Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
You misspelled "bored"
I see you've not given up your desire to assume and speak for others, even when put in a corner. Do you really want to do more of that? I must admit, its kinda boring otherwise.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:40 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
It wold result in great desolation as the rich took their marbles elsewhere.That is one thing you people don't understand. Change the rules and the players change the way they play. Unlike some people, their feet are not made of clay.
To buy into is requires a degree of historical ignorance. I mean, this argument might have some surface plausibility if the era when America didn’t have such an overweening plutocracy -- the 50s and 60s, when the top 0.01% received only about a fifth the share of income that it commands today -- were a time of economic stagnation and low innovation. In fact, the postwar generation experienced the best economic growth -- and the fastest productivity growth -- of any era in the past century -- in a time when the top tax-rates were 91%, which is where it stays till the Kennedy years, during which it drops to a slightly lower 70%.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
lol. The Fair Tax. That right there is a crock of ****.

First and foremost, you're forgetting the poverty prebate. Everybody gets a monthly probate to keep them at poverty level. Anything else is supplementary income. That's welfare on steroids.

And the Fair Tax, prebate and all, is just another flat-tax. And flat-taxes are by design regressive tax structures. They hurt people with lower incomes more than they hurt people with higher incomes. Any and all flat-taxes operate that way, including sales taxes. The value of a dollar is greater to low-income person than to high-income persons.

The progressive tax system we have in place is the most fair tax plan we have. Let's strip out the loopholes for it, yeah? That's how we all got into this mess to begin with.
No the prebate is for those people at or below the poverty level so those people who need every bit of income to buy food can do so. The prebate does not keep them at poverty level, their jobs would do that.The prebate allows them not to pay tax on food. since income is not taxed it is clearly not a flat tax. And since everyone can keep 100% of their income it allows each person to decide what goods they wish to buy

Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
No the prebate is for those people at or below the poverty level so those people who need every bit of income to buy food can do so.
What about people who are barely above that poverty level? At least there is this recognition that such ideas will affect people negatively, the lower the wages?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What about people who are barely above that poverty level? At least there is this recognition that such ideas will affect people negatively, the lower the wages?
here is how the prebate works

http://www.fairtax.org/PDF/PrebateExplained2012.pdf

Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
We're technically looking at a progressive fix to taxation, aren't we?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
We're technically looking at a progressive fix to taxation, aren't we?
everyone at the register point of sale would pay 23 %

Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
everyone at the register point of sale would pay 23 %
And then use prebate to address the lack of progressive nature of the taxes, because without it, we're looking at added burden on lower wage earners and want to alleviate it. THAT is the fundamental premise of progressive taxation.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
And then use prebate to address the lack of progressive nature of the taxes, because without it, we're looking at added burden on lower wage earners and want to alleviate it. THAT is the fundamental premise of progressive taxation.
Lower wage earners would find that paying no FICA no SS no gas no federal Cigarette tax while getting the prebate would leave them better off. I would love to have 100% of my salary paid to me then i could decide how much i wanted to spend on a car or TV based on how much more tax I would pay. I could also decide if i wanted ground chuck or sirloin. A millionaire buying a yacht would pay alot more them I would buying a car. And all transactions based on used materials like used cars are not taxed. used clothes not taxed, used cars not taxed. It would empower people to use their own money how they want .

Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Then let's get that idiot in the White House out of office so we can get some jobs back in this country.
Huh, the fools in congress might have alot more to do with that. Oh I did not know that the jobs all left the country in 08
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies