Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin are both victims of a society that has lost its compassion and its humanism because of laws that tell us it's okay to take a human life because of a bill promoted by greedy billionaires. They're all laughing at us while we kill each other as they sip their martinis.
Do you actually believe this?

Old 05-22-2012, 05:20 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Please reply to a post properly on this board. I do not appreciate it when someone changes my original post. I believe that posting inside another comment is against the TOS. Thank you.
Thank you for completely ignoring everything I wrote to complain about a technicality instead.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Looks like the case is really heading towards the charges being dismissed or dropped. The media is finally starting to realize they slanted and under-reported the facts.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 AM

812 posts, read 595,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Looks like the case is really heading towards the charges being dismissed or dropped. The media is finally starting to realize they slanted and under-reported the facts.
The liberal media inclusive o the alphabet stations is more hypocritical than Marx himself. They receive their power by duping the masses into thinking they are compassionate and philanthropic when in fact they are a bunch of vultures preying on the weak minded. The USA politburo!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
There is a victimization psychology burned so deeply into the psyche of many that they are tragically doomed to their world view. They and theirs can never hope to progress in a free society because they have locked themselves in their own cell and thrown away the key.
For my part, and I will leave this discussion, I will wait for all the facts to come in. If I find through the facts that Zimmerman made any effort to lay hands on the young man and he defended himself and Zimmerman actually started the altercation by invading his body space I would wish to see Zimmerman hang. Based upon th indications I interpret them much differently than I have seen posted here from those that oppose my viewpoint.

I submit those opposing viewpoints exhibit wild notions of if not racism extreme prejudice.
"For my part, I will leave this discussion"?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
It does? How so?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
So why do you continue to post on this thread? Nobody is forcing you to give this case "any more attention or dialogue."
Came across this today. Martin was a member of an underground fight club.

Hoft at Gateway Pundit relates the discovery of video from Trayvon Martin’s YouTube account, removed at some point during the last month, that shows he was actually involved in some sort of underground “fight club.”

So if Trayvon had stayed in his fight club, had not been walking in the rain on his drugs and not gone after Zimmerman MMA style he'd be alive today.

This case disintegrates by the minute at this point.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It does? How so?
Have you seen the new Trayvon fight club videos?

Did you watch Good Morning America?

The main question on GMA was if the charges should be dropped. Several black and white photos showing broken nose and lacerations.

Continue living under a rock.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't care. Makes me no difference.

As far as i'm concerned, i hope Zimmerman gets off scott-free. I really do. He's better off doing a few years in jail. But if they let him go free, he'll always be the dude that shot an unarmed kid and got away with it.....and folks will KNOW it, and they won't forget it.
You do realize, people shoot unarmed people all the time. The police shoot unarmed people all the time. Being unarmed is not the same as being defenseless. Mike Tyson might be unarmed, but does that make him defenseless? If he starts pounding your face into the ground, what are you going to do?

The reality in this case is that you really have two different groups who simply feel differently about the case. And its a divisive, dug-in war between the two groups. It should be obvious that there are plenty of people who support Zimmerman, not only by the divisiveness in this forum, but also the amount of money he raised for his defense, in a rather short period of time.

The reality is, this case is really less about Zimmerman himself, who seems to be a well-spoken, respectful member of society, and who has proof of significant injuries he sustained. When we discuss the Zimmerman/Martin case, it is rarely through the lens of the legal aspect in the case as Florida law stands today. It seems to rather be that we are looking through our own view of society in general, and whether or not we can justify in our minds this killing.

I remember the cops pepper sprayed a kid, and a lot of people were in an uproar. The question is, was it illegal? No. The cops pepper sprayed a bunch of protesting college kids, we threw a fit. Was it illegal? No.

Is making an assumption that a 17-year old kid in a hoodie, that you've never seen before, walking through your gated community is a criminal? No. And it doesn't even matter if he was black or white or hispanic or Asian. It simply isn't a crime, and really shouldn't be a crime. To believe that young people are more likely to commit a crime doesn't mean I hate young people. To believe that men are more likely to commit crimes than women doesn't mean I hate men. And to believe that blacks are more likely to commit crimes than other races, doesn't mean I hate blacks.

Is shooting an unarmed person illegal? No. Is carrying a concealed weapon illegal if you have a permit in Florida? No. Is trying to keep an eye on someone , on property you have the right to be on, and who you believe is acting suspiciously, illegal? No. Is it illegal in Florida to defend yourself with deadly force if someone is beating the crap out of you, and you believe that you could sustain a serious injury? No.

Those are really the issues of the case. And Zimmerman is simply not guilty on all counts. The problem isn't if he is guilty or not of actual crimes. What we seem to be discussing is rather if he should be guilty of a crime. Whether or not it SHOULD be a crime for him to do what he did. And while that is a legitimate question, it doesn't necessarily apply in this case.

Another example is, we seem to be arguing about gun rights as a result of this case. Some senators were trying to deny Florida funding, because in their mind, Florida didn't deserve money because their laws weren't protecting their own citizens(which was a result of this case). And in their mind, they meant the stand your ground laws, and in many cases, just the availability of guns in general.

In Oklahoma, not only are we allowing people to buy and carry guns, but we are going the exact opposite direction of places like New York City and Chicago and other metro's. Our governor just passed a law making it legal to open-carry firearms in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma governor signs open-carry gun bill - Yahoo! News

I don't know what the polling is on the Martin case in Oklahoma. But I can almost guarantee that the vast majority of Oklahomans think he is innocent, and that the media is drumming things up to cause problems. And further, I can guarantee that it won't affect Oklahoma's gun laws in any way, except maybe in the opposite direction liberals pushing this issue want them to go.

Basically, Zimmerman would be largely welcomed here in Oklahoma. And we will be pissed if he has to do any time at all.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
And we will be pissed if he has to do any time at all.
So, whoop-dee-do. People in Oklahoma are going to be "pissed" if Zimmerman has to do any time at all. Do you speak for ALL the citizens of Oklahoma?

And, for the record, a whole lot of us are going to be "pissed" if he isn't held accountable for setting the wheels in motion that resulted in the death of an innocent kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies