Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I think this could be exactly how it happened.

I don't think enough people are putting themselves in Trayvon's shoes.
Many people already had their minds made up about the incident, just by hearing about his past alone. Many were happy to hear this to justify what happened. With that being said, both sides believe what THEY want to believe.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Many people already had their minds made up about the incident, just by hearing about his past alone. Many were happy to hear this to justify what happened. With that being said, both sides believe what THEY want to believe.
And it's interesting to see what people believe and WHY.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:04 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Maybe he was friends with the tooth fairy? His answer when questioned about the jewelry was that a friend gave it to him. He declined to name
the friend. Multiple suspensions paint complicated portrait of Trayvon Martin - Trayvon Martin - MiamiHerald.com

Maybe he was because it wasn't connected to any robberies. I'm sure someone would have missed all that jewelry enough to report it.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Although I agree with some of your comment, you keep referring to Zimmerman supporters and Martin supporters, as if we are watching a tennis match on TV. A man was shot to death. How about just being in support of justice?

That is how most people are treating this trial. Both sides are cheering for a particular outcome regardless of the facts.

What difference does it make if Martin was 17 or 57? 5'4" or 6'5"? Are there laws that say a person can be followed and shot because of his age or height? If so, then I guess all of the other stuff is relevant. Otherwise, the fact that Trayvon Martin wasn't an angel has no bearing whatsoever on this case. He is the victim!

My point was not necessarily Martin's height nor age, but rather how so many of his supporters are making a big deal about them. You're right that his age has nothing to do with his guilt, but it also has nothing to do with his innocence.

Open up the Sunday, May 20 Englewood Sun or, if you don't live here, you can find this story on the internet. A woman who has never been arrested in her life fired a bullet into a wall because her abusive husband was threatening her is going to spend 20 years is prison. Nobody died. Nobody was even injured. Marissa Alexander's family pleaded with the judge as he passed down the sentence. This 31 year old other of 2 was convicted under Florida's mandatory 10-20-Life law, that is, she committed a crime with a gun. I guess getting into a fight and shooting someone isn't a crime. She would have been better off killing the SOB or stabbing him, according to all the people who support the SYG defense. Oh, take a look at her photo. Now tell me that justice is blind.

https://static.wepay.com/img/x/l/220092.jpg

And I agree that is an injustice. I see no moral grounds on why she would be facing 20 years for defending herself, but you inadvertently raise a valid point. The law is actually more sympathetic if you kill someone who is attacking you rather than merely scare them off or wound them.

I can also name other injustices as well. For example there was a poor black man in Mississippi named Corey Maye that was sentenced to death for killing a member of a SWAT team during a raid on his house because he mistook them for armed robbers (he heard the door being kicked down, his family screaming and a voice telling them to get down and shut up) and popped around the corner and opened fire on the SWAT team. He spent several years on death row and only an aggressive campaign of awareness and fundraising led by Radley Balko (a libertarian blogger and columnist) finally Mr. Maye's sentence commuted to life and then a new trial where the prosecutor agreed to a plea bargain where Mr. Maye would be sentenced to time served.
My text is in bold.

Quote:
Gee, I missed those posts. Can you show me them, please? Thanks.

Sorry, guess we were posting at the same time! I'd like to see posts that say that, even if Zimmerman is innocent of all charges, he still needs to go to prison to avoid rioting.

Here is one from a Martin supporter on another thread. I have seen similar comments on other forums and I have heard a few people say something similar was well.

//www.city-data.com/forum/24377206-post130.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Innocent looking or not. . .

If Zimmerman wasn't such a total freak (I mean seriously, who patrols everynight with a neighborhood watch group and is responsible for something like 72 calls to 911 over the course of a few months) and instead of having a gun, brought either pepper spray or a stun gun with him (or both) then the state of Florida would not be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to present this to a jury of twelve people.

Now with that being said, guilty or not - Zimmerman has to be convicted of murder, without a doubt. The result of him walking away from a trial not guilty will result in the same type of riots that occured in Los Angeles in the early 90s when the police officers in the Rodney King case were found not guilty. Only the Martin-Zimmerman riots are going to happen all over the country and be alot worse.

So Zimmerman needs to take one for society and at least agree to a plea bargain so that Team Trayvon's supporters do not unleash riots across the united States that could possibly result in more deaths as well as property damage and mass chaos.

And African-Americans will not be satisfied with a not guilty verdict from a trial that did not include 12 black people on the jury. Sorry, but that is a fact.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:36 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
The surveillance tape from the convenient store clearly proves what has been reported all along. He went to a local 7-Eleven during the NBA All-Star game to get his little brother some candy and also bought a can of iced tea..
Really? I must have missed the sign that says, "This line is for people buying candy and tea for someone else."

And how does the surveillance tape prove anything about an NBA game?

Oh, the drama! (And fabrication.)

Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 AM

136 posts, read 141,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Really? I must have missed the sign that says, "This line is for people buying candy and tea for someone else."

And how does the surveillance tape prove anything about an NBA game?

Oh, the drama! (And fabrication.)
Hey! It fits into his agenda so that's what he was doing!

Personally, I thought Martin was going to the gas station to donate all of his money to the homeless cancer stricken orphans.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Maybe he was because it wasn't connected to any robberies. I'm sure someone would have missed all that jewelry enough to report it.
Really, you report robbery of jewellery with the intention of catching the criminal? You know that the reason people report petty crimes like that, is because they want money from insurance. Even if they report it, the police has no intention of investigate it.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I went back and listened to the recordings a few times and YES it does seem like Zimmerman was already following Tray when he was on the phone, this does NOT change the fact he was told to stop following him(we don't need you to do that) and go to the mailboxes to meet the cop, which he didn't do.

I can't believe anyone can say if someone that had been following you comes up to you in the dark they wouldn't do whatever they needed to defend themselves, I wonder what kind of neighborhood some of ya'll are from.

If Zimmerman had followed the instructions given him, Tray would be alive and he would be home.
I don't know what kind of neighbourhood you are from, but under no circumstances is it okay to beat up someone because they are following you.

However, to defend yourself when someone is assaulting you, is okay.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:49 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Really, you report robbery of jewellery with the intention of catching the criminal? You know that the reason people report petty crimes like that, is because they want money from insurance. Even if they report it, the police has no intention of investigate it.

...and you know this because you pursued a career in law enforcement for many years?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:03 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
If someone stalks me at night, then chases me when I run, at some point I'll turn around and fight.

You lose you're right to "self-defense" when you chase someone down. Simple as that. Case closed.
You bet...some nut coming after you in the night, accosting you. I'd fight like hell if I was attacked by some yoyo with a gun, who clearly wants to kill people........otherwise he wouldn't be carrying a gun and stalking me.

Sorry the kid didn't get to beat the sh*t out of this jerk before Zimmerman could kill him. Zimmerman was a thug accosting someone in the night...not a cop with the authority to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies