Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
If there was one, would you tell your young daughter ask some guy following her why or would you tell her to run?
I taught my kids not to even attempt to reason with aggressive or crazy people. Martin was a fool to ask why and expect a normal response- He should have run and not looked back- It would have saved his life- I guess we are taught that people are all reasonable...they are not...In a liberal democracy our youth are trained in the use of equality...we are not equal- Zimmerman was lowly...and dumb--if he was smart this would not have happened...........Martins mother and teachers should have taught the kid that evil and stupidity are kin...but they don't cos we are all equal.........................what a joke.

Truly street wise people maintain a certain paranoia and stay alert to crazy people that might be lurking about..If I am on the street and sense that someone is behind me- I prepare for the worst..lunatics can pass by and randomly stab you for fun...they exist. Just as Martin should have realized- that insane people are more common than perceived.

My father who used to drink in Paris during the war always said- Don't fear the big scary bully..but fear and be aware of that little non-discript little guy that will stick you with a knife....Zimmerman was that little guy except he had a gun- Martin was NOT street wise...just an arrogant young man with unwarranted confidence.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
We all assume that Martin being a young black man was street wise- His death proves that he was not. Ask the greatest marshal arts expert - the best fighter in the world what his best and most effective and powerful move is. The great ones will tell you- the best move is to disappear from the situation if you can- to run....to avoid any contract if possible...Avoidance is a skill.........You do not run head long into a brick wall like some crazy bull- you go around it or proceed in the opposite direction of the obstruction.

There was this tall crazy young man in my neighborhood...One day he lost his mind and was bound and determined to beat the crap out of me...I considered the fight and looked around for alternatives- I stepped right out into the street- into the midst of busy traffic- the crazy man actually expected me to go into the back alley as invited...well- not much you can do with all attention is brought to bare and you have a few bus loads of witnesses looking on- Yah gotta use your brain.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There was this tall crazy young man in my neighborhood...One day he lost his mind and was bound and determined to beat the crap out of me...I considered the fight and looked around for alternatives- I stepped right out into the street- into the midst of busy traffic- the crazy man actually expected me to go into the back alley as invited...well- not much you can do with all attention is brought to bare and you have a few bus loads of witnesses looking on- Yah gotta use your brain.
So, what happened after the bus(es) ran over you?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
I taught my kids not to even attempt to reason with aggressive or crazy people. Martin was a fool to ask why and expect a normal response- He should have run and not looked back- It would have saved his life- I guess we are taught that people are all reasonable...they are not...In a liberal democracy our youth are trained in the use of equality...we are not equal- Zimmerman was lowly...and dumb--if he was smart this would not have happened...........Martins mother and teachers should have taught the kid that evil and stupidity are kin...but they don't cos we are all equal.........................what a joke.
This is true, but in retrospect I would not have lead him to my house either especially when there were no adults in the house

Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,801 times
Quote:

Truly street wise people maintain a certain paranoia and stay alert to crazy people that might be lurking about..If I am on the street and sense that someone is behind me- I prepare for the worst..lunatics can pass by and randomly stab you for fun...they exist. Just as Martin should have realized- that insane people are more common than perceived.

My father who used to drink in Paris during the war always said- Don't fear the big scary bully..but fear and be aware of that little non-discript little guy that will stick you with a knife....Zimmerman was that little guy except he had a gun- Martin was NOT street wise...just an arrogant young man with unwarranted confidence.
I agree with your assertions, except I don't think Martin was arrogant or confident. I think he was very scared, and in the end was screaming for help as the armed nutball Zimmerman tried to "detain" him.

The 911 calls picked up the screams, and there are two audio experts on the state's witness list who have already said the cries came from Martin. When the jury hears those cries it will be all over for Zimmerman and his absurd "self-defense" claim.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:

I think a big probelm is that many of you think that running away would have been a better choice which I disagree in this case because he would have lead him to his house. Some of you would have stopped to ask why was he following you, which I believe he did. The probelm is that no one knew what that conversation consisted of except a known liar. If he had politely asked Trayvon where was he going I doubt very seriously if any of this would have happened, but if he had came at him with arrogance and or racial remarks .....welll

Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
What the last few posters have eluded to is called "Situational Awareness". Some people have it, others don't. Law enforcement is taught it and it is ingrained into their thought process forever. Treyvon Martin was still formative and did not have it. Situational Awareness is sometimes called, "Street Smarts".
You can always tell a cop or ex-cop because they are always acutely aware of their environment and it shows.
People who walk around with ear buds and Ipods are prey. They have none.
People who walk/drive and text have none.
People who think all mankind are inherently good are delusional. There are evil/sick people in the world who have their own agenda that one can never know or understand.
The difference between prey and predator is that the predator always has the upper hand because he knows what his next move is and when he will strike.
One must develop an acute sense of their surroundings and stay aware at all times to predator attacks.

After 625 pages of posts concerning the Martin incident, what would be the consensus of the majority here?
Was Treyvon Martin predator or prey? Who initiated the contact? Who, of the two, had a well thought out agenda?
I say that in this case Treyvon Martin was the prey and Zimmerman was the predator.
When prey become aware they are cornered by a predator they will turn around and fight, no matter what the odds.
I watched a desert mouse turn around and bare it's teeth and stand it's ground when there was nowhere else for it to run and my cat had cornered it in the garden shed.
Of course when the lion is bringing down the Zebra, the Zebra will kick hard in one last attempt to dislodge the lion from it's throat as did Treyvon in a futile attempt to fight off his predator, but in both cases all to no avail.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
To me all the speculation about what Trayvon Martin should have done is irrelevant since he is not the person on trial. He cannot be cross-examined.

By the way, in the transcripts of the calls between GZ and his wife released today, he talks about wearing his hoodie.

Sorry to laugh, but I think it's ironic, don't you?

Oh, I wonder what he meant by

"I know," he replies. "Um, my dad's really confident about everything. I don't know what was said in that meeting, but my dad seemed very, very confident."

What meeting?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
I agree with your assertions, except I don't think Martin was arrogant or confident. I think he was very scared, and in the end was screaming for help as the armed nutball Zimmerman tried to "detain" him.

The 911 calls picked up the screams, and there are two audio experts on the state's witness list who have already said the cries came from Martin. When the jury hears those cries it will be all over for Zimmerman and his absurd "self-defense" claim.
The FBI analyzed the tape for the state and couldn't determine who yelled for help. TM's father said it wasn't his voice.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
If there was one, would you tell your young daughter ask some guy following her why or would you tell her to run?
I guess it's completely escaped you that he was mere feet from his father's girlfriend's apartment.

No surprise, there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post

Do try to keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies