Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 01:48 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I believe him because we have witness statements that support a portion of the events he said. In particular the witnesses who saw Trayvon beating up Zimmerman before he was shot. Coupled with Zimmerman's saying Trayvon is approaching him I tend to believe Trayvon not only initiated contact but threw the first punch.

Of course the last sentence is speculation on my part but the witness statements are not.

Also I'm not sure where you are getting conflicting reports from, the prosecution has admitted they do not know who started the "struggle". So we only have one version of events of the start of the verbal and physical exchange between the two. So there can be no conflict.
Zimmerman was told by the police 911 operator not to STOP Trayvon and he still did just that ? Would that not be considered starting or initating the contract?

Old 05-06-2012, 02:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Such as? I don't take into account the brother's or father's version since it is hearsay.

Then it would appear those witnesses are not credible it doesn't necessary contradicts "John's" statements.

Did the 911 calls cover the whole length of the fight? It is quite possible he did cover his mouth and then resumed pummelling him. You need two hands to beat someone up.

"John" actually had a verbal exchange with Zimmerman as he was getting beaten. Again it would appear that the other witnesses including one that saw "shadows" racing by her window aren't that credible, doesn't mean "John" or the 13 year old boy's version of events are incorrect.
1. I'm not doing hours worth of searching for those eyewitness quotes again. Links have been posted over and over, directly in response to you, in many posts on this issue. Go back and do a search.

2. What makes you think "John" is such a credible witness? Because he agrees with your version of events? I have never seen anything before that says that "John" was chatting up GZ as he was supposedly being beaten.

3. A 13 year old boy is a 13 year old boy, and IIRC, he said his dog ran off and he had to go chase him and didn't see everything.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Since Trayvon broke a nose, I would bet that was the first punch and that he took Zimmerman off guard.
The main thing you can do to dictate winning a fight is to be the one starting it. More than likely with Trayvon on top, he probably initiated the fight. Later when Zimmerman had his life threatened he initiated his gun. So Trayvon won the fight, but lost the battle.
After all this time, there has still been no documentation that Zimmerman received a broken nose in the altercation.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:32 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
2. What makes you think "John" is such a credible witness? Because he agrees with your version of events? I have never seen anything before that says that "John" was chatting up GZ as he was supposedly being beaten.
John was interviewed on one of the original news reports of this story, the day after the shooting. The altercation took place literally in his backyard so he likely had the most clear view of what happened.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
John was interviewed on one of the original news reports of this story, the day after the shooting. The altercation took place literally in his backyard so he likely had the most clear view of what happened.
In the dark, in the rain, without a light.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Not necessarily. It was dark outside and it was or had been raining. Eye witnesses are known to have difficulty remembering details even when they observe an incident in broad daylight.

Also, now John is absolutely stuck with what he said in the interview, regardless of what his memory may be after having more time to think about it. His memory will most likely be tested during any deposition testimony he may have to give.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Zimmerman was told by the police 911 operator not to STOP Trayvon and he still did just that ? Would that not be considered starting or initating the contract?
Did gz stop tm or did tm stop gz ? Unknown, except for gz's account. The girl on the phone reportedly heard the 1st words spoken, 'Why are you following me.'

Old 05-06-2012, 04:09 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
1. I'm not doing hours worth of searching for those eyewitness quotes again. Links have been posted over and over, directly in response to you, in many posts on this issue. Go back and do a search.

3. A 13 year old boy is a 13 year old boy, and IIRC, he said his dog ran off and he had to go chase him and didn't see everything.
You'll probably say eyewitness testimony is unreliable, but anyway. A 13-year-old knows top from bottom He heard the guy on the bottom yell.

If this reaches a jury, I think the 911 calls will affect an open-minded juror. If a caller says the guy on top had a white -t-shirt and another says the guy on the bottom yelled, a jury can reasonably conclude who yelled. Since the state has the burden of proof, those callers definitely help the defense.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:30 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You'll probably say eyewitness testimony is unreliable, but anyway. A 13-year-old knows top from bottom He heard the guy on the bottom yell.

If this reaches a jury, I think the 911 calls will affect an open-minded juror. If a caller says the guy on top had a white -t-shirt and another says the guy on the bottom yelled, a jury can reasonably conclude who yelled. Since the state has the burden of proof, those callers definitely help the defense.
It also makes no sense to me, Trayvon would be yelling if he were on top.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:45 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

Have you read any of the links about the unreliability of eye witness testimony, and the reasons why it is so unreliable? It has to do with the way our minds work in very suddenly stressful moments. It isn't about someone sitting back and calmly watching an incident take place, in perfect environmental conditions, with no stress, no anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies