Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 11:23 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,404,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'll try again to be clearer. I'm not talking about the Effects of thc or demonizing tm for smoking.

IMO, part of the case will be about gz's 911 call and seeing a suspicious guy, like he was on drugs or something vs the profiling. IMO, the thc, lighter, and Possibly the 7-11 visit will fit with the defense approach to that issue.

Also possibly to why tm ran. Was he afraid of the stranger watching and following him or was he running to hide something. Was he po'd that some idiot disrupted smoke time.

IMO, O'Mara can't allow the only image of tm be the non-violent kid who prays, babysits, washes cars for friends, a 'momma's boy.' It won't be easy to get another portrait of tm without 'smearing the victim,' but he'll walk the tightrope.
I would guess you are being sarcastic in your last paragraph when you say "kid who prays" etc.,etc. I don't think the state is going to try to paint that kind of portrait of TM at all. IMO they will make him a "realistic" teen, minor problems at school so sent to stay with father for awhile, etc. which will also show him as not aggressive and no record of violence but also not a "saint." Of course, whether or not the friend on the phone with him at the time the incident occurred will be called, and if so, holds up under cross examination, will be important. Seems to me that O'Mara would want to stick with gz being afraid for his life at the moment of the struggle, not being afraid because of some prior action by TM. After all, gz did get out of the truck and did scout around for an address AFTER he had reported seeing TM to police. Would he have done that if what he had seen of TM prior to that time were really so frightening to him, which seems to me would be a question in the minds of jurors. For the defense, IMO, the less attention on TM, the better.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,404,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
But considering ALL the events per Zimmerman, Martin circled Z's car and caused him to be afraid. Why would he do that if he was afraid of getting caught smoking or was being interrupted. I will be surprised if the defense has Zimmerman testify, so I am not sure how his statements will come into evidence without being hearsay.

We'll just have to disagree that the thc is going to be an issue. I think it will be a double-edged sword for the defense to attempt to make Martin the villian because of that, there's no evidence Martin was violent because of it--quite the contrary. If the fight club videos are true, they'd get more mileage out of that than the thc, but I'm not sure those will come in either. I don't think anyone will disagree that Martin knew how to kick someone's rear end, so I don't think the defense will need to attempt to smear the victim because the facts speak for themself. But the police hold Zimmerman responsible because, but for his actions, the shooting was avoidable, and the Judge will decide before trial what can come in and what can't.

If the 911 call gets in, it will go to Z's state of mind. I just don't see it the way you do.
Good point that if TM was smoking pot and was afraid or angry about someone interrupting him or catching him, WHY would he, as Zimmerman said, circle Zimmerman's car?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,919,912 times
I don't know too much about guns, so today I asked someone who originally supported Zimmerman's story about carrying a 9mm Kel Tec in a holster. He has several guns and, although he doesn't carry them to go to the store or out to a restaurant, he does know about weapons. In fact, he worked for the prison system for several years. I told him that Zimmerman made a comment while being interviewed that he forgot he even had a gun, and my friend chuckled. He said "Nobody forgets he is wearing a gun. Nobody."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Good point that if TM was smoking pot and was afraid or angry about someone interrupting him or catching him, WHY would he, as Zimmerman said, circle Zimmerman's car?
I can think of one reason. We have no idea what went on BEFORE he called 911. Maybe he saw Trayvon Martin walking and shouted imprecations from his vehicle as he did when he was chasing the man he said was driving erratically. However, I think Martin would have chosen to steer clear of Zimmerman. After all, Martin wasn't armed so he had no reason to act brave in the face of danger.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,919,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I would guess you are being sarcastic in your last paragraph when you say "kid who prays" etc.,etc. I don't think the state is going to try to paint that kind of portrait of TM at all. IMO they will make him a "realistic" teen, minor problems at school so sent to stay with father for awhile, etc. which will also show him as not aggressive and no record of violence but also not a "saint."
I grew up in a mostly White suburb of Boston, not Miami Gardens, but I still got into my share of trouble. I "ran away" when I was 15 and again at 16. Back then, nobody talked about child abuse so, of course, there had to be something wrong with me. Right. Anyway, 45 years ago this 61 year old lady smoked pot, took a few trips on LSD and hitchhiked around the country. I didn't end up living with the Manson Family, but went back to school, graduated, and then earned a BA from UMass Boston in Psychology and Sociology. Thank goodness nobody shot me.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,247,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I grew up in a mostly White suburb of Boston, not Miami Gardens, but I still got into my share of trouble. I "ran away" when I was 15 and again at 16. Back then, nobody talked about child abuse so, of course, there had to be something wrong with me. Right. Anyway, 45 years ago this 61 year old lady smoked pot, took a few trips on LSD and hitchhiked around the country. I didn't end up living with the Manson Family, but went back to school, graduated, and then earned a BA from UMass Boston in Psychology and Sociology. Thank goodness nobody shot me.
No kidding.

While I never ran away, I, too, had my share of youthful transgressions.

Sad how people think that being a teenage boy with a small amount of THC in his system, and who had a few discipline problems in school, somehow justifies the careless actions of one lunatic with a gun.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,947,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't know too much about guns, so today I asked someone who originally supported Zimmerman's story about carrying a 9mm Kel Tec in a holster. He has several guns and, although he doesn't carry them to go to the store or out to a restaurant, he does know about weapons. In fact, he worked for the prison system for several years. I told him that Zimmerman made a comment while being interviewed that he forgot he even had a gun, and my friend chuckled. He said "Nobody forgets he is wearing a gun. Nobody."

I can think of one reason. We have no idea what went on BEFORE he called 911. Maybe he saw Trayvon Martin walking and shouted imprecations from his vehicle as he did when he was chasing the man he said was driving erratically. However, I think Martin would have chosen to steer clear of Zimmerman. After all, Martin wasn't armed so he had no reason to act brave in the face of danger.
Some people are truly reaching to justify Trayvon Martin's death. He hhad no reason to act brave in the face of danger. IMO George Zimmerman was so obsessed with being a hero that he created danger in his mind that was non existent in reality.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,397,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Comprehension problems?

Go back and read. I'm the one using the word. Someone else was crabbing about me using the word.

My God!
Sorry, smarty, I typed that one wrong. I thought it ironic that You would be the one using it, since it appears to be second nature to you. Pompous and full of yourself are probably more apt descriptions.

You serve the purpose of a monkey wrench thrown into discussions, nothing more.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Good ol' Saul.

Fail. Saul is the darling of the left.
You have limited sources and thinking. Even Newt was a big fan of his methods, and deployed them well. Many Republicans and Dems use the method, because it works. You appear to be a student of Saul as well, you use his methods constantly.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I was just trying to assist you in the expansion of your vocabulary!
You were sounding like a broken record, and you won't win friends and influence people sounding like that!
I think I'll take my own advice before this thread gets derailed any further. Saul's methods sucked us into responding to him. Time to stop.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,312,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'll try again to be clearer. I'm not talking about the Effects of thc or demonizing tm for smoking.

IMO, part of the case will be about gz's 911 call and seeing a suspicious guy, like he was on drugs or something vs the profiling. IMO, the thc, lighter, and Possibly the 7-11 visit will fit with the defense approach to that issue.

Also possibly to why tm ran. Was he afraid of the stranger watching and following him or was he running to hide something. Was he po'd that some idiot disrupted smoke time.

IMO, O'Mara can't allow the only image of tm be the non-violent kid who prays, babysits, washes cars for friends, a 'momma's boy.' It won't be easy to get another portrait of tm without 'smearing the victim,' but he'll walk the tightrope.

Quick question, why are you still harping on the cannabis? The Tox report stated that he had a small amount in his system thus meaning that he did not smoke that night, nor did he have any paraphelia on or around him. He ran because some jackass was following him in a place that hewas not familair with. So what is the freaking probelm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.