Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Though off-topic --- Maybe your neighbor was thinking of places like Detroit, Watts, Newark, and other cities where most people recall 'riots,' not peaceful rallies or protests for justice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>> And some look at a riot today as a protest for justice. And there were both civil rights protest marches AND riots back then.
I guess my point was missed. What would race riots from the 60s have to do with the 2008 Presidential election? Anyway, the rallies held in support of justice for the Martin family were peaceful, but I've seen several comments referring to them as the Sanford Riots.

Oh, by the way, guess where this news story came from?

"Blood in our streets. I saw people on the ground, bleeding. Shattered glass everywhere. Police cars set alight. Major bridges are now closed, preventing public access into the downtown core. Transit is plugged up, there’s no way out. More police and fire crews are arriving, from the suburbs, but again, it seems too late."

It's about riots after a hockey game in Vancouver. They all look like White people to me.

How about this story?

"The throngs of screaming, cheering fans took to the streets both on and off campus following the Wildcats' 69-61 win in New Orleans. Many streets had already been blocked off around Kentucky's Lexington campus to make way for the crowds, but sirens blared and police began shutting down more streets as the blazes broke out."

Guess they're only harmless college kids having some fun!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:45 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I guess my point was missed. What would race riots from the 60s have to do with the 2008 Presidential election? Anyway, the rallies held in support of justice for the Martin family were peaceful, but I've seen several comments referring to them as the Sanford Riots.
I've always found the wild-eyed fear of black people rioting to be rather telling. When you look at the overwhelming majority of race-related riots, you find that it's usually been white people rioting at the prospect of a black person moving into the neighborhood, or attending a school, or some such. This is true both in the south, and in many northern cities such as Detroit, Chicago, or NYC.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:13 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
That silly attorney, Crump, was just on Jeanine Pirrot's Dog and Pony Show.

He mangled it.

At one point, after that equally silly Jeanine said something, Crump's response was, "you hit the camel on the nail."

LMAO.

Hit the camel on the nail.

Whatever.....

Old 04-21-2012, 07:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That silly attorney, Crump, was just on Jeanine Pirrot's Dog and Pony Show.

He mangled it.

At one point, after that equally silly Jeanine said something, Crump's response was, "you hit the camel on the nail."

LMAO.

Hit the camel on the nail.

Whatever.....
Of the 3 attorneys, I think Crump is the poorest when it comes to expressing himself well. However, he's the person who moved this case forward.

Are you sure he didn't say "coffin?"

Old 04-21-2012, 08:07 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
One shot. Forever changed.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:24 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Of the 3 attorneys, I think Crump is the poorest when it comes to expressing himself well. However, he's the person who moved this case forward.

Are you sure he didn't say "coffin?"
It sounded like 'camel' to me, but even if it were 'coffin', well....equally ridiculous. And quite the faux pas.

Both Crump and Zimm's atty have trouble expressing themselves. Zimm's atty has some kind of mild speech impediment.

It's gonna be one hell of a ride watching this thing unfold. A laugh a minute, probably.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Zimm's atty has some kind of mild speech impediment..
I noticed this as well...his speech pattern is that of some deaf people I know who use hearing aids. He may have suffered deafness at a young age and may now have hearing aids. At the press conference after the hearing, a reporter was asking a question and Mr. O'Mara said, "I didn't hear you, your mouth was covered." Even though he may have hearing aids, he probably still reads lips.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:

It's gonna be one hell of a ride watching this thing unfold. A laugh a minute, probably.
I don't know. Maybe I'm weird but I don't see much funny about a dead kid and grieving parents.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
When your father's a magistrate judge, you don't have a record...until you do something incredibly stupid, like killing an unarmed teen.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I don't know. Maybe I'm weird but I don't see much funny about a dead kid and grieving parents.
You're not weird...DC is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies