Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 10:19 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
You, my friend, are clueless. I suggest you drink some coffee and wake up a bit before commenting about something you obviously fail to understand.

Reread my previous posts in this thread and you'll realize that my point is that there IS a middle ground; which is why I'm not 100% in favor of a woman killing her attacker under any and all circumstances.
You have no idea what you are talking about midatlantic.
When a person, man or woman, is being physically assaulted they do have the right to use deadly force to defend themself. How do you propose a woman know her rapist's intention? Should she ask him and take his word for it?
If your mother is being raped by a "friendly" rapist should she just spread her legs and enjoy it or blow the SOB's head off?
Same principle applies with the Zimmerman case. Zimmerman had no way to know Martin's intentions while he was beating Zimmerman, and Martin may not have either.
That's the thing about violent assaults, they can quickly escalate and turn deadly. Why should the victim be required to guess whether or not that will happen?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,465 times
George Zimmerman is not white.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
All of that crap has absolutely no bearing on what happened that night. The same people are sulling Trayvon's reputation are also the ones that are ignoring zimmerman's pass violent behavior, which has more relevance to this case.
If I see someone write that tm's school record is 'typical' or 'everyone does it' I'll defend the rep of teens by saying no it's not, if I'm in the mood. If you say it's typical at his hs or for his friends or neighborhood I'll shut up because maybe it is; I don't know.

One thing may have a bearing, though not to you or other IAmTrayvons. The THC in his blood and gz's comments on the 911 call. The jewelry and screwdriver probably are too big a stretch to be relevant.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
[quote=UKBLACKGUY;24455901]

Quote:
There is good chance of getting away with. Had it not been for the huge protests about Trayvon. Zimmerman would be relaxing with his friends, probably bragging with his mates about killing martin
Really, is this how all black people think?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Really, is this how all black people think?
Not people ghostrider, liberals.

White ones too.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
It's far, far too broad. IMO, it encourages people to kill first, ask questions later, which is a very bad idea. The self defense laws allow people to defend themselves. There's no need for a SYG law. I believe Zimmerman was knowledgeable about SYG and it's my opinion that neither Martin nor Zimmerman would be dead today as a result of their encounter if there were no SYG law in Florida. Zimmerman almost desperately wanted to be a law enforcement officer, so of course he was aware of the law and what he had to say.

This from the person who admonishes others for speculation and proposing facts that don't exist.

If you always work for the defense, I'd not want to be a defendant, or you're confused about who the defendant is.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:55 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about midatlantic.
When a person, man or woman, is being physically assaulted they do have the right to use deadly force to defend themself. How do you propose a woman know her rapist's intention? Should she ask him and take his word for it?
If your mother is being raped by a "friendly" rapist should she just spread her legs and enjoy it or blow the SOB's head off?
Same principle applies with the Zimmerman case. Zimmerman had no way to know Martin's intentions while he was beating Zimmerman, and Martin may not have either.
That's the thing about violent assaults, they can quickly escalate and turn deadly. Why should the victim be required to guess whether or not that will happen?
Well, y' y' y' y'know, the rapist could have been, like, given a tough break in life man, and like, y'know, dude, maybe he was just letting off some anger in response to society's oppression of him, I mean maybe the woman was asking for it, y'know man?

/apologist

I don't like comparing the TM/GZ case to any rape case though. In rape it's pretty clear-cut that one party is the victim and the other party deserves to be put on the ****ing gallows, or at least have their head blown off by the victim.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
In any of the murders, besides Martin's, you cited was self defense or a stand your ground law an issue?

You are comparing apples and oranges.
This is part of the problem. States have passed stand-your-ground laws that allow people like Zimmerman to literally get away with murder. If a Black homeowner had shot a White passer-by, saying he looked menacing, or looked like a potential intruder (these are the claims Zimmerman made right after the incident, months ago), he or she would have been treated completely differently by law enforcement. Stand-you-ground is a law created by Whites for Whites.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
I've decided that I don't give a crap about Trayvon Martin and am perfectly happy letting the courts decide if Zimmerman is guilty or not. The court's decision either way does not affect or matter to me.

Whenever I see a Zimmerman/Martin headline on the news I skip to the next channel. Same with web news, I click next story.

The mainstream media and professional race-mongers like Al Sharpton desperately want a race war but I will not participate.

I prefer to focus my energies toward things that impact me and my community, such as the never-ending Obama recession.

Millions of people die every day, many in tragic situations, many without so much as a mention in the local paper. Life goes on.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I just want to say, I don't agree with this sentiment. Property crimes are rarely ever solved. In most cases, the police won't even attempt to do a real investigation into most property crimes, unless there was significant damage.

I had my motorcycle stolen, and the cop seemed to be more interested in making sure I wasn't committing insurance fraud, than actually being concerned for my motorcycle. And I didn't even have theft coverage on my motorcycle to begin with.

Motorcycle thefts are almost never actually solved. If you are lucky, they'll ditch the motorcycle in a field somewhere, and the police will check the plates or VIN and you'll get it back. But most vehicle thefts end up in chop shops and the pieces get sold on Ebay.

The reality is that, there is very little the police can do in most cases. And the reason people lock their doors and get alarm systems, is because people understand that they need to at least make an attempt to protect themselves. The reason people carry pepper spray, or a firearm, is because the police simply can't be everywhere at all times.

So to believe that individuals should take absolutely no part in protecting their property and community, and that the police can actually protect absolutely anything, is foolish. In fact, the courts have already ruled that the police have no obligation to protect anything or anyone.

I'm not happy about Trayvon being killed, but this is the real world. And in the real world there are bad people, and Trayvon for some reason decided to dress up like a bad person. And if you are wearing the gangster uniform, there should be an expectation that people will think you are a gangster and act accordingly. And when you decide to punch someone in the face and then jump on top of them, there should also be an expectation that someone will react.

In this case, I don't particularly want to blame Trayvon Martin for his death. He was just a kid. I really blame his parents, and the black community. For allowing him to dress and act this way, and for pretending that this should be acceptable dress and behavior. And not simply being honest to kids, and telling them that if they dress and behave in a certain way, then people will assume them to be bad people.

Had Trayvon not been dressed like a gang member, and/or not been smoking marijuana. He would be alive today. Period.
Hmmm interesting, so in otherwords blacks are no allowed to dress like everyone else. I guess that if zuckerberg who has been seen with a hoodie was in Trayvon's shoes he would not have been bothered? And WTF do you mean dressed like a gang member? Also where do you come off as condeming his parents and a whole race of people because of one deranged wannabe cop? Perhaps you should go to a neighborhood that is predominately black/latino and have someone follow you around and question your right to be there. If you object, maybe it would be alright for you to get shot trying to defend yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies