Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,868,930 times

Advertisements

Yeah the Republican answer to everything. Lower everyone's wages but those of the very top. Then force the middle class to pay higher taxes than the very top. Then argue that the real problems of our society are gay marriage and the fact that employers might have to spend a few pennies on birth control.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,726,234 times
The plutocrat ideal is an economy with very few owners and a whole lot of owned. In out "two tier jobs" situation a very few own, a small professional, including the Military, class serves their needs, and a low paid slave wage class does all the hard work. Every society that chose empire over mass prosperity has fallen for this trap and been eventually destroyed from its own inefficiency.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,426,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Poverty?

110 Million US Households
99 Million US Households with cable, satellite or both
90 Million US Households with internet service
47 Million US Households receiving Food Stamps.

I live right around poverty level (some months a bit above some months a lit below) and I have internet service.

It enables me to earn money online.

Is that a problem?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,726,234 times
Of course it is a problem. Poor people are supposed to suffer in the dark with little food and no luxuries to pay for their unforgivable sin of being poor. Poor people are not supposed to have cars, phones, TV, Cable, or recorders. Those are reserved for those that can afford them (with oversubscribed credits cards anyway) and are not for the sinful impoverished. After all people have to be coerced into working don’t they?

Haven’t you read the Rules of Mammon? The poor are supposed to suffer so much they will sell themselves and family into slavery. Without salves or the equivalent underpaid workers, how would the rich maintain their exclusivity, power and wealth? Those that sell their souls to Mammon are rewarded with power and prestige.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:47 AM

20,692 posts, read 19,330,479 times
It is another disaster of the crony-welfare complex, no doubt.

While it is hard for me to really concern myself with food stamps as a budget phenomenon, which is a drop in the bucket especially considering we subsidize the over production of junk food as it is, it does have many ill effects.

Euell Gibbons was definitely a product of this kind of necessity. He is an important pillar in the criticism of factory food. The poor are now so dependent on the state, they would not dream of it. I certainly blame the criminals of Wall Street, but for lack of everything else, better to have evil masters for this crop of truly helpless welfare fodder. More and more it seems that they do not ask for opportunity, but for the mere satiation of their dumb senses.

No affordable nutritious food? Really? Wild lettuce can't be easier. Its a pot herb children will eat if prepared properly.

Frustrated gardeners who cannot grow this next one? No one can figure out how to kill it.

Got Pests?

Even more invasive is this one.

Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata) - Invasive Species - WDNR (http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/fact/garlic.htm - broken link)

It grows in shade in half the forest preserves in the US in vast amounts. Its probably higher than anything in nutritional density.

Compare nutritional value
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Lambsquarters, raw

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Spinach, raw

That is not even close to all the examples. However welfare just saps any desire to innovate and this is a classic example.

Well done crony-welfare complex.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,238,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
So solving the huge problem of the "two tier" system should not be solved and running away is the favored option.......
Its not me who has a problem with status quo but by the mood and attitude of some of the posters on this forum you'd think they were living in some kind of perpetual hell called America.Thus the suggestion if its that bad here...leave..

Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,840,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its not me who has a problem with status quo but by the mood and attitude of some of the posters on this forum you'd think they were living in some kind of perpetual hell called America.Thus the suggestion if its that bad here...leave..
Run Rabbit run............ that is your way is it?
I prefer to have the "let's fix the problems" attitude and NOT stick my head in the sand.
America used to be looked at by the World as the country of achievement, industry, innovation, fairness, great ideas, a fair days work for a fair days pay, love thy neighbour and the "American dream".............. No Longer.
The reason that America has stagnated is simple..... Greed and Corruption.
America now has awful standards of Education for millions.
America now has a absolutely broken and criminal health system that causes bankruptcy, suffering, death, is extremely expensive and fails millions here.
America has huge class warfare.... now two America's one rich,one poor.
America still has extreme bigotry in race, gender etc.
These are things that should be faced and changed but some here are so myopic they think that by recognising a problem means you are not Patriotic............. NEWSFLASH...... It is PATRIOTIC to want what is best for the Country and NOT settle for what is awful in a Country.
You want to sit on your hands with blinkers on and refuse to see any problems here... go right ahead but for some of us, America should be the greatest country once again and WE will do things to make that happen..... maybe one day the Republicans will have a idea as to rebuilding America but at the moment they are part of the problem and NOT part of the solution.........

Old 04-23-2012, 12:40 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,436,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lot of posters whining about how bad the country is being run,how the working half of the people are so hard done by by having to support the other half who apparently just sit around and collect government entitlements eg
So people who don't pay the federal income tax pay no other taxes, and also all collect government benefits? Wrong and wrong, by a long shot. I've never seen such ignorant nonsense.

It's pathetic how excited that some people get about this giant mass of mostly dark straw people who are robbing the country.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,238,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Run Rabbit run............ that is your way is it?
I prefer to have the "let's fix the problems" attitude and NOT stick my head in the sand.
America used to be looked at by the World as the country of achievement, industry, innovation, fairness, great ideas, a fair days work for a fair days pay, love thy neighbour and the "American dream".............. No Longer.
The reason that America has stagnated is simple..... Greed and Corruption.
America now has awful standards of Education for millions.
America now has a absolutely broken and criminal health system that causes bankruptcy, suffering, death, is extremely expensive and fails millions here.
America has huge class warfare.... now two America's one rich,one poor.
America still has extreme bigotry in race, gender etc.
These are things that should be faced and changed but some here are so myopic they think that by recognising a problem means you are not Patriotic............. NEWSFLASH...... It is PATRIOTIC to want what is best for the Country and NOT settle for what is awful in a Country.
You want to sit on your hands with blinkers on and refuse to see any problems here... go right ahead but for some of us, America should be the greatest country once again and WE will do things to make that happen..... maybe one day the Republicans will have a idea as to rebuilding America but at the moment they are part of the problem and NOT part of the solution.........
You paint a very bleak picture of todays America,for some the solution is as easy as voting Romney into power and he'll just fix everything.
Personally life is good dont change a thing..

Old 04-23-2012, 02:21 PM

8,614 posts, read 9,117,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Somebody has to step up and innovate and offer better paying jobs.
My fear is it may not matter. An American creates a fantastic new widget and off to China for manufacture. A handful of jobs in the US, 65,000 new jobs for Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies