Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,515,398 times

Advertisements

Here is my take, IF a American Co. puts Americans out of work and moves out of America just to make ugly mega profit then that Co.'s products should be taxed and tariff'ed to the extent of the damage it did in leaving the U.S. AND they don't like it simply ban that Co. from importing back into the U.S. I have no problem with some Co. trying to get rich just NOT while hurting Americans while employing slave labor and in Countries hostile to the U.S. like Red China.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
China, as with Australia and Japan have regulations regarding partial/percentage manufacturing to occur within their borders in order for certain types of product to be sold there. Occurs with aircraft as well and Boeing is in all three countries.

These countries look out for their own interests.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Why don't you spend $760 million putting Americans back to work and supporting our economy???

Ford says to build new, multi-million plant in China
Are you aware Ford did not take a Gov hand out?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
Quote:
Here is my take, IF a American Co. puts Americans out of work and moves out of America just to make ugly mega profit then that Co.'s products should be taxed and tariff'ed to the extent of the damage it did in leaving the U.S. AND they don't like it simply ban that Co. from importing back into the U.S. I have no problem with some Co. trying to get rich just NOT while hurting Americans while employing slave labor and in Countries hostile to the U.S. like Red China.!
Ford employs 45,000 UAW-represented workers in the U.S.

Just because they are doing business in China doesn't mean that they have left the United States.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Ford is making cars in China for distribution IN China. These cars won't be sold in the US.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Why don't you spend $760 million putting Americans back to work and supporting our economy???
Probably because for is opening a plant in India.

Quote:
Show us the math.

So, it's okay if Americans hurt other people, but if Americans are hurt, it is somehow wrong, is that what you're saying?

So Jesus said, "Do unto others....then bomb then when they complain" right?

And the US employed slave labor. Why can't other countries? You sound like one of those "Do as I say, not as I do" idiots.

It's okay for the US to use child labor to fully complete industrialization, but then suddenly it's immoral and wrong for other countries to use child labor to fully complete industrialization (and never mind the fact that every country in history has had no choice but to use child labor to fully industrialize).

It's a good thing you aren't running the US, because if you were, you'd be doing a worse job than The Boy King could ever do.

Economically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You are both correct. The vehicles built are for the Chinese market and China, unlike the U.S., has strict rules on imports. Basically, it's "if you sell it in China you have to build it in China."

We should impose that rule on the Chinese.
You can't. Your economy would collapse. One reason you import is because you don't have the labor force to manufacture the goods that Americans demand for the Extravagant American Life-Style™.

In order to close your borders and manufacture everything that you consume, you would need about 760 Million over the age of 16.

So what are you willing to sacrifice?

Cell-phones, laptops or plasma TVs?

Choose wisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
But what I find the most amusing among the wingnuts is that they hate GM -- a premier American company. Why do they hate them?
Why?

I'll tell you why I hate GM; why I boycott GM products; why I recommend that all Americans boycott GM products; and why I will never own a GM product.

GM conspired to destroy private mass transit in the United States.

That's not a conspiracy theory; it's a fact.

There's an excellent PBS documentary in which the GM vice-president in charge of destroying private mass transit in the US confesses to god his mother and America.

GM engaged in a plan to systematically buy up all of the private mass transit in the US, sell off the best assets and run the companies into the ground for a tax dodge (to pay less corporate taxes).

GM destroyed private mass transit in order to deny Americans the use of mass transit in an attempt to force Americans to buy cars and provide GM with profits.

And apparently, Liberals think that's cool.

Because private mass transit collapsed in the mid-1960s, the US had virtually no mass transit during the time of the OPEC oil embargo, and that led to using tax payer money to restart mass transit effectively as a public utility.

And apparently, Liberals think that's cool, too.

GM has never atoned for their sin.

To atone for their sin, I would except either of the following:

1] GM reimburses all levels of government 100% of the total cost of public mass transit borne by tax payers since 1970.

2] GM provides each of the 110 Million households in the US two automobiles free of charge with free maintenance for 7 years.

3] GM reimburses all levels of government for 50% of the cost borne by taxpayers for public mass transit since 1970 and one free automobile to each of the 110 Million households.

When GM does either of those two things, then GM will have atoned for its sins, and I'll stop boycotting GM.

Morally...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You guys do realize the cost of living is lot lower in China right?
Wait a minute, reality is not permitted in this thread.

Reality checking....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Ford has around 90 plants and facilities worldwide.
Yes, and some people think a chimpanzee paid in peanuts can efficiently and effectively run those 90 facilities.

Noting...

Mircea

Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
It's called market expansion. You sell where you have the best chance to grow.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It would be very interesting to see that study. Without being able to scrutinize it, you may have well said that a unicorn flew over a rainbow - both are equally believable.
GM: The Most Successful Bailout Bankruptcy | The Big Picture
Quote:
The U.S. would have lost $28.6 billion in spending on social services and missing tax revenue if not for the bailout of GM, its former lending arm and Chrysler Group LLC, according to a study released Nov. 17 by the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

“GM ends up an economic contributor to the U.S. economy,” said Barry Ritholtz, author of “Bailout Nation” and chief executive officer of New York investment research firm FusionIQ. “It’s manufacturing products, it’s creating jobs, it’s buying wholesale parts, it’s doing what an industrial company is supposed to do.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies