Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

The stupidity is truly overwhelming. Mind boggling.
Often I have similar thoughts about certain people, but I'm not rude enough to post them.

Quote:
He will be freed, and all the Trayvoniacs spewing their guts out in this and other Tray threads will be fools. But they won't realize it because they just plain aren't that smart.
Gee, you must really have a lot emotionally invested in the outcome of this case. It's just a discussion board and my life will go on whether he's convicted or acquitted, or even if he gets immunity.
Quote:
Fun times are a'comin' for you and me.
If your happiness comes from proving others wrong and calling those who disagree with you morons and idiots, you obviously need some more hobbies.

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread.. since Zimmerman's attorney decided not to seek another bond hearing, or at least to delay one, I doubt if this case is as cut & dry as you'd like everyone to believe.

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57447462/zimmerman-team-delays-filing-new-bond-motion/]Zimmerman team delays filing new bond motion - CBS News[/url]

"George Zimmerman's defense team has delayed filing a motion for a new bond hearing, leaving the former neighborhood watch volunteer charged with killing Florida teen Trayvon Martin jailed for at least several more weeks. Mark O'Mara, Zimmerman's attorney, announced on his legal team's website Tuesday that he would put off filing a new bond motion, but offered no further explanation."

Last edited by justNancy; 06-05-2012 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
Wait and see Einstein, following you is not a provocation. It is more likely an angry young man without supervision. You know, the really telling feature of the worship Trayvon crowd with positively no allowances for z is the following. As you do in politics, global warming, all the liberal love joys you bought hook line and sinker the twelve yearoldcangelic countenance of Trayvon the anti gun lobby choirboy. Now you have your image to worship. Moron in chief Obama buys it hook and sinker as well with the my son tribute.

Do you folks ever think for yourselves. At least those of us that do not buy the probability that Trayvon was neccesarily provoked into reacting violently ,(I dont think any of you still hold out that he did not act violently,)hold outvthatvperhaps Z did place a fatherlyhand on the young mans shoulder. if Z did that I would even go so far as to concede he is not only a murderer but an ahole.

This acknowledgement does not change my position that the facts that I know indicate it was an overreaction on Trayvons part that lead to his death. We have the right to be curious and protective of our neighborhood. Didvz use good discretion if he approached, not just no but he'll no

However, what I am hearing from the pro Trayvon crowd amounts to a pitchfork and torches lynch mob that could care less about anything more than the events conjured up in their fertile imaginations.
The torches and pitchforks thing is getting a little stale, along with the other repetitive vocabulary.

So you hate liberals, the President, support the gun lobby, see Trayvon as a thug, and continue to insist that Trayvon is to blame for his own death.....and you love to make references to "fertile imaginations."

Have you ever heard of something called circumstantial evidence?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
You give prosecutors way too much credit. They're not all nearly as bright as you assume. Plenty are just as venal and ambitious as any other politician.

I do agree Zimmerman is a world-class idiot. But that doesn't mean the state has come close to the evidence needed for murder 2. Even taking *everything* the girlfriend says at face value, and even accounting for whatever conflicts/lies Zim told, the physical and eyewitness evidence is much too in Zim's favor to get beyond a reasonable doubt for murder 2. Like Dershowitz says, the elements for the offense just aren't there. Even if you assume Zimmerman started assaulting Trayvon first (a *giant* assumption based on the evidence), it didn't necessarily give Trayvon the right to use deadly force (which punching someone lying prone for a minute is). Unless there is proof Zim threatened Trayvon with a gun first I don't see a conviction here.

Bear in mind I was just making assumptions above. There's zero or scant evidence for all of the stuff I said.
Agreed there is zero or scant evidence for the things you said.
Btw, I'm not crazy about prosecutors actually. And I'm not crazy about Alan Derschowitz either. He was doing a lot of double-talking in that piece he wrote,IMO.

I don't think it's necessary for the prosecutor to give up everything they know in a probable cause affidavit. That document should reveal enough to establish probable cause and that's it. I can't imagine why any prosecutor would put their whole case in a probable cause affidavit, and if I know that, most certainly Alan Derschowitz knows that.
That said, it does really seem impulsive that Ms. Corey would have called Harvard regarding this matter and threaten to sue. Not all that smart, IMO. She would have done better to just wait until the trial is over to deal with Derschowitz.

If Ms. Corey and her office does not have the evidence to convict, then the jury will acquit Zimmerman. Again, as I'm sure you're aware, we don't know all the evidence Ms. Corey has. If she filed a minimal probable cause affidavit, why would anyone think that she would willingly turn over to the public her entire case, or run her mouth in public revealing all the evidence?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I will be here to explore the feelings of these folks when Zimmerman does not go to trial.
There are three possible ways this case can be resolved, and only three ways:

1. Immunity hearing (granted or denied)
2. A guilty plea
3 A trial

The case cannot disappear. That is completely impossible. Once a criminal case is filed, there are lots of people in the court system who are following it through the various stages to its final resolution. Stats are kept on things like how long it takes a case to move through to completion in the system. So this case WILL BE resolved in one of the above three ways.

So, what are you suggesting when you say the case won't go to trial; that it will end in a guilty plea, or that after an EXTENSIVE immunity hearing, the judge will throw out the case? In your expert legal opinion, which one is it?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:27 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Dershowitz called the affidavit criminal and I assume that's why Corey was upset.

Interesting that a liberal, Harvard Law professor is now someone whose opinions should be respected when another liberal, Harvard Law professor has been called an imbecile. Hmm..how is that possible?

I thought the "liberal mind set" is void of all reason, according to some of our posters. It's sort of like saying "The Stimulus is bad, it's wasteful..oh, and please send me $18 million of it!"

Old 06-05-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Trayvon Martin absolutely had the right to stand his ground if he felt that his life was in danger. How does that Legally affect the right of gz to use deadly force in turn ?

We know the initiator of force who ends up reasonably believing he's in danger of great bodily harm and can't retreat can use deadly force.

I'm really trying to find what other law might apply if tm 'stood his ground', was beating the heck out of gz, then gz stood his ground by using a gun.
Don't you think the issue now is whether or not Zimmerman is telling the truth when he says he was in fear for his life or great bodily harm, whether or not a jury will take his word at face value? If he will lie about money and a passport, why in the world would he NOT lie to protect himself from prosecution in this case?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Dershowitz called the affidavit criminal and I assume that's why Corey was upset.

Interesting that a liberal, Harvard Law professor is now someone whose opinions should be respected when another liberal, Harvard Law professor has been called an imbecile. Hmm..how is that possible?

I thought the "liberal mind set" is void of all reason, according to some of our posters. It's sort of like saying "The Stimulus is bad, it's wasteful..oh, and please send me $18 million of it!"
LOL Isn't it interesting.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I am pleased that any criminal that theatens any ones life for any reason, black or white is being taken out. They are useless POS who do not deserve to live. I think black posters here are just angry that blacks commit the majority of violent crimes and are now being dealt with by being shot and killed and I feel it bothers you.
What bothers me is private citizens inflicting the death penalty on anyone, as that makes them the judge, jury, and executioner. I really don't like that. "Anyone" includes everyone. Doesn't matter what race.

Who are you to determine that a person does not deserve to live? In this country, that determination has been left to a jury and a judge. If shooting people because you determine they are a POS, and the circumstances create a situation where you could shoot and kill them and claim you were in fear for you life, syg, would you do it? How many other people out there would take advantage of that law to get rid of the so-called "scum" and the "POS"? What happens when someone mistakenly decides you are the POS or "scum"?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Dershowitz is by no means a conservative. He sees the blatant political motivation of a very shallow political move. Look for this prosecutor to get involved in politics soon and or gain some book royalties.

Are you unaware that State Attorneys are elected officials in Florida?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Sounds like a clash of egos, actually. The police report that we all saw (most of us) listed Trayvon Martin's death as a homicide; did Dershowitz possibly not see that document before it was sealed? And as for incongruities, funny that the
villain to some is the Republican State's Attorney for that district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies