Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
So when Dershowitz writes the same thing on HuffPo, he's part of the HuffPo pro-gz, anti-Corey spin machine ?
I don't believe he's a writer for the HuffPo. HuffPo compiles stories from other sources. Also, I don't get tha feeling from the HuffPo that they are pro-gz (or TM, either), anti-Corey or pro-Corey. I've read some of their Trayvon stories, and the comments are similar to what you see here.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Only on forums such as this do people so passionately defend a killer. "Injustice to Zimmerman." How about the injustice done by this man, who initiated a confrontation with a 17-year-old and then killed him?

And you wonder why black people say our lives mean nothing in this society.
You know, I have not been following this Trayvon Martin case as many other people have. But, given the events that happen in society, many of us have no reason but to feel like the last sentenced you type.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No, he doesn't. That doesn't preclude him from doing so, but he damn sure SHOULDN'T do it. Who goes around approaching total strangers walking through neighborhoods to see what they're doing there? Who does that? When i'm home, do you have any idea how many people i see walking down my street that i've never seen before? I'm supposed to just walk up to them and ask them their business?

You guys are fantasizing. I'd punch your face right off if you followed me around, and then approached me in a hostile manner.

Some of you folks are weirdo's.
Well maybe someone who lives in a condo complex where there have been multiple break-ins and a home invasion recently, and sees someone wandering around looking in windows etc.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
And you're suggesting that Zimmerman was "creepily following someone around" when you have no evidence to support such a thing. In fact, in the 911 call I heard, I thought Zimmerman was sitting in his non moving car, telling the police dispatcher that the guy he thought looked like he was on something was coming towards him, and that it was only after that guy (Martin) turned and went someplace else that Zimmerman got out of the car & followed.
No evidence? Have you been under a rock? GZ admitted to the dispatcher (not 911, mind you) that he was following Trayvon. He would not give the dispatcher his location, indicating intent to keep on following.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 AM

180 posts, read 202,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHERE/WHEN/HOW did that become a 'right'?
I think the constitution's 1st ammendment does say you have the right to talk and walk about freely. In what way do you think it could possibly be illegal to talk to someone or to walk around in your neighborhood?

Quote:
Yep...he thought the kid was a chump and would be scared. But as so often happens on the streets, he made a grave miscalculation and got his ass kicked. He couldn't handle it, so he shot the kid. That's the whole damn story in a nutshell. Folks are mostly angry at the fact that this young kid manhandled a grown ass man, so they think it's ok to shoot him. They'd only be on Martin's side if it was apparent that he was the one getting the ass kicking before he got shot. They talk about Zimmerman's right to protect himself, but they don't think the kid should've protected himself from some idiot following him around and approaching him.
That's not it in a nutshell. How are you and so many others able to tell us what GZ was thinking? Sorry, I don't believe in psychics. You're making assumptions by saying what GZ's thinking and even when you say that GZ approached TM. According to GZ, TM attacked him when he was on his way back to his vehicle. Since TM was within a couple hundred feet of his house and could have been inside, it SEEMS likely that GZ is telling the truth about that at least. But the fact it, we don't know and all the people who keep saying "this is what happened and this is what the people were thinking" are just blowing smoke.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times
I tell you what, please let us know the next time a black man that you don't know follows you in his car and then gets out of his vehicle and pursues you on foot. I would really love to know what your reaction would be and whether you advocating their "right" to follow you or if you would be alarmed.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
It is alarming to me that there exist idiots in this country that are so arrogant and bully minded as to believe I have no right to follow them down the street that the act of doing so presupposes the right to attack me and end up on the wring end of a gun. What lunacy to believe that. The further time takes us away from the racist instigators whose sole purpose is political capital the more we understand the injustice to Zimmerman.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:10 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't he? It's his neighborhood. Why shouldn't he be concerned with who is walking around there, especially since there had been a few break ins recently? Why shouldn't most people take an interest in the strangers in their neighborhoods? I do. When I'm outside my home, and I see a stranger walking around, looking like he's not sure where he's headed, I say hello and ask if I can help him find who or what he's looking for. Usually it's just that they can't find the particular address. They appreciate the help in finding it. Sometimes it's just someone out for a walk, and enjoying my quiet tree lined street. They appreciate the friendliness, are at least cordial in return, and several have commented that it's great to see people out doing things like that. They take it as a sign of a secure peaceful neighborhood. And while some just grunt a wordless greeting and walk on by, possibly thinking I'm a weirdo for talking to random strangers on the street, and knowing that I am watching them to see where they go, no one has attempted to punch me in the face yet.
Being concerned is fine -- call the police. He did. They advised him what he needed to do and what he didn't need to do.

Walking out of your own house to greet someone as they're walking by is fine. Following them around in your car while they're walking on a sidewalk, however, is quite different. People know when they're being followed. Being followed makes people feel uneasy. It's common sense stuff, really. The last thing you want to do in that situation is get out of a car and chase after them on foot -- with a loaded firearm.

Seriously, common sense, folks. Common sense.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerdavis View Post
I think the constitution's 1st ammendment does say you have the right to talk and walk about freely. In what way do you think it could possibly be illegal to talk to someone or to walk around in your neighborhood?

That's not it in a nutshell. How are you and so many others able to tell us what GZ was thinking? Sorry, I don't believe in psychics. You're making assumptions by saying what GZ's thinking and even when you say that GZ approached TM. According to GZ, TM attacked him when he was on his way back to his vehicle. Since TM was within a couple hundred feet of his house and could have been inside, it SEEMS likely that GZ is telling the truth about that at least. But the fact it, we don't know and all the people who keep saying "this is what happened and this is what the people were thinking" are just blowing smoke.
I'm right, you're wrong.

The end.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
And you're suggesting that Zimmerman was "creepily following someone around" when you have no evidence to support such a thing. In fact, in the 911 call I heard, I thought Zimmerman was sitting in his non moving car, telling the police dispatcher that the guy he thought looked like he was on something was coming towards him, and that it was only after that guy (Martin) turned and went someplace else that Zimmerman got out of the car & followed.
Fine, let's not call it 'creepily following someone around', since we can't agree on what that means. Let's just call it what it is: following someone around in a car to the point where the other person knew he was being followed by a complete stranger (established fact), and then getting out on foot to pursue someone who knew they were being followed by a stranger (established fact), with a loaded firearm (established fact).

All Zimmerman had to do was to contact the police, which he apparently did. He could have left it at that, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Well maybe someone who lives in a condo complex where there have been multiple break-ins and a home invasion recently, and sees someone wandering around looking in windows etc.
I don't give a damn how many break-in's you've had. That has NOTHING to do with the kid. You can watch him all you want. But if you get in a car and follow him and he notices you, then you later jump out of the car and approach him, you deserve to get your ass beat. You're asking for just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies