of vigilantes taking the law into their own hands, nor do Neighborhood Watch groups take the place of the Sheriff's Office in enforcing the law or arresting criminals.

From Hanover County, Virigina

Don't take the law into your own hands.
Don't approach suspicious people.
Don't stop criminals committing crimes.
Don't pull over cars on patrol or any time.
Don't take unnecessary risks to obtain information on suspicious people or crimes.
Don't hesitate to call police.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
A scenario he would not have had to worry about if he simply stayed put as 911 suggested.
He complied with 911 and was attacked, haven't you listened to the 911 call?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
There is absolutely NO evidence that GZ stopped following TM when the dispatcher told him to. He said "OK". That could simply have been an acknowledgement that he heard the instruction.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,909 times
Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me at all, a loose sweatshirt would hang down if he's on top of Zimmerman. For an "on the back situation" I'm conditioned to draw and push the weapon forward all in one fluid motion. My training would cause me to push the weapon forward while firing a round or 2 depending on what's taking place, that would put the gun at point blank range against the attacker's chest when the first round is fired.
Yes, that's what I was thinking was a possibility, because GZ was on his back and they were in such close contact that the barrel was sort of pressed into his chest and fired (not aimed at his chest)... The forensics will tell much of that story...

Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
If he was attacked, which I highly doubt, it was because HE put himself in that situation. Nobody else.

I thought republicans were all about personal responsibility and accountability? Not so in this case huh?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I thought I'd post a few more quotes from various Sheriff Departments around the country.
What does any of that have to do with George Zimmerman shooting someone who was threatening his life by beating his head against the ground?

GZ didn't attempt to arrest Trayvon nor did he try pulling someone over by impersonating an officer. He shot a violent attacker and saved his own life.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
If he was attacked, which I highly doubt, it was because HE put himself in that situation. Nobody else.

I thought republicans were all about personal responsibility and accountability? Not so in this case huh?
He put himself on the ground under Trayvon Martin? He put Trayvon's hands on his head and caused him to slam his head against the ground?

George Zimmerman did a great job of showing personal responsibility, he was attacked and he eliminated the threat with a single shot and without the help of the police who were late to the party as usual. He put no other people in danger and he did what he had to do to survive an attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies