Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The thing is I don't have ill will towards Martin. This all started because I challenged that he was not a child.
Level playing field. On the street? No such thing.
Unfortunately, issues like this one become very emotional and there often isn't a gray area. I would need to go back and read your other posts, but many of the posters here who defend Zimmerman's actions have also expressed hatred and bigotry, even applauding the death of a 17 year old.

IMHO that's probably why it's often difficult to be neutral. It's like the abortion issue. I am pro-choice, but I also don't think a woman should have an abortion after 12 weeks. However, I can't discuss abortion at all with someone who is in the pro-life group. If I do, I'm called a baby killer or sinner. Talking about gun laws and shooting an unarmed teenager is almost as emotional, probably more for minorities, since the victim was Black. I have had my share of problems in life, and I've experienced discrimination because of my age and gender, but I don't know what it is like to be judged because of my skin color. We all know that, had Martin been White, Zimmerman wouldn't have followed him. It doesn't mean Zimmerman is a racist, only that he was focused on catching a young, Black male, and it's possible this had become an obsession. After all, he was on 2 prescriptions for attention deficit disorder and anxiety. I'm not completely normal either (who is?) but when you take a troubled person and give him a gun, it can become a deadly combination.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I agree, not sure why people are using this map to back up Zimmerman's story when it does exactly the opposite. The only reason Zimmerman would have been between those houses was to follow Trayvon Martin.
Exactly!....My post is one of the posts this map is supposed to be disputing...My point is totally made by that map. Trayvon was nearly home......I would like to see Mr. Zimmerman's home location in relation to Trayvon's on that map. Oh....that's right Zimmerman was asked to move immediately after he went on his tirade disguised as civic duty. I personally have to wonder if Zimmerman was such a great neighbor, and was doing such a favor....Why did the condo association kick him out???

Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Mindless chatter. I not only didn't post such a thing, but I didn't send money. I've never given my hard earned money to any cause and likely never will. If I had, it would certainly be none of your business, nor would it make either of you any more likely to have a clue what you're talking about.

This is proof of how folks fall for crap they read on the internet. I swear some people have the mental capacity of pebbles.

There is something interesting about this post: Nowhere in it do I mention any C-D posters, or even C-D. So
whatever made you think that I was referencing you? Since you claim that you never donated or made a post indicating that you had, why would I have thought that you were a donor? Zimmerman received roughly $250,000 in donations, and I hardly think that such an amount came from a single donor. That leaves quite a few gullible people who donated money that the Zimmermans later perjured themselves to try and hide. By putting my general post into the mix, you've outed yourself. Smooth move.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Exactly!....My post is one of the posts this map is supposed to be disputing...My point is totally made by that map. Trayvon was nearly home......I would like to see Mr. Zimmerman's home location in relation to Trayvon's on that map. Oh....that's right Zimmerman was asked to move immediately after he went on his tirade disguised as civic duty. I personally have to wonder if Zimmerman was such a great neighbor, and was doing such a favor....Why did the condo association kick him out???
Was he kicked out or did he move because his life had been threatened? As you know, I've always posted that Zimmerman needs to be held accountable for his actions. However, his life was threatened, so I believe that's why he had to go into hiding.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I agree, not sure why people are using this map to back up Zimmerman's story when it does exactly the opposite. The only reason Zimmerman would have been between those houses was to follow Trayvon Martin.
As far as I know, the evidence shows that Martin was on a path headed toward the home in which he was staying. I never read anywhere that he doubled-back except on internet boards like this one.

I also agree that Zimmerman would not be behind the homes in that grassy area unless he was following Martin. His past history proves he likes to follow and detain "suspects" for the police. He once caught a burglar and detained him until the police arrived. I'd have to search through thousands of posts on different threads, so I won't do it, but I once posted a link to an account of this incident. A neighbor said Zimmerman was beaming with pride and talked about it like a kid who won a spelling bee. He also followed someone he saw shoplifting in a supermarket until the police arrived and pursued someone in his car he claimed was driving erratically. So, based on his past actions, he probably wanted to keep an eye on Martin until the police arrived. I listened to the original 911 call posted on the Sanford Police web site and he sounded very annoyed after he lost sight of "the kid."

Old 06-14-2012, 04:57 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Was he kicked out or did he move because his life had been threatened? As you know, I've always posted that Zimmerman needs to be held accountable for his actions. However, his life was threatened, so I believe that's why he had to go into hiding.
I searched and found evidence that Zimmerman did move out because he was threatened. In searching I found the answer and a pretty good synopsis of the case on wikipedia. Shooting of Trayvon Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,024 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, issues like this one become very emotional and there often isn't a gray area. I would need to go back and read your other posts, but many of the posters here who defend Zimmerman's actions have also expressed hatred and bigotry, even applauding the death of a 17 year old.

IMHO that's probably why it's often difficult to be neutral. It's like the abortion issue. I am pro-choice, but I also don't think a woman should have an abortion after 12 weeks. However, I can't discuss abortion at all with someone who is in the pro-life group. If I do, I'm called a baby killer or sinner. Talking about gun laws and shooting an unarmed teenager is almost as emotional, probably more for minorities, since the victim was Black. I have had my share of problems in life, and I've experienced discrimination because of my age and gender, but I don't know what it is like to be judged because of my skin color. We all know that, had Martin been White, Zimmerman wouldn't have followed him. It doesn't mean Zimmerman is a racist, only that he was focused on catching a young, Black male, and it's possible this had become an obsession. After all, he was on 2 prescriptions for attention deficit disorder and anxiety. I'm not completely normal either (who is?) but when you take a troubled person and give him a gun, it can become a deadly combination.
Excellent points and post.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Zimmerman lived on the other side of the development, so he was not near the townhouse he was renting in February. I've mentioned this before, but then someone always comes along and writes that perhaps he took an alternate route when he was on his way to Target. He said that he noticed Martin when he was on his way to Target, but the area where the body was found is not the entrance/exit he would have taken. Most people use the most convenient exit, the one closest to home. So this proves that he was also following Martin while driving, which would probably make the victim even more nervous. I mean, first he follows him in his car and then he gets out of the car to search for him. Wouldn't anyone with common sense want to defend himself against this fruitcake?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Excellent points and post.
Agreed.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:

Outstanding post.... The best I have seen on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies