Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,108,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
100% of all Americans pay no federal income tax on the first few thousands of dollars they earn. These first few thousands of dollars are needed for basic survival to live. So in fact it is fair.
That's really your argument?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,198,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I think Buzzard's point was that you seem annoyed that 47% pay no federal income taxes. Who are those 47%? Many are the working poor; the elderly and the disabled. These are the people you want to squeeze when hedge fund managers pay 15% on billions in income?
Thanks, I was off making money and wasn't keeping up with these nonsense "we need to tax the poor's meager income more" posts....

Gotta luv how the wingnuts are turning the class welfare theme on its head. 'let's go after the working poor for more taxes' because them lazy slobs are grumbling about the mega corporations that are making billions and not paying any taxes. I guess they are gearing up for the outrage mittens' next tax return dump is going to cause.

Last edited by buzzards27; 04-30-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 02:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,793,734 times

Raise Taxes On The Poor - Eric Cantor - YouTube

Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,198,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Extremely valid point, actually rep'ed the post. EVERYONE gets the exact same tax benefits as the working poor, you, me, everyone doesn't pay taxes on the lower end of the income we all earn. The poor aren't getting something we all aren't getting, too.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,515,499 times
Quote:
Yes, that's the justification for progressive taxes. The first $20k are not taxed because you need that to survive. The next $20k is also essential, but not as much, so it's only taxed a little. And so on.

Surely you are familiar with the concept of margial utility of income, which holds that raising the income of poor people or poor countries will raise their well-being considerably, while an increase of equal amount for the rich will have comparatively little effect.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM

867 posts, read 497,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Thanks, I was off making money and wasn't keeping up with these nonsense "we need to tax the poor's meager income more" posts....

Gotta luv how the wingnuts are turning the class welfare theme on its head. 'let's go after the working poor for more taxes' because them lazy slobs are grumbling about the mega corporations that are making billions and not paying any taxes. I guess they are gearing up for the outrage mittens' next tax return dump is going to cause.
It is not about the revenue, per se, it is that they have skin in the game, that they have to be subject to the laws they support, not just others.

Think of it as:

"No representation without taxation" or "No payee, no votee".

Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,800,296 times
Quote:
That is an excellent point, more than just an argument.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 PM

417 posts, read 365,479 times
Quote:

Unless you can prove to me otherwise that 100% of Americans in fact do NOT pay federal income tax on their first few thousands of dollars. Rich and poor alike, we all pay 0% federal income tax on the first few thousands we earn.

So in the argument of FAIRNESS, your whole thread was just shot to ****.

Btw, I'm a conservative and republican leaning voter, and I would never advocate raising taxes on the poor or making them pay more in taxes.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,934,256 times
Millionaires who owe no federal income tax - May. 9, 2011

The majority are people making under 50k. Why they don't pay is going to vary but they are in the majority.

BTW I cannot control the link name so this is not calling out Millionaires.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:01 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,108,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Extremely valid point, actually rep'ed the post. EVERYONE gets the exact same tax benefits as the working poor, you, me, everyone doesn't pay taxes on the lower end of the income we all earn. The poor aren't getting something we all aren't getting, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Yes, that's the justification for progressive taxes. The first $20k are not taxed because you need that to survive. The next $20k is also essential, but not as much, so it's only taxed a little. And so on.

Surely you are familiar with the concept of margial utility of income, which holds that raising the income of poor people or poor countries will raise their well-being considerably, while an increase of equal amount for the rich will have comparatively little effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That is an excellent point, more than just an argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Unless you can prove to me otherwise that 100% of Americans in fact do NOT pay federal income tax on their first few thousands of dollars. Rich and poor alike, we all pay 0% federal income tax on the first few thousands we earn.

So in the argument of FAIRNESS, your whole thread was just shot to ****.

Btw, I'm a conservative and republican leaning voter, and I would never advocate raising taxes on the poor or making them pay more in taxes.
It's still a moot point guys. This is a strawman argument and a half!

Most people aren't advocating for changing the tax structure to tax those relatively few dollars. The progressive tax system kicks in, forcing everyone to pay FIT, as it was designed to do. What needs to change is the deductions and credits that absolve the tax burden of these people. They need to have skin the game, just like everyone else. That's the point. All this blather about "Unless you can prove to me otherwise that 100% of Americans in fact do NOT pay federal income tax on their first few thousands of dollars" is 100% irrelevant. That's why I asked you if this "really" was your argument. No one is making this argument anywhere. Strawman indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.