Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM

190 posts, read 301,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Overtown IS a part of the City of Miami. There's also that shelter for the homeless on 2nd (and about 14th), running two blocks behind and parallel to Biscayne Blvd. Then not that far away from that location you have the upscale neighborhood on Biscayne Bay where one of the BeeGees lived. People who live in downtown Miami are not unaware of the poverty within the city. At the same time, there are really beautiful areas within downtown Miami, along with the poverty and high crime areas.

Trayvon's purpose around a "white neighborhood" was living with his father temporarily. I'm guessing that you've never been to the neighborhoods in Miami about which you are complaining. Let's talk about who is "pretending" here.

If course there are nice areas in Miami, there are nice affluent areas in Detroit lol

I just posted the crime stats for Miami. Did you see?

Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
If course there are nice areas in Miami, there are nice affluent areas in Detroit lol

I just posted the crime stats for Miami. Did you see?
So, you've never been to Miami. Yes, I saw your crime stats. I've also seen almost/basically the same post in re crime stats by someone using a different user name, but so similar as to almost come from the same mind.

Obviously you're basing your opinion of Trayvon on crime stats from Miami, without having been there, or lived there, and seem to believe that because he was a black kid from Miami he was a bad kid, and I guess for you that means he deserved to die. As for your crime statistics, I've visited and worked in Miami many times and have not been the victim of crime there.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
To Recap:

Martin first notices Zimmerman following him while Zimmerman is still in his vehicle.

Martin approaches Zimmerman's vehicle and Zimmerman does nothing to identify himself or his reason for following Martin.

Martin's reaction to Zimmerman is fear and anxiety, enough so that according to both Zimmerman and Martin's girlfriend, Martin decides to run away from a possible confrontation.

Zimmerman, after having fulfilled his responsibility as a citizen and a member of the community watch by apprising police of "suspicious" activity by Martin, refuses the police request to meet them at a designated and instead gives chase after Martin who in fear is trying to run away. In giving chase, Zimmerman makes it quite clear that he is both hostile and in a confrontational state of mind to police dispatchers in stating, "These *******s always get away".

While running after Martin, Zimmerman is told to stop pursuing Martin. Whether he did or didn't is a point of contention but either way seconds after that exchange. Martin VERBALLY confronts Zimmerman to which Zimmerman instead of trying to alleviate Martins obvious fear, instead replies in a confrontational manner.

That is not indicative of a person "merely" following someone, Zimmerman's actions were those of someone looking for a fight and got one. Under the Florida statute which I have posted more times than I care to recount, if you go looking for a fight and find one, you cannot claim defense under "stand your ground" unless you do everything including kissing the ass of the person beating yours.

Any questions?
This is worth repeating......

Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
ahhhh, so someone who has/had charges against them is still a criminal to you? I consider a criminal by their actions and by their conviction record, not by the charges. if that was the case, then alot of people would be criminals.
Well, there are plenty here (maybe yourself included - I'd have to go back and read all your posts) who ASSume that Trayvon was up to no good simply because he was walking through a neighborhood wearing a hoodie.

Or does "innocent until proven guilty" only apply to the guy with the gun?

Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, there are plenty here (maybe yourself included - I'd have to go back and read all your posts) who ASSume that Trayvon was up to no good simply because he was walking through a neighborhood wearing a hoodie.

Or does "innocent until proven guilty" only apply to the guy with the gun?

nope, trayvon was not a criminal until he started beating on george. if he would have just kept walking, then george would have just kept following him and trayvon would still be alive.

once he started beating ggeorges head into the ground, he became nothing but a dead body lying on the groud bleeding his life out.

innocent until proven guilty is for everyone not in the commision of a crime. it is for those in court. as soon as trayvon started beating on georges head, he lost his chance to prove himself innocent as he was too busy taking bullets into his chest.

better to let 10 guilty go free than to put 1 innocent in jail.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
To Recap:

Martin first notices Zimmerman following him while Zimmerman is still in his vehicle.

Martin approaches Zimmerman's vehicle and Zimmerman does nothing to identify himself or his reason for following Martin.

Martin's reaction to Zimmerman is fear and anxiety, enough so that according to both Zimmerman and Martin's girlfriend, Martin decides to run away from a possible confrontation.

Zimmerman, after having fulfilled his responsibility as a citizen and a member of the community watch by apprising police of "suspicious" activity by Martin, refuses the police request to meet them at a designated and instead gives chase after Martin who in fear is trying to run away. In giving chase, Zimmerman makes it quite clear that he is both hostile and in a confrontational state of mind to police dispatchers in stating, "These *******s always get away".

While running after Martin, Zimmerman is told to stop pursuing Martin. Whether he did or didn't is a point of contention but either way seconds after that exchange. Martin VERBALLY confronts Zimmerman to which Zimmerman instead of trying to alleviate Martins obvious fear, instead replies in a confrontational manner.

That is not indicative of a person "merely" following someone, Zimmerman's actions were those of someone looking for a fight and got one. Under the Florida statute which I have posted more times than I care to recount, if you go looking for a fight and find one, you cannot claim defense under "stand your ground" unless you do everything including kissing the ass of the person beating yours.

Any questions?

following a person is not "looking for a fight".

Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
If there is any justice in this world He will be held accountable for his actions that left Trayvon Martin dead on the sidewalk.
The justice portion will be served up in a trial, who's outcome is uncertain.
Some more reflections on the evidence:

TM was found dead, lying face down in the grass, his hands underneath him.

When found, Trayvon was lying approximately 4-6 feet from the sidewalk. The shell casing is found near that location, also several feet from the sidewalk.

Also in the same region, was found GZ's Honda key remote, and a black flashlight, which had blood on it.

Zimmerman had a cut or laceration on the back of his head, fairly high up on his head. It appeared to be a single cut, with some smaller scrapes in the same region.

Subjective thoughts: (totally opinion)

Cries for Help heard on the phone recording and at the scene.

The cries for help are those that you'd expect to be from someone in imminent danger, fearing for their life.

These cries are obviously not from someone being "Smothered", or from someone "about to lose consciousness"
They are also inconsistent with the ability of someone that is having his head slammed repeatedly into the sidewalk.

Zimmerman was in police custody minutes after the shooting. When he arrived at the police station, he looked like he had just come back from a quiet dinner. Neat, shirt tucked in, not in disarray at all. Just observations, not a condemnation.

I'm still somewhat puzzled by the Zimmerman remarks that he was punched in the nose, fell to the ground, and then TM held his nose and mouth with both hands. Zimmerman's justification for ultimately straddling TM's lifeless body was that he was getting hit in the face and head so much, he felt like TM might have had a weapon. The entire fight took place over a span of a minute or so, and the head-slamming, punching, smothering do not seem to be consistent with either the facts of the crime scene, nor when compared against Zimmerman's own statements.

I would be more comfortable with a statement that while GZ scraped his head on the concrete briefly, He eventually rolled over as the two tussled. I believe there was one witness that (initially), stated GZ got up off of Trayvon immediately after the shot. Just throwing it out there.

One thing surprising to police and crime examiners is this. Neither Zimmerman nor Trayvon had indications on their bodies that they were engaged in a viscous fight that was deemed life-threatening. Trayvon had a small abrasion on his left hand fourth finger, hardly consistent with someone throwing many blows to someone's face or head.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
following a person is not "looking for a fight".
Unless the person doing the following is an armed wannabe vigilante.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:35 AM

190 posts, read 301,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
So, you've never been to Miami. Yes, I saw your crime stats. I've also seen almost/basically the same post in re crime stats by someone using a different user name, but so similar as to almost come from the same mind.

Obviously you're basing your opinion of Trayvon on crime stats from Miami, without having been there, or lived there, and seem to believe that because he was a black kid from Miami he was a bad kid, and I guess for you that means he deserved to die. As for your crime statistics, I've visited and worked in Miami many times and have not been the victim of crime there.
I know people who never wear seat belts and are still alive. Does it prove they are unnecessary? Lol. Crime stats for Miami prove it is a dangerous hell hole.
Florida as the rest of this country is infested with black crime. Gz shot a black perp who was trying to kill him.
I hope there's is more gz's so we have less crime in Florida and more nice white areas like Brickell. Thats why we carry weapons in Florida. Got it?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Unless the person doing the following is an armed wannabe vigilante.

like the BATF?

a vigilante is someone who is someone who planned ahead to judge jury and executioner ahead of time. following someone is not a vigilante. guess you would not be feeling the same way if george was following trayvon and not carrying and died in the process of getting his head beat in. then trayvon would have been looking at the possibility of having the death penalty instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies