Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM

867 posts, read 498,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Damn, you need a change in presidents just to find a job? That's pretty sad. Man, if he wins again in November, you'll have to go another 4 years without work. (me playing a large violin)
Just exaclty where did the poster say he didn't have a job, or, should we just say STRAWMAN and leave it at that.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Exactly. Tax cuts for those paying more than their fair share (the "rich") and tax raises for those not (the 47%).
So, do away with the progressive tax system we have, that let's the poorest of the poor off the hook, and replace it with a regressive system that widens the gap between the rich and poor.

How about we have those corporations that pay no tax, AND MAKE BILLIONS, start paying taxes instead of hiding behind loopholes?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Just curious, what is the history of this pattern? How long have the bottom 47% been paying not taxes? Anyone have a historical tax rate for the lower income earners?

Personally, I think everyone should have skin in the game.
There have always been some tax files who paid no income tax - usually kids working summer jobs etc., but the perctage keeps rising, along with the amount of income these non-paying filers (dare I say parasite, yes, I dare) make, keeps going up.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
There have always been some tax files who paid no income tax - usually kids working summer jobs etc., but the perctage keeps rising, along with the amount of income these non-paying filers (dare I say parasite, yes, I dare) make, keeps going up.

I am a SO offended...

No, I also hate parasites and layabouts. Even a little bit of taxes give them a say. It is just not right to pay NOTHING, except in the most extreme cases. There is no way that applies to 47% of the people. Sounds like a dumb tax policy. Again, who set it and when?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am a SO offended...

No, I also hate parasites and layabouts. Even a little bit of taxes give them a say. It is just not right to pay NOTHING, except in the most extreme cases. There is no way that applies to 47% of the people. Sounds like a dumb tax policy. Again, who set it and when?
It is a matter of law, passed over the decades. Earned Income Tax Credit.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 AM

154 posts, read 524,669 times
Here are some more stats and the article they came from (in particular: The top 10% of earners pay 70% of the federal taxes). The 47% number is effective tax rate, so there are probably quite a few more that pay taxes that are offset. The more telling number of the fact that a small percentage of earners pay the majority of federal taxes.

I don't know if these are correct but I think a pressing issue is sustainability of our government in general. You could argue that the Federal Government is insolvent. Part of that is budgetary and spending inefficiencies, lack of spending controls and oversight, unsustainable benefits, disproportionate tax burdens on individuals and corporations, ...

Sometimes I wonder if we would be better off with a uniform and flat sales tax in lieu of income tax. I can't help but think that we are in for some tough times - tougher than they are now.

• 47% of TAX FILERS pay no taxes.
  • 57% of FILERS receive federal benefits.
  • The top 10% of earners pay 70% of the federal taxes
  • The Congressional Budget Office said Thursday that 45 million people in 2011 received Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, a 70% increase from 2007. It said the number of people receiving the benefits, commonly known as food stamps, would continue growing until 2014. Spending for the program, not including administrative costs, rose to $72 billion in 2011, up from $30 billion four years earlier. The CBO projected that one in seven U.S. residents received food stamps last year.
Social Security Disability Increased by 5.4 Million Under Obama | Independent Sentinel

Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctecchie View Post
Here are some more stats and the article they came from (in particular: The top 10% of earners pay 70% of the federal taxes). I don't know if these are correct but I think a pressing issue is sustainability of our government in general. You could argue that the Federal Government is insolvent. Part of that is budgetary and spending inefficiencies, lack of spending controls and oversight, unsustainable benefits, disproportionate tax burdens on individuals and corporations, ...

Sometimes I wonder if we would be better off with a uniform and flat sales tax in lieu of income tax. I can't help but think that we are in for some tough times - tougher than they are now.

• 47% of TAX FILERS pay no taxes.
  • 57% of FILERS receive federal benefits.
  • The top 10% of earners pay 70% of the federal taxes
  • The Congressional Budget Office said Thursday that 45 million people in 2011 received Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, a 70% increase from 2007. It said the number of people receiving the benefits, commonly known as food stamps, would continue growing until 2014. Spending for the program, not including administrative costs, rose to $72 billion in 2011, up from $30 billion four years earlier. The CBO projected that one in seven U.S. residents received food stamps last year.
Social Security Disability Increased by 5.4 Million Under Obama | Independent Sentinel
As dependency on government grows, freedom shrinks - and now you know the rest of the story.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Which ones out of that 47% do you want to pay more taxes (EVERYONE PAYS ALL SORTS of very real TAXES, RICA, STATE, LOCAL, SALES, GAS TAX, ETC?

Grandma and grandpa living on their tiny SS pension???

The disabled living on their too small SSI check?

Those college students, working odd menial jobs to support themselves while they get an education???

That single mom, hubby ran off and won't pay child support, living off welfare and food stamps???

That Walmart clerk working full time for minimum wage to feed her family???

Are these the people you pathetic wingnuts are now attacking? That bigoted angry old white man base of yours is getting smaller every day, you need to stop attaching everyone or no amount of Koch and Rove money will help you.
The TOPIC is FEDERAL INCOME TAX

Since 1984 people have had the opportunity to start an IRA. I have very little compassion for people who rely solely on SS.

SSI is a different story.

Do you have stats for the single mom's?

What has the Wal-Mart clerk done to improve their work opportunity?

"That bigoted angry old white man base" And you have the nerve to talk about
attaching (attacking)

Koch, etc, just more jealous biased rant.

I notice you don'r mention any rich dems. Hmm!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Yep, I'm pissed that many of the wealthiest corporations in America are paying zero federal income tax. It is disgusting. Oh, but let's tax welfare, food stamps, social security, unemployment and minimum wage paychecks so some wingnuts can sleep at night.
I think most American's are pissed as well. Why do you assume that most Americans want corporations to pay zero federal income taxes?

EVERYONE should pay FIT, rich and poor alike. Do you disagree?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctecchie;24093120
[LIST
[*]47% of TAX FILERS pay no taxes.[*]57% of FILERS receive federal benefits.[*]The top 10% of earners pay 70% of the federal taxes[*]The Congressional Budget Office said Thursday that 45 million people in 2011 received Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, a 70% increase from 2007. It said the number of people receiving the benefits, commonly known as food stamps, would continue growing until 2014. Spending for the program, not including administrative costs, rose to $72 billion in 2011, up from $30 billion four years earlier. The CBO projected that one in seven U.S. residents received food stamps last year.[/list]Social Security Disability Increased by 5.4 Million Under Obama | Independent Sentinel
First, I note how you say "47% of TAX FILERS pay no taxes," as a proxy for "income taxes." Those 47% still pay payroll taxes as well as local taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies