Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who here would favor a flat federal tax rate of 25%?
Yes, that sounds like a sensible compromise. 8 32.00%
No, its unfair for low income/ high income groups. 17 68.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 02:56 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,946 times

Advertisements

How about all taxing is theft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 03:15 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
How about all taxing is theft?
Explicitly spelled out and authorized in the US Constitution, and for good reasons.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
...A flat tax of 25% would be a tax increase on all income levels. The average effective tax rate of all levels is below 25%.
How much tax do we really pay?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:36 PM

566 posts, read 958,339 times
LOL @ asking someone who makes $17k a year to pay 25% in taxes.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Why would I favor giving governamnt more money when they have clearly shown they can't actually produce creditable results.Money invested i governamnt is just money that goes to programs monay of which result in givig moeny to people who produce nothing . In the end its a losig propostion as more become depdnent on fewer and fewer as people dropout of supporting the funding.that is what we see now too mnay dependent on too few and increasing since the wealth sharing investment started in mid 60's.We how have more disfunstional people than ever.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
You must be married with kids. I am firmly in the middle class as well and paid an effective rate of around 18%. I am single and rent.

Why should I pay almost double what you pay in taxes just because I choose to be single and you chose to have a family, buy a house etc.? Why am I being penalized and you rewarded?
I am also single and rent. We make out much better that a family with a mortgage. That mortgage will cost then twice what they borrowed so that deduction is only food for a short time. We also do not get the tax deduction of kids with the trade off we do not pay for the costs of the kid.Monetary cost of children far outweigh the deduction. I have rented the same house for 15 years. In that time the land lord has had to pay for a bathroom to be rebuilt because of a busted pipe, house repainted, roof redone, foundation repaired, trees trimmed, taxes on the house,subfloor of laundry room had to be replaced and the place had to be rewired.Over the past 15 years they had to put 15000 more in house then my rent covers. Own a house not for me, renters win . I take the extra money i do not use on mortgage payments and put it in an Roth and am sitting on 100,000 .
Tax breaks for kids and houses work well for some, never made financial sense for me

Old 04-20-2012, 04:45 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Explicitly spelled out and authorized in the US Constitution, and for good reasons.

strange, as much as progressives are in favor of making everything more in line with the future, I am a bit suprised that alot of progressives actually want the current tax system, since it was instituted in 1913.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 PM

867 posts, read 498,356 times
Quote:
So here's my solution for the biggest political controversy facing our country - Taxes.

We all pay a flat tax rate of 25%. No exemptions, no deductions (house, marriage, kid) NOTHING on ALL income. No form of income will be exempt or taxed at a reduced rate. Rate applies to ALL individuals and corporations. Income will be taxed whether earned in US or overseas as long as you live and do business in the country.

No subsidies for ANY industry.

Only possible exemption for people making wages below poverty line who could be taxed at a nominal rate of 10%.

We get rid of all the complexity of the tax code. We can get rid of the armies of tax accountants and lawyers. No need for spending money on IRS. Lots of unnecessary overhead costs saved. No need for H&R block etc and other worthless industries.

This 25% rate can be reduced by 1% every two years till we reach 20% and balance the budget. Of course we will make some spending cuts as well. At that point EVRYONE pays 20%, no more, no less. The government learns to live within this 20% income budget.

Sound like a good compromise for liberals and conservatives?
Way too high. If you want a compromise 17%. If you want a great economy, economic growth and freedom renewed 12%.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 PM

867 posts, read 498,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Actually, the Constitution, as originally written and ratifed, specifically forbade the income tax.

That was changed by amendment passed under very questionable circumstances, and sold under the "promise" that it would never exceed 5% and apply only to the uber-rich. So much for promises from the ruling-class.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
If we reach a surplus, we save all of it for contingency and emergency purposes.
Are you saying the government won't spend every dime we give them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies