Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 12:22 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,867 times

Advertisements

Actually the term Cristal was used until it's spelling was changed to Crystal in the early 1800's, so technically he is right

Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Actually the term Cristal was used until it's spelling was changed to Crystal in the early 1800's, so technically he is right
Look at the calendar...it is 2012.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
Does somebody have to be armed to be a threat?
No, of course not. However, the original Castle Laws were written to protect someone in the comfort of his own home. Then they were expanded to include one's vehicle and body. However, at what point does "perceived fear" stop? Florida's SYG law uses ambiguous terms like "perceived threat."

As I wrote earlier, if you are afraid of someone or something, you don't go after the source of your fear and then claim self defense. If George Zimmerman saw Trayvon Martin walking and felt he was a danger to the community, common sense tells me he would never have followed him unless the prescription medication he was taking affected his cognitive thinking process. We each have a fight or flight response to danger. In Zimmerman's case, he had every opportunity to stay in his car or retreat. However, in Martin's case, we only know he tried to get away ("he's running") and then was killed. When "flight" didn't work, then the natural "fight" response kicked in. There is, as far as we know, no evidence showing Trayvon Martin doubled back and followed George Zimmerman to his car. After all, Martin's body was found in a grassy area behind some buildings, not near Zimmerman's car.

To answer your question, I don't think a person necessarily has to be armed to be a threat. I'm about 115 lbs and not very strong, so I certainly would want to protect myself from bodily injury or death if a man attacked me. However, if I saw a person I felt was a threat to me, I would not follow him.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't need a cop's report to tell me the killing was ultimately avoidable if gz had stayed in his car. So what ? The question is, What crime, if any, did he commit ?

I said in other posts the hoodie doesn't affect my opinion and I wasn't sure why it got so much attention. The Million Hoodie March I guess helped. It became part of the gz is a racist storyline even though he said nothing about a hoodie until asked to describe what the guy was wearing.

The idealists among you can pretend that hooded young men, black especially, don't receive extra attention in a store or by the cops. Profiling, stereotyping, racism exist.
Of course they do. So what's your point? I never said GZ was a racist, but he definitely made a judgment call based on what he felt was wrong about Trayvon Martin. It was his perception. When does perception, especially when that logic and reasoning is clouded by stress & anxiety, become reality?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:42 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
You hit it on the head. Try boarding a plane or walk to a federal building wearing the hoodie...
Are you serious? People board planes and walk into federal buildings in hoodies all the time!

Old 05-27-2012, 02:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I wore a hoodie to church today.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,844 times
I cant believe a couple thousand people jump
Up and down and this innocent man gets arrested. And for what? Volunteering to make his neaighborhood safer from burglers?

And poor sweet Traybon had stolen women's jewlery, marijuanu and burglery tools found in his school locker.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:11 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Up and down and this innocent man gets arrested. And for what? Volunteering to make his neaighborhood safer from burglers?

And poor sweet Traybon had stolen women's jewlery, marijuanu and burglery tools found in his school locker.
BS! The police couldn`t connect the jewelry to any theft and a screw driver is a screw driver,not a burglary tool.No marijuana was found in his locker but an empty bag with traces of the devil weed were. Hardly a reason for a death sentence.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:27 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Of course they do. So what's your point? I never said GZ was a racist, but he definitely made a judgment call based on what he felt was wrong about Trayvon Martin. It was his perception. When does perception, especially when that logic and reasoning is clouded by stress & anxiety, become reality?
You posed the question--- "why are so many people talking about the hoodie he was wearing or the fact that he didn't put the hood down?"

I guess that was a rhetorical question. I'll ask one too. Why was there a Million Hoodie March instead of a Million White Tennis Shoes or Million Sweatpants March ?

If you'd rather discuss the cop's conclusion that the killing was avoidable if gz had stayed in his car and and what crime, if any, gz committed, do.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post

For the umpteenth time:

George Zimmerman was not performing Neighborhood Watch duty when he KILLED Trayvon Martin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies