U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:39 PM

19,183 posts, read 29,846,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I don't think everyone that is conservative fits into those molds though.
No, that's the problem with generalizations. But we need buzzwords if we are to keep posts under the level of thousands of words.

Quote:
I think that christian conservatives are the main reason why this study proves true.
I would agree with the point to a point. There are however those of the same sort of dependent mindset who have not come to any particular association with fundamentalist religion. Perhaps just a matter of opportunity or of higher that average social pressure to remain at least nominally within a religion of birth. Certainly, though, the theory of a fixed and absolute nature to things that is espoused by many fundie sects would, as internalized, suggest a low probability of achievinbg a high score on this particular test.

Quote:
like I've said in another post... its like the beaten abused housewife... that sticks up and protects her husband.
Yes, I saw that and thought the analogy quite an apt one as applied to the remaining right-wing hard-core, still unwavering in their support for what is now abject failure.

Quote:
There are plenty of conservatives that actually weigh the facts and believe what they believe because it is logical to them.
Sometimes referred to as paleo-conservatives, but the vast majority of those has left the sinking ship long ago. If indeed they were ever truly on board...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 03:36 PM

11,128 posts, read 13,389,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Sometimes referred to as paleo-conservatives, but the vast majority of those has left the sinking ship long ago. If indeed they were ever truly on board...
There are few left, sad to say. They were indeed the "thinking" conservative as they took the strongest issue with notions of fiscal responsibility and the constraints of Federal governmental authority, all subjects which require some level of thought. Today's social conservatives rely much more heavily on faith instead of thought, to which neoconservatives were more than happy to do their thinking for them.

I only hope that the Ron Paul run for President will instill some of the paleoconservative views back to the forefront of the party platform even if his bid runs aground.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:38 PM

61,294 posts, read 81,479,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
OK, I know this is kind of a mouthful and I can't exactly fit it all into the title so I'm going to be up front in the opening post about it all (i.e. don't ding me a rep).

A study came out and showed that....

[In a rapid response test—you press a button if you're given one signal, but not if you're given a different signal—the authors found that conservatives were "more likely to make errors of commission," whereas "stronger liberalism was correlated with greater accuracy." They concluded that "a more conservative orientation is related to greater persistence in a habitual response pattern, despite signals that this response pattern should change."]

To me that means that conservatives tend to get locked into one way of thinking, and even when the facts change, they have a hard time changing their mental outlook (Iraq war is against the terrorists behind 9/11, Saddam has WMD, Republicans are more "fiscally restrained, etc anyone?).

Here is the study:
Neurocognitive correlates of liberalism and conservatism - Nature Neuroscience (broken link)

And lest anyone think I am trying to say righties are dumb, here is a page from the liberal Slate.com that is attacking the contention that this means liberals are smarter (more adaptive to new info yes... the "smarter" thing is inconclusive from this study).

Rigging a study to make conservatives look stupid. - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine
men of principle tend to be rigid and strong headed.
this is ok unless they are spending money like emelda markos.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-16-2007, 05:01 PM

5,396 posts, read 7,412,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
men of principle tend to be rigid and strong headed.
this is ok unless they are spending money like emelda markos.
stephen s
san diego ca
Or if they happen to be wrong. Then that rigid principle becomes pig headed stupidity. We passed that threshold shortly after "Mission Accomplished."

Old 09-16-2007, 05:23 PM

19,183 posts, read 29,846,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I only hope that the Ron Paul run for President will instill some of the paleoconservative views back to the forefront of the party platform even if his bid runs aground.
I think it's a good thing that Paul has his hat in the ring. He creates at least some break in the hegemony of conventional thinking that the others offer. But I don't think I could support him. I'm a bit of a pragmatist, and Ron doesn't always offer a lot of pragma...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies