Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good grief, did you even listen to the transcript of GZ's initial call to the cops (where he sounds like he was on something, IMO)? Yes, you did miss something.

Paraphrasing:

Dispatcher: Are you following him?
GZ: Yes

You must work for NBC, you omitted the latter:

Dispatcher: We don't need you to do that.
GZ: OKAY

Old 05-30-2012, 08:24 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And HERE is where you get into very muddy water. You cannot prove that the prosecutor filed bogus charges in this case simply because of politics. You cannot prove that "someone" gave her instructions to file charges regardless of what she found. That is all just speculation on your part.

The fact is that the State of Florida has filed 2nd degree murder charges against Zimmerman. That, in fact, means that prosecutor believes she has evidence to prove that charge. Prosecutors get into huge trouble for filing charges against a defendant if they do not believe they have sufficient evidence to win the case. So, unless you can prove that the charges were simply politically motivated, you have to take it at face value. AFTER the trial, after you see all the evidence they State has, then it would be appropriate to say that the State didn't have enough evidence to prove the case, but still, it's a reach to try to prove that the charges were filed for political reasons alone. At this point, YOU HAVE NOT SEEN ALL OF THE STATE'S EVIDENCE. They haven't released everything yet.
The bold part indicates you know that this has happened in the past. How can you be so certain it wouldn't happen again? How many people have gotten out of jail because they used DNA after being convicted to prove innosence and in hindsight the prosecution is proven to have been motivated by political ambition? A lot of these accounts have been in the news in the last decade or so.

Last edited by Cruzincat; 05-30-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I am 61 years old. I would have to move to my toes to count the number of times I have banged my head hard enough to momentarily become disoriented without drawing blood. On some occasions I did draw blood. If someone told me I had to hit my head on an open cupboard door several more times in rapid succession or I had the choice to burn my house down in that instant, I would be asking for matches.

All the defense would have to ask potential jurors, is if they have ever bumped their heads in any manner to where they would do anything to avoid it again. Any juror who says yes would get on my jury, if I had anything to say about it.
I think Zimmerman's credibility will be tested by the State and that will help the jury to determine whether or not they believe his claim that he was in fear of losing his life or severe bodily harm, as in brain damage, etc. There's no other way to deal with his claim; it is not being taken at face value in this case at this time. I also think Zimmerman will have to testify in order to try to convince the jury he's telling the truth. That's a BIG problem for Zimmerman.

Interesting question for the jurors, but don't think it would be allowed, at least not so directly. As for your head banging, you didn't fear that you were going to die, did you? If so, you really should have medical testing done to determine whether or not there was some brain damage. Medical experts say that any time a person bangs their head so hard they lose consciousness, that there is absolutely brain damage. Witnesses say that Zimmerman was responding normally after the shooting, didn't appear to be disoriented at all. And, you know, it is possible that, even if Trayvon was on top and was holding Zimmerman down, that Zimmerman scraped his head on the sidewalk while he was moving around trying to escape. Could be that the punch to the nose either knocked Zimmerman down, or he fell down. All kinds of possibilities.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
AND, this:

Martin is NOT on trial.
In self defense cases, the victim has to be put on trial. That is a fact. Get used to it. It will be the centerpiece of GZ's case.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Did you not get that at that point he had gotten out of the vehicle, and it was clear he was following on foot? Not in his vehicle?

And no, I didn't "listen to the transcript." I have listened to the recording, and I have read the transcript, but I haven't listened to the transcript.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,515 times
So much has come out on this case, true, untrue, but it's hard to remember it all.

I do remember that the screams and cries for help on the call immediately stopped after the shot. IMMEDIATELY, within a nanosecond or less.

Then we have TM lying on the ground, face down.

GZ was said to be calm and collected, not saying much.

I can only imagine how many times prosecutors have replayed this scenario in their minds, on maps, etc...

Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBLACKGUY View Post
If a black person were to chase down a white person in a black neighbourhood, and then end his life when the white person resisted being pummelled ? Would you then be so willing to believe that the black person was violently assaulted by Zimmerman ?

• Never mind that Martin was in the community with his father, visiting friends.
  • Never mind that Martin was armed only with Skittles and iced tea, while Zimmerman carried a loaded weapon.
  • Never mind that Zimmerman, has a history of aggressive behaving.
  • Never mind that Zimmerman accosted Martin and asked him what he was doing in the neighborhood, that, according to witnesses, it was Zimmerman who pinned Martin down.
We are supposed to feel sorry for the Zimmerman because Martin might have actually fought back! Imagine that, fighting back against a total stranger who attacks you.
  • Zimmerman chased Martin down.
  • Zimmerman tackled Martin after Martin demanded to know why Zimmerman was following him.
  • Martin screamed for help.
  • Zimmerman shot him.
Even if Martin fought back, how could such a thing — a quite reasonable response, it should be noted, to being attacked by a total stranger — justify pulling a gun, pulling the trigger and shooting the person who was acting in self-defence against you?

If I chase you and jump you, and you resist my assault, and in response to your resistance I kill you, I am the bad guy. Period. End of story. No exceptions, no ifs ands or buts. It’s me. Trayvon Martin is the innocent one here. Zimmerman isn’t even a police man. He’s “neighborhood watch captain” He’s not a even security guard.

So I’m to believe that Trayvon Martin an unarmed 17 year kid who was weighing no more than 9 stone can easily over power fully grown 29 year man weighing 17 stone ?

But to you this makes perfect sense in a nation where blackness and danger have long been considered synonymous, such that any black male over the age of 10 can be assumed a predator

If Trayvon Martin had been, Todd Martin, a 17-year old white male, in the same neighborhood on the same evening, he would not have been killed.

I’d give you more respect if you just said “So what ? He’s a N***R. F**K him”

You need to re-read the case from an independent news source of some sort, and not one with an agenda who is feeding you these incorrect facts.

For starters, in regard to weight, I don't think that matters much. I'd probaby rather be TM in a fight than GZ. One on one, I think TM is going to win.

But prior to that, your facts are wrong. GZ did not pursue TM, jump on him, attack him, and then lose the fist right prompting the shooting. GZ may have followed, which he can do, but it doesn't look like he initiated a confrontation. I'll say it with some uncertainty, because the case is still under review and facts still need to be presented, but don't be so certain that GZ just ran out and knocked TM upside the head. Slow it down.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The bold part indicates you know that this has happened in the past. How can you be so certain it wouldn't happen again? How many people have gooten out of jail because they used DNA after being convicted to prove innocense and in hindsight the prosecution is proven to have been motivated by political ambition? A lot of these accounts have been in the news in the last decade or so.
What I know is that it the rule and prosecutors are supposed to adhere to it. In DNA cases where wrongdoing by the prosecutor is proven, it's called prosecutorial misconduct. Prosecutors, like all attorneys, are supposed to follow the law. If they don't, there are all kinds of possible punishments, like getting disbarred. If a prosecutor files charges in a case in which he/she does not believe they have enough evidence to convict, that is a malicious prosecution; it is not serving justice anywhere.

I don't believe,in this case, because it's such a high profile case, the this prosecutor would file without what she believed to be enough evidence to convict. She may lose this case, but I'm willing to bet that she has a lot more evidence that the public realizes at this point. Of course, time will tell, and we will see what happens if this case goes to trial/hearing.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,515 times
With the State and Feds involved, I believe the prosecutor has had a little help in deciding what to do in this case. There definitely is more evidence, and I think what's been released so far has been to moderate the tone of the entire case. So far, it's worked.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I think Zimmerman's credibility will be tested by the State and that will help the jury to determine whether or not they believe his claim that he was in fear of losing his life or severe bodily harm, as in brain damage, etc. There's no other way to deal with his claim; it is not being taken at face value in this case at this time. I also think Zimmerman will have to testify in order to try to convince the jury he's telling the truth. That's a BIG problem for Zimmerman.

Interesting question for the jurors, but don't think it would be allowed, at least not so directly. As for your head banging, you didn't fear that you were going to die, did you? If so, you really should have medical testing done to determine whether or not there was some brain damage. Medical experts say that any time a person bangs their head so hard they lose consciousness, that there is absolutely brain damage. Witnesses say that Zimmerman was responding normally after the shooting, didn't appear to be disoriented at all. And, you know, it is possible that, even if Trayvon was on top and was holding Zimmerman down, that Zimmerman scraped his head on the sidewalk while he was moving around trying to escape. Could be that the punch to the nose either knocked Zimmerman down, or he fell down. All kinds of possibilities.
So, one needs to do whatever possible to avoid losing consciousness when one's head is being banged onto the sidewalk, according to what you just stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies